Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 12:32 PM

29,549 posts, read 14,701,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Obama had his ups and downs just like ever President before him and brace yourself... just like History will show with President Trump after his term or terms.

I liked Obama in his first term but in the second I started to suspect that he was not a fan of America when he wanted to fundamentally change it and the he stirred the pot of racism and brought it from a simmer to a boil. He did nothing to quell the violence and outright calls by groups to murder Police. There were so many questionable acts by Obama that it left one wondering whose side he was on such as inviting BLM to the white house, blaming the Benghazi attack on a stupid video while he and Hillary played politics and our people died and who could forget the Rose Garden ceremony honoring the return of the traitor Bowie Bergdahl ?

We all know that the mass media outside FOX and right wing shows treated Obama with kid gloves and elevated him to rock star status in the eyes of the masses. They worked on Obama's image just as hard as they are trying to now demolish Trumps.

I still think that Obama was a good President but he faltered on many things when he had a chance to really do amazing things.

Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Clinton was handed an economy in recession. Left with a booming economy.

Bush was handed a booming economy. Left office with an economy in ruins.

Obama was handed an economy in ruins. Left office with a booming economy.

Trump was handed a booming economy. We know how this turns out...
^ this.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,248,569 times
My insurance premium I pay went up 250% after Obamacare was passed. It had averaged 3-6% increases a year but jumped to 20-30% a year increases after OC and my deductible went up 3 times higher.

People who actually had to pay for the Obamacare (tax) out of their own pocket really got screwed.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It was quite the opposite for me. Was out of work for a year, my house value plummeted , and when I did get back to work I was making 30% less. I will say though, towards the end things did steadily increase. Pay is a bit better, still not pre '08, and I am finally above water on my home. One thing I don't remember prior to '08 is ever having to worry about health care. My employers always helped carry that with minimal amount taken from my check. Now , it's all out of pocket.
Do I blame all this on Obama, no. Did I like his policies, no. It is life, and I got thru it. That is the best we can do.
I can not agree with you on some things but I can also respect your attitude.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:37 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The president does not control the market, but can have massive influence on the it. Just look at the current idiot, er, president. Why do companies like Alcoa, suddenly out of seemingly nowhere, had to adjusted their revenue guidance down significantly? Why do the government has to give out billions of bailout? Why new cars suddenly are costing more? You can trace this all directly back to Trump's tariff.

Why did we have a housing bubble and a job-loss recovery under Bush? It's all due to the administration's protection of subprime mortgage and their economic policy.

In fact, this president has more than once moved the market with just one single tweet. That's all it takes. So don't tell me he has no effect on the market.

Dow falls 219 points after Trump tweets about Syria strike and tensions rise with Russia

Trump's latest tweet takes down Amazon stock and the Nasdaq

Trump’s pre-jobs report tweet moved the market

Great, you added some links that do nothing other than prove that you can day trade or swing trade based on news of the day.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Obama took office at the beginning of a historically bad recession, saved auto manufacturing, got Bin Laden and when he left office we were at 4% unemployment.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:40 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,937,333 times
Surprisingly, I've done the best under George W. Bush. That whole "everybody should be able to own a house" thing that precipitated the 2008 crash did WONDERS for my appraisal business. From 2001 - 2007 I made an absolute FORTUNE in my business. I worked 16 hour days for years and I could barely keep up with the workload. When the music stopped, I was 100% in CDs, so I didn't lose a penny. Goes to show that hard work & dumb luck will do it every time.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,246,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Alcoa is not "the market" nor are "new cars" nor are "bail outs" anyone can cherry pick a few stocks, but the market for investors is not significantly impacted by the POTUS in the long term.

Saying Alcoa is not the market is just saying Beyonce is not the music industry. Technically true, but completely missing the point. There are many more companies beside Alcoa who have been significantly impacted by the President. It only takes a few really big companies to be effected to qualifies as moving the market.

Quote:
but the market for investors is not significantly impacted by the POTUS in the long term.
Talk about moving the goal post. Now, it's the... Long term. Apparently, you've conceded that a president can have an impact in the short term.

Alright, let's run with your changed argument - it's still not true. If you're conceding that a president can impact the market in the short run; well guess what, the long term consists of many short term tied together. Every step of the way a president is affecting it. So maybe one single president do not have impact in the long term, but all the presidents combined definitely impact the stock market in the long term. An analogy is: taking one educational class likely do not affect your long term career, but all the classes combined most definitely have. With that knowledge, it makes perfect sense to scrutinize each and every president, just like how a good student would weight carefully what classes to take.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM

21,954 posts, read 9,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My insurance premium I pay went up 250% after Obamacare was passed. It had averaged 3-6% increases a year but jumped to 20-30% a year increases after OC and my deductible went up 3 times higher.

People who actually had to pay for the Obamacare (tax) out of their own pocket really got screwed.
I am one of those screwed people. Not only did I have to pay for Obamacare, I am STILL paying for it thanks to John McCain.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Saying Alcoa is not the market is just saying Beyonce is not the music industry. Technically true, but completely missing the point. There are many more companies beside Alcoa who have been significantly impacted by the President. It only takes a few really big companies to be effected to qualifies as moving the market.

Talk about moving the goal post. Now, it's the... Long term. Apparently, you've conceded that a president can have an impact in the short term.

Alright, let's run with your changed argument - it's still not true. If you're conceding that a president can impact the market in the short run; well guess what, the long term consists of many short term tied together. Every step of the way a president is affecting it. So many one single president do not have impact in the long term, but all the presidents combined definitely impact the stock market in the long term.

There are 10-15,000 stocks out there, you are just making up nonsense. Even 250 stocks cherry picked by you are not "the market"

I'm not moving goal posts, I'm not the one claiming that 4-8 year POTUS terms are controlling the market, which would be long term...although I've said that plenty of times before, and you provoked it by posting silly links to one time short term events. If you want to talk about trading and how a POTUS impacts that, sure like I said, daily news and politics will sway things but at the end of the day its the fundamentals of the companies, not some brainless wonder in the Oval Office pulling mythical levers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies