Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Welcome to the machine, globalism. It is all about marketing in a global economy. The ability to sell this movie across the globe. Make no mistake, all Hollywood movies are adjusted for gender, race and nationality in order to sell movies. If the American flag offends the Chinese, don't make the scene, or edit it out. BS for sure, but politically correct in movies translates into mega bucks world wide.
Capitalism, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Anybody seen the movie yet?

Old 08-31-2018, 09:56 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Capitalism, eh?
Absolutely. If the movie was only to be shown at Andrews AFB, the flag scene would exist. World wide, forget about it. If it was only to be shown in Africa, Blacks would be portraid in much larger numbers in the movie. Again it really is about the ability to market the movie on a global scale.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Absolutely. If the movie was only to be shown at Andrews AFB, the flag scene would exist. World wide, forget about it. If it was only to be shown in Africa, Blacks would be portraid in much larger numbers in the movie. Again it really is about the ability to market the movie on a global scale.
It's just one of these things. If the movie can't be sold in huge numbers, it won't be made in the first place.

Everyone can dream up the perfect Apollo 11 movie that fits their own perspective. Until they secure the funding and get a script and hustle up actors and whatnot - until they run the risk, put in the work and get the damn movie made - I'll feel free to point out that their complaints are just comments from the sideline.

Obviously the movie that exists in real life will never measure up to the hyperpatriot version with fluttering flags and bald eagles and Nixon-as-statesman shots that some are now busily dreaming up. But it will exist, and their imaginary version won't.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:39 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
If an SJW liberal mother-in-law directed this, she might have had Armstrong be portrayed as Black transgender illegal immigrant that is a Muslim.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:49 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What bothers me is they’re making a movie based upon a historical event and they intentionally chose to leave out the American flag. The astronauts were USA military pilots who went to the moon in a race between USA & USSR. Those are historical facts. Why not rewrite the movie so the first person on the moon is a transgender transsexual multiracial Muslim person
Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't use the crew from Ghostbusters II for this.

If you're going to make a historical movie-make it historically accurate. Otherwise it's just fictional entertainment. Space 1999 might be comparable...

How is removing the flag to make this event into something it was not, not a form of cultural appropriation? Isn't that bayd?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,374 times
"Ralph Abernathy organized a Poor People's Campaign during the launch of Apollo 11, where he marched to Cape Canaveral with four mules, two wagons and 25 poor African-American families, and he demanded a meeting with Thomas Paine, who was the head of NASA at the time. And they met very dramatically in this field just outside the gates of the Kennedy Space Center, and Abernathy said to Paine, I want you to to turn your science and technology back around and help poor people, African-Americans in the ghetto."

https://www.dw.com/en/of-white-guys-...ica/a-44034246

Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Anybody seen the movie yet?
I didn't make it through it. Walked out after Armstrong said

"That's one small step for a self-identified white cis male, one giant leap for humankind."

Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I didn't make it through it. Walked out after Armstrong said

"That's one small step for a self-identified white cis male, one giant leap for humankind."
Why would you go see a movie about the state using funds confiscated at gunpoint? I would have thought you'd be in line for the movie about the space program that was funded without government coercion. OK, so there never was one, but still...

Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why would you go see a movie about the state using funds confiscated at gunpoint? I would have thought you'd be in line for the movie about the space program that was funded without government coercion. OK, so there never was one, but still...
I was joking!

Haven't seen it. The government hasn't built a road between my house and the movie theatre yet and god knows I can't build one myself. Concrete only hardens when poured by a government worker.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies