Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Now, I don't think this was the proper time and place for grandstanding like that.

That said, of course some will get upset at the message, because it's the painful truth.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ms/1163498002/

Quote:
The Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. of the Salem Bible Church in Atlanta touched on Franklin's life and career but also criticized black-on-black crime and said single mothers are incapable of raising sons by themselves. He said black America has lost its soul and that it's "now time for black America to come back home."

"There was a time when we as a race had a thriving economy," Williams said. "I remember we had our own little grocery stores. We had our own little hotels. They weren't big and fancy, but they were ours. ...

"As bad as the days as Jim Crow and segregation were ... it forced us to each other instead of forcing us on each other. We quickly come to realize that as a people, all we really have is one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Amen to that brother.
It's about time this country's black community hears some home truths from one of their own.
It's about time black men stop killing other black men over drugs in huge numbers every year.
It's about time blacks stop blaming everyone and everything else for their problems and look into their own souls.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:55 AM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Now, I don't think this was the proper time and place for grandstanding like that.

That said, of course some will get upset at the message, because it's the painful truth.

It's never the time to discuss the reality of Black-American subculture for the folks who always claim to want "an honest conversation on race."

Nothing to see here!

Old 09-01-2018, 02:50 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Was Rev. Williams eulogizing his race or Aretha Franklin ?
That wasn't the only grandstanding I saw. The biggest racist had a front row seat and others had a chance to show their racism and bigotry. I wonder what Aretha Franklin had in mind and if she would have approved. Not for me to say. I only wonder.
I thought it generally in poor taste what some had to say and what others wore and the way they acted. Others were more respectable so I suppose there was something for everyone. Maybe that was the goal or idea. Some were celebrating her life and others were celebrating their own life.
Al Sharpton did his bit of disgusting political bloviating in the usual self-serving mockery of decency.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:59 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
So when do the white people on C-D think black people should discuss this? I'm sure they'd love to hear (y)our opinions on the subject. America thinks we get to dictate what we think is right onto other people we don't know. There were at least two threads here on Sarah Palin not being invited to Senator McCain's campaign. There's also a wealth of opinions on how NFL players should protest. We don't want them to kneel before a game or to take it on Twitter and we certainly don't want them holding up signs on the streets. The horror.

So now people who were not at Aretha Franklin's memorial service suddenly feel they can tell her family and supporters how to mourn the dead. SMH

Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Well, these issues are discussed among “black” people. Some would have preferred it not be broadcasted in this manner but at least now people cannot say that they are not addressed among “black” people themselves. They are. Plenty pastors don’t put water in their mouths to say anything.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:23 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:

Actually that was the perfect time for that message which needs to be said. Of course it's an 'uproar' and 'controversial' because the left wing media doesn't like it. Bottom line is that too many people out there, in the words of Jack Nicholson - can't handle the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA

Old 09-01-2018, 04:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ms/1163498002/Quote:
The Rev. Jasper Williams Jr. of the Salem Bible Church in Atlanta touched on Franklin's life and career but also criticized black-on-black crime and said single mothers are incapable of raising sons by themselves. He said black America has lost its soul and that it's "now time for black America to come back home."

"There was a time when we as a race had a thriving economy," Williams said. "I remember we had our own little grocery stores. We had our own little hotels. They weren't big and fancy, but they were ours. ...

"As bad as the days as Jim Crow and segregation were ... it forced us to each other instead of forcing us on each other. We quickly come to realize that as a people, all we really have is one another.
No matter which group someone is from children raised in single parent families are much worse off than those raised in two parent families.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:35 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
It's not grandstanding if Aretha Franklin held these views. It may have been the eulogy that she wanted. We just don't know.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:37 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:

What was Bill Clinton ding there, other than perving around and drooling over Ariana Grande.

Aretha Franklin Funeral: Internet frenzy at Bill Clinton’s gaze during Ariana Grande’s performance in Detroit - London Evening Standard

Did Bill Clinton check out Ariana Grande at Aretha Franklin's funeral - Metro

Please keep Bill Clinton away from Ariana Grande - Washington Examiner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies