Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times

Advertisements

Training is so bad, hitting the wrong hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 01:54 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
All I can say is that sex ed when I was in high school was like, "Don't have sex: here's a powerpoint presentation of nasty pictures of people who contracted STDs." I'm in the U.S. If my experience was common, it's a miracle we don't have more teen pregnancies.
There was nothing when I was in high school either. The girls I knew who were sexually active were either on the pill or used other bc methods. A couple of girls got pregnant because they were careless, not because they were ignorant. School was not expected to teach those things, it was parents, older siblings, books, - not school. Also there was the fear factor, our parents would say, Whatever you do- do NOT come home pregnant! And they meant it. No one wanted to deal with that fallout. One of the pregnant girls in hs got kicked out of her house.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:04 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I had my first sexual experience at 13, I was in 7th grade in middle school, many of my classmates were having their first experience around the same time too, this was in the mid 80s...
The OP may call what you had sexual assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
If both pregnancy and abortion rates fall, isn't that a good thing? I don't know how sexually active teens are today, but if they're taking precautions, I call that a good thing. As for whether they're actually "doing it" or not, eh...whatever. Let people do their own thing regarding sex - including none at all if that's their choice. Ridiculing people for not having sex is every bit as bad as the most puritanical fundamentalists scorning people for having sex out of wedlock. In fact, I'll even go so far as to say that people forgot the whole purpose of the Sexual Revolution - only instead of scorning "whores", more people these days scorn "virgins". Do you really think that's what the Sexual Revolution was supposed to be about? Seriously?
Couple of good points here.

I'm a recovered alcoholic and also am recovered from A.A. meetings too.

We talked about sex in A.A. because sex is a God-given instinct that will lead some of us to drinking which in turn will kill us.

"We think sex is God-given and therefore good, not to be used selfishly nor loathed."

I paraphrase. "Some would have us on a straight pepper-diet while others would leave us with no flavor for our fare."

There again, paraphrased.

Read page 69 of the A.A. Big Book if you want more.

Since God wrote it, proof He/She/FlyingSpaghettiMonster has a sense of humor.

"Some bewail the institution of Marriage!"

Did you unjustifiably arouse jealousy bitterness or suspicion?

Um yeah, like every day!

If your gonna sin, enjoy it at least, or you're doing it wrong.- sponsor.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-10-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 02:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
The opposite side of the argument is data is that STD's are going up.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:25 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Sex ED didn't exist when I was a kid. From what I heard about it when my kids were in high school was that it was more about political correctness than sexual function. Many kids had the quaint notion that they could not get pregnant the first time they did it. Everything necessary for conception is there, first time of 100th time.

My kids are now in their mid 50s now, but I doubt if it has changed.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:35 PM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
From what I've seen and read, young people are more juvenile in all areas than they used to be. An 18-year-old today is like a 15-year-old was in the '80s. There's a huge generational difference, at least here in Japan. Kids here used to drive loud motorcycles day and night. Girls all wore miniskirts, even in January. Now, if you see them in public at all, they're just looking at their phones. They're sheltered and docile, and if they're horny they have the internet... no real need for an actual partner who could get pregnant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree with this. When I watch movies of teens in the 80s and earlier, they seem so much more feisty, aggressive, and risk-taking than nowadays, or even when I was a teenager in the mid-late 2000s.

At my school, no one cared about anything but getting into a top university. The popular kids were the ones with the highest marks.
That’s an interesting hypothesis. My own perception is that the infantilization of youth and young-adults is far from comprehensive.

Today’s young people are far more advanced and more mature than their predecessors in matters of investment and finance, academics, career-mindedness and the importance of burnishing a resume. They have embraced what might be termed upper-middle-class respectability. They’re more studious, more disciplined and more reserved in behavior and speech. But they’re less mature in what the popular culture used to term the traditional rites of passage… cars, sex, alcohol, moving out of the parental home, striking out of their own, etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Sex ED didn't exist when I was a kid. From what I heard about it when my kids were in high school was that it was more about political correctness than sexual function. Many kids had the quaint notion that they could not get pregnant the first time they did it. Everything necessary for conception is there, first time of 100th time.

My kids are now in their mid 50s now, but I doubt if it has changed.

I'm almost 40. In 3rd grade we learned all the anatomically correct parts - this was back in 1987 I believe.

By junior high (7th grade) we learned the entire process of baby making and watched a video of a birth. There was an animation of all the microscopic stuff.

In 8th grade we learned of the world of STDs (now called STIs according to my high school son). We were shown what every known STD looked like (on various places of the body - genitals, behind, face, etc) - it was disgusting lol. My son said it was disgusting too - especially the herpes of eye picture. Interestingly, my son had the same "Health" book we had in high school and I've been out of high school over 20 years!

But we got a VERY in depth sexual education. We also were told about places to get free condoms and free or low cost birth control for the girls.

I am American though but in depth sex-ed has been in most schools in America for many decades. Where I lived, we had the highest teen pregnancy rates in the state and so our area was targeted for intense sex ed when I was a kid - I found this out later from my old teachers who are now facebook friends of mine. The sex ed did work and the rates have been more than cut in half of teen pregnancy since I was a kid. I remember in junior high, I actually knew kids who were already parents and they were only 12-14 years old - I knew quite a few of them. One of my best friends back then had a baby at age 13. I was only one of 5 girls in my graduating class from high school who either wasn't pregnant or who didn't already have a child. I knew a girl in high school who had 4 kids when she was 16 (she had a set of twins and 2 single births).

Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
I have flat out told my kids, the only way not to get pregnant/get a girl pregnant is not to have sex. It is the only 100% certain way. I have further told them that the quickest way to poverty is teen pregnancy.

The STD's are being handled in school, with pictures. Those did more to caution my son than anything.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That’s an interesting hypothesis. My own perception is that the infantilization of youth and young-adults is far from comprehensive.

Today’s young people are far more advanced and more mature than their predecessors in matters of investment and finance, academics, career-mindedness and the importance of burnishing a resume. They have embraced what might be termed upper-middle-class respectability. They’re more studious, more disciplined and more reserved in behavior and speech. But they’re less mature in what the popular culture used to term the traditional rites of passage… cars, sex, alcohol, moving out of the parental home, striking out of their own, etc.
Thanks, that's a good analysis. I don't doubt that it describes many young people quite well.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:54 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Could it be that teenage girls are great at finding ways to bet BC pills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies