Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not tired of trump, I just wish he shut up, no memo, no twitter, no town hall. just quiet, two week of nothing in the news about him, quiet
Ain't happening. He's just not capable of shutting up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've voted in every Congressional and Presidential election since I was legally able to vote in 2004. I've probably voted in the majority of primaries and municipal elections as well.

I've gone from voting straight Democrat in 2004/2006/2008, to voting virtually straight Republican since. I'm enthusiastically pro-Trump. I think he has been an amazing President for the white working class.

However, on a personal level, I'm tired of the day to day political process. I'm tired of the news. I'm following news less. I'm more likely to skim headlines than read long-form articles. I'm tired of the consistent bickering, gridlock, so on and so forth. I actually canceled my NYT subscription. I've kept my Economist subscription, but it's far more analytical, balanced, and less partisan than my other sources.

As I get older, the constant political tug-of-war seems to have less and less appeal. While I have my personal political views, I'm less and less likely to get involved in the advocacy of those beliefs. I've previously focused a lot of my personal energy, effort, and such on national politics. As I age, I realize my influence on the national scale is nothing, on the state level - it's still small, but on the local level - I may be able to do enough to get noticed. Local politics, no matter where I am, will be my focus from here on out. It feels pointless to swim with or against national political tides - you'll just tire yourself out swimming against it, or be one in a choir swimming with it.

Our society has numerous problems. With more age and experience, I'm convinced that the solutions are not political.

How tired of you of national politics?

I can't stand politics at all, I think all politicians are just one step up from Child Molesters, some are not as bad as others. There was a time when political service was considered a honor, and not a job path or career.

But as screwed up as are political parties are, it is still a much better system of government than most other countries around the world.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I think Trump would be a lot more popular if it wasn't for the constant drama. I know what most of us hate about him is what his loyal supporters like about him (the crass, bullying attitude and the fact that he makes the media go nuts), but a large deal of anti-Trump sentiment comes not from policy decisions but from the temperament in which he is conducting himself and the perceived incompetence. And no, the Trump supporter excuse that all media except pro-Trump sources like Fox are fake doesn't fly with me.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:16 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've voted in every Congressional and Presidential election since I was legally able to vote in 2004. I've probably voted in the majority of primaries and municipal elections as well.

I've gone from voting straight Democrat in 2004/2006/2008, to voting virtually straight Republican since. I'm enthusiastically pro-Trump. I think he has been an amazing President for the white working class.

However, on a personal level, I'm tired of the day to day political process. I'm tired of the news. I'm following news less. I'm more likely to skim headlines than read long-form articles. I'm tired of the consistent bickering, gridlock, so on and so forth. I actually canceled my NYT subscription. I've kept my Economist subscription, but it's far more analytical, balanced, and less partisan than my other sources.

As I get older, the constant political tug-of-war seems to have less and less appeal. While I have my personal political views, I'm less and less likely to get involved in the advocacy of those beliefs. I've previously focused a lot of my personal energy, effort, and such on national politics. As I age, I realize my influence on the national scale is nothing, on the state level - it's still small, but on the local level - I may be able to do enough to get noticed. Local politics, no matter where I am, will be my focus from here on out. It feels pointless to swim with or against national political tides - you'll just tire yourself out swimming against it, or be one in a choir swimming with it.

Our society has numerous problems. With more age and experience, I'm convinced that the solutions are not political.

How tired of you of national politics?
I feel the same. I was very interested in politics, although I have been an independent most of my life and I don't align with any of the current ideologies. But I paid attention. Now I mostly ignore it, because it has become increasingly irrational and tribal.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Trump would be a lot more popular if it wasn't for the constant drama. I know what most of us hate about him is what his loyal supporters like about him (the crass, bullying attitude and the fact that he makes the media go nuts), but a large deal of anti-Trump sentiment comes not from policy decisions but from the temperament in which he is conducting himself and the perceived incompetence. And no, the Trump supporter excuse that all media except pro-Trump sources like Fox are fake doesn't fly with me.
This assumes trump has capabilities, intelligences, patience and redeeming qualities. But he doesn't.

But since this is an internet game, let this super-liberal say this.....

If Trump would have gotten into office...and said "you know, I understand that I am supported by a minority (my base), but I really do want to govern everyone and help this country"....

and, then, as a first action, said:

"you know, the economy is on a 9 year bull run and the deficit has come way down...thanks to Obama and the Congress! Let's pull together and prove we can do it - and balance the budget within 3 years" (easy...it was headed down quickly)......

A few things like that and I'd "support" him...I use it in quotes, because he is still a horrible human being to his wife and women in general and still ripped off so many people, etc......

BUT, if the action actions would have dovetailed with what is truly needed, I'd have come along for some of the ride. No, I wouldn't donate or attend a rally - but I would support NOT having tax cuts and perhaps even cutting loopholes and raising taxes.

That would being America together. Imagine......

Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM

923 posts, read 495,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post

Evidently neither are leftists who are afflicted with Trump Derangement Syndrome

Old 09-10-2018, 08:49 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Evidently neither are leftists who are afflicted with Trump Derangement Syndrome
Call it what you will, but neither I nor any other liberal I know is going to shut up as long as that farce of a man is in the White House.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im not tired of trump, I just wish he shut up, no memo, no twitter, no town hall. just quiet, two week of nothing in the news about him, quiet
How ironic, I feel the same about Obama.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
You better not get tired of politics....this is a Republic.

If you want to govern yourself....read, think and then vote.

Otherwise in the future...there might be people telling you what and when to do what they want you to do!!!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Back in the day 30-40 years ago Demos and Republican, conservate, liberals would work together in smoke filled back rooms. Deals would be stuck and the country would move forward. The word compromise was part of the political process.
Everyone should miss those days because compromise is how our government used to work for the good of our country. Our government has become so dysfunctional and divisive though and very few are willing to cross party lines. Now if any Republican tries to work with Democrats, they are called a Rino and scorned. Our country needs to get back to the days of compromise but sadly it won't. They have their own agendas and aspirations which don't seem to include the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies