Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 09:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,964,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The current platforms, YT, FB, Twitter, Apple, etc., have partnered with the government and they are the modern public square. Free speech does apply.

Suuure. The left (Silicon Valley) basically controls the internet, they can silence any platform that the right creates.
It doesn't matter how dominant the current platforms are, What matters is whether there are other platforms or whether new platforms can be created. And the answer is yes, there are other platforms and yes, new platforms can be created. So free speech does not apply. The government (which is headed by a conservative, and both houses in the legislature are controlled by conservatives, and the judiciary has many conservatives) is not trying to shut down conservative voices.

Moreover, QAnon and Alex Jones both have platforms independent of these social media giants. And those platforms have NOT been silenced, despite the conservative paranoia about their rights being violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,964,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Social media is awash in occupy democrats , the 98% etc, who post the most hateful fear mongering claims. Dems own the hate and fear mongering franchise.
Evidently not. Since conservatives are certainly posting hate and fear quite prodigiously.

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
Quote:
How do you get "furrowing his brow" out of them actually beating people?
Who was kicked off for "vile content and harassment"?

But hey...
Trump supporting Army Ranger and Benghazi hero was booted off Twitter for telling a moronic lefty that obama was not the one who had killed bin Laden.

Trump hater tweets a threat saying he was going to mass murdering Trump supporters - he's still on Twitter. (twitter probably gave the guy a participation trophy, too)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/35639...-ryan-saavedra
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/twitter-user-threatens-mass-murder-of-trump-supporters-account-still-active/

Did anyone report that tweet? Mods often do nothing unless they are told to check out a post.

23,795 posts, read 13,316,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's a private company so they can do as they wish.

Having said that all they're doing is helping Trump win in 2020.
I'm pretty sure most of the country could not care less about a Reddit, Subreddit or any other low priority minor stuff that has no effect on their lives.

I've never been on Reddit and really don't care who they are shutting down--liberals or conservatives. And it certainly would not affect who I vote for in 2020.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the country could not care less about a Reddit, Subreddit or any other low priority minor stuff that has no effect on their lives.

I've never been on Reddit and really don't care who they are shutting down--liberals or conservatives. And it certainly would not affect who I vote for in 2020.
Whether you go on it or not is irrelevant. It’s the #6 most popular website on the internet . Right under Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...pular_websites

Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 AM

13,267 posts, read 21,899,203 times
Quote:
The current platforms, YT, FB, Twitter, Apple, etc., have partnered with the government
I must have missed the memo. Please elaborate.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,005,662 times
Quote:
The current platforms, YT, FB, Twitter, Apple, etc., have partnered with the government and they are the modern public square. Free speech does apply.

Suuure. The left (Silicon Valley) basically controls the internet, they can silence any platform that the right creates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I must have missed the memo. Please elaborate.
While I certainly understand that free speech applies to government suppression of it, I find bans on these public platforms a little troubling for a different reason. I wouldn't call them "partnerships" but almost every major agency relies on FB and/or Twitter as means for emergency communications on critical and sometimes life saving info.

I think there needs to be a middle ground somewhere. Ban people who are abusive from tweeting or posting but allow them read access so they can be informed on critical information. Its almost as if Twitter and FB have unofficially replaced things like the emergency broadcast system and the news. Its definitely more efficient, faster, and further reaching.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:10 AM

24,099 posts, read 12,834,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It doesn't matter how dominant the current platforms are, What matters is whether there are other platforms or whether new platforms can be created. And the answer is yes, there are other platforms and yes, new platforms can be created. So free speech does not apply. The government (which is headed by a conservative, and both houses in the legislature are controlled by conservatives, and the judiciary has many conservatives) is not trying to shut down conservative voices.
I'm not saying they can't be created. Being created is one thing, able to use it is another...unless the right also creates their own internet, or just uses Tor(lol).

Quote:
Moreover, QAnon and Alex Jones both have platforms independent of these social media giants. And those platforms have NOT been silenced, despite the conservative paranoia about their rights being violated.
Yet.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:11 AM

5,316 posts, read 2,126,401 times
Quote:

No they aren't the modern public square. The Internet is, if anything.

If compared to a mall, these are the private owned shops that are around the common open areas. Stores themselves can make rules about if people can put up flyers, ask for signatures, etc. These social media companies can make rules. All of these people getting banned signed a TOS.

With utilities like phone and TV, businesses using these (not the phone or cable companies, the users) don't have to stay on the phone and let you harass them or air your channel/show.

Making them somehow the actual public square would involve court cases and government interference, taking away more rights, much less fundamentally changing what the Internet is.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 AM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
Ahhhh, remember when the internet was a place for free and open exchanges of ideas?!?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies