Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are school fights really that common? There were never any when I was in middle or high school.
Did you grow up in Mayberry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:12 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Are school fights really that common? There were never any when I was in middle or high school.
I know fights were somewhat common when I was in school in the ‘70s and ‘80s. I’d say a lot in junior high, then tapered off in high school. I think junior high because of the age. By the time they got to high school they had matured a little more.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
I'm Traci, and I approve this beat down.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:32 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most bullying no longer involves physical violence.

Social media is a far more powerful weapon.

There’s this old goat living in the WH who could see his favorability ratings soar if he ceased online bullying like a middle school kid.
Only insecure people worry about what is said on social media. It's only words that you aren't even forced to read. You have ALL the power, not the bully. Physical bullying is much worse because you HAVE to deal with it and the bully has all the power.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Only insecure people worry about what is said on social media. It's only words that you aren't even forced to read. You have ALL the power, not the bully. Physical bullying is much worse because you HAVE to deal with it and the bully has all the power.
Not to mention physical bullies usually verbally bully too.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Reminds me of the election. White people tired of being bullied by the left.

And someone manages to politicise it and make it about the lib'ruls on page 1. I am impressed. Don't forget to look under your bed for lib'rul boogeymen.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Worldstar! What a bunch of imbeciles gathered around.

I liked the sound when her melon hits the ground.

This is my favorite video since this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEANmPdmmk

Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It disturbs me very much that no one, especially the boys standing around, stepped in to protect this cheerleader from the massive sized female bully or stop the fight. Instead, they stood around whooping, filming, and cheering. disgusting behavior by the 'spectators'.
That's what people mean when they say "ghetto culture" or refer to "thugs". That's those spectators right there. These people cause most of the problems in society.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Not to mention physical bullies usually verbally bully too.
Yes, what I meant was physically in their presence.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
A lot to say on here, but I'll try to be shorter than usual. Nobody knows what happened before the video started. So it's pointless to say who started what. Maybe the taunter was retaliating against an earlier indignity from the cheerleader not caught on video. But then again, maybe the video does show the full story. No way to know. So it's pointless to address that

*I firmly believe in right to self-defense.

*Like crime, bullying can be reduced but not eliminated (in fact, not only does it already overlap with crime, even where it doesn't overlap with actual crime, it's often a stepping stone or predictor of future crime - even if "only" white-collar crime and "conning" type crimes).

*Ultimately, the only way to really, really reduce bullying in a big way is to change the culture - including the adult culture. For the past 10 years, workplace bullying also is now a big issue. Canada, Australia, Japan, and most European countries have varying types laws against workplace bullying, although so far as I know no US state has a law specifically addressing this. But I think within the next 20 years at least some states will have such laws. With challenges to bullying in all age groups, I think bullying will decrease over the next few decades.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. And humans think they're above animals...
I understand the sentiment, but can't quite agree. It's more like humans have considerable (if imperfect) ability to overrule their reptilian brainstem - including resist the very temptation for thinking lowly of a person on petty grounds. Humans just far too often choose not to (although for the more sympathetic, sincere, and decent faction of people, explaining whys and whats about the matter can make a huge dent in bullying - thereby depriving bullies of social and cultural power to commit their dirty deeds without social consequences).

Quote:
It depends on the school. Some school staff really cracks down on bullying. Others have this...a-HEM... "old school" way of dealing with it (i.e., rarely to never step in to stop it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies