Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:20 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about the black men you work with I am talking about the young black men you see in public and don't know?

If so why are you scared?

Be honest.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,871,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I am not talking about the black men you work with I am talking about the young black men you see in public and don't know?

Be honest.
No, I'm not scared of young black men, and I'm a young black guy.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
It depends on their 'vibe', y'know? Sometimes you can just feel if a group of teens are up to no good. But no, as a rule I don't feel fear around a large group of black men.

However, what I will admit to (and I hope this doesn't come back to slap me) is this weird self conscience thing. It's like, I'm worried that they are judging me. That if I put my hand on my purse (as I do when I walk) that they will think its because their black. So, it's weird and makes no sense, and I'm sure I come off as a complete idiot, but there you have it.
These are the confessions of the white lady at the mall

Old 04-02-2008, 05:47 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,442,095 times
I used to live in a DC suburb in the infamous Prince George's County. I wasn't "scared" of young black men when I first moved there, and I wasn't really scared later on, but paid more attention because several people I knew were robbed or attacked by groups of young black males. I kept reading the weekly police reports and almost every crime was committed by a "young black male" and while I wouldn't call it scared I was more alert if they seemed to have a certain intimidating attitude. That to me was more alarming than skin color of any kind, the attitude!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-02-2008, 05:48 PM

730 posts, read 2,255,176 times
My honest answer to this is I am afraid of "shady" looking people. White, black, yellow, whatever.
Some people just make me uneasy-not specific to race.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:52 PM

730 posts, read 2,255,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It depends on their 'vibe', y'know? Sometimes you can just feel if a group of teens are up to no good. But no, as a rule I don't feel fear around a large group of black men.

However, what I will admit to (and I hope this doesn't come back to slap me) is this weird self conscience thing. It's like, I'm worried that they are judging me. That if I put my hand on my purse (as I do when I walk) that they will think its because their black. So, it's weird and makes no sense, and I'm sure I come off as a complete idiot, but there you have it.
These are the confessions of the white lady at the mall
I will admit to this. If I pass by a large group of black men- I'm not scared of them, but instead wonder if they are saying "look at that stupid white girl". Whats that about- I have no idea??!!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,905 times
I myself am not generally scared of black men. My significant other is black. Besides that, sometimes I get a little uncomfortable to be myself around them. There is a certain macho culture that exists in most black men I have encountered. I get the vibe that if you don't have this "macho black male culture" than you are just another racist white boy. I almost feel as though I have to prove myself because I am being judged. Its just the vibe I get. Scared, no. I have never had a black person harm me in any way. I suppose the only fear I have is social fear.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
I like this thread. Especially the self conscious white girl comments. I am black, and I don't fear other black men, young or old. As a person who was once a young black male, I can assure my white female counter parts. These guys are not thinking about if you look stupid or not and they are not paying attention to if you are clutching your purse or not. Unless of course they are looking to snatch it, then they might be a bit annoyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I myself am not generally scared of black men. My significant other is black. Besides that, sometimes I get a little uncomfortable to be myself around them. There is a certain macho culture that exists in most black men I have encountered. I get the vibe that if you don't have this "macho black male culture" than you are just another racist white boy. I almost feel as though I have to prove myself because I am being judged. Its just the vibe I get. Scared, no. I have never had a black person harm me in any way. I suppose the only fear I have is social fear.
Just be yourself. Trust me, they are not sizing you up. Back in the day I ran the street and had a crew etc. All my friends were latino and black. We had a few white friends from school that would come kick it from time to time. These guys were your average wasp, and no one judged them. Just be yourself.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Nope... but then I'm usally heeled when I'm downtown.........

Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

Be honest.

Sure- if they have a knife or gun showing.

Otherwise, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies