Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Sheriff resign over racial remarks?
Yes 11 45.83%
No 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

A NJ Sheriff was caught using racial remarks towards African Americans, and towards an Asian American politician. The Sheriffs remarks were recorded and made public through WNYC which is a subsidiary of NPR Radio. The Sheriff name is Saudino and he works in the Bergen County which is located across the river from NYC.

Me personally. I understand that we live in an outrage culture, and we live in an era of mob justice. We live in an era where metoo and BLM movements are calling for the resignation and firings of people who oppress those based on racism and sexism. But forcing people to resign or getting people fired is not going improve or alleviate racism and sexism from institutions public or private employers. The remarks he made towards blacks was not nice, however the sheriff to a certain degree speaks the truth. But the remark he made against an Asian American was disparaging.

Overall I don't think the Sheriff should be forced to resign. Their is room for improvement, and also room for forgiveness. Sadly those on the left don't believe in apology because an apology is never sincere, and an apology is an admittance of guilt. Lastly the Sheriff is a democrat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...luW?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
IMO, in a job like that where you gotta protect and serve the people, showing prejudice should be grounds for termination. It shows that you favor one population over another and therefore your judgement is not to be trusted. In fact, to the people you've shown prejudice against are more more in danger of being around you. Since you wield a badge and a gun and have authority, they have a reason to fear you knowing you hold those types of views.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
IMO, in a job like that where you gotta protect and serve the people, showing prejudice should be grounds for termination. It shows that you favor one population over another and therefore your judgement is not to be trusted. In fact, to the people you've shown prejudice against are more more in danger of being around you. Since you wield a badge and a gun and have authority, they have a reason to fear you knowing you hold those types of views.
That's true too. I'm in agreement. But then again he did not say blacks are dangerous.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
For his position, yes. As the other poster said, you need to protect and serve everyone in your district. Those people need to feel like you will equally value and protect all the people under your jurisdictions. Remarks like that say to me that you don't value people in the same manner and, in fact, have some disdain for them. That has no place in his position. The fact that he can't even keep a lid on it shows poor impulse control.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Spot on, end of the thread. Yes, he should be out.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
No he's elected and should not resign from an elected and a government position based on speech alone, without the electorate voting on it. If a government actor removed him that would essentially be the government putting consequences on speech.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:56 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Oh...… a democrat you say............and he still has a job.
He gets a pass and more time on the target range.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:57 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
So by that token we can terminate from office most Democrat politicians.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Oh...… a democrat you say............and he still has a job.
He gets a pass and more time on the target range.
I'm in agreement. If this person was a Republican. An outrage mob would have been outside his office demanding full resignation, vs talk of resignation by liberals. I do ago when left say something racist. The left may resign or get fired but will have another job. But when a Republican or someone from the right does something similar like, his or her life is livelihood is ruined forever.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm in agreement. If this person was a Republican. An outrage mob would have been outside his office demanding full resignation, vs talk of resignation by liberals. I do ago when left say something racist. The left may resign or get fired but will have another job. But when a Republican or someone from the right does something similar like, his or her life is livelihood is ruined forever.

As a 'liberal", I believe he should resign immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies