Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Great observations, and likely true!

I also wonder what time of day the calls were made? If the surveys were done during the day, on the landline phones, they were more likely to be getting in touch with older women who were either homemakers, disabled or retired.

Did they break the data down into age, occupation, marital status etc too I wonder?
The physical health survey precludes optional surveys, including but not limited to mental health.

The survey is entirely scripted.

There’s more than enough data points to correlate between any two responses.

For example, are smokers more likely to report toenail fungus on Thursday in Kansas than on Friday?

Are people who self report eating 5 or more servings of fresh fruit per day more likely to not disclose mental health issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I bet women who identified as Dems had the most mental health problems.
Opinions are not facts.

Opinions say more about the opinionated than the target.

Political affiliation is outside the scope of the survey.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I went and read through the survey. First, in order to be a candidate for this survey you have to have a landline phone, and the survey takes about 15 minutes to complete the survey interview.

Talk about a narrow band of participants.

So yes. I think people who answer a landline phone from a research business and are then willing to participate in a 15 minute interview about their mental health, likely 1/3-1/2 would describe their mental health as poor.

In conclusion, it should be considered that people with landline phones who answer every call and then have 15 minutes to talk about themselves are more likely to have mental health/depression issues than the general population.
LOL! Right you are.

I haven't had a landline since 2001, but even of my friends with landlines, most won't answer the phone unless they know the number that's calling them.

My mother is 71 and even she doesn't have a landline. Hasn't in at least a decade now.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I notice that in certain cultures, men and women are both openly very emotional, at least by my standards. In others, men are expected to be stoic, strong, and silent, and as a result may not acknowledge their own issues.
What culture discloses very personal information about their physical and mental health, income and habits to a stranger on the phone?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wonder how it correlates with the culture of promiscuity single motherhood numbers?
I am sure you meant female and male promescuity, the willingness of a male and female to engage in unprotected sex and the male’s choice to be absent from the consequences.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:24 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Ironically feminism has made life better for men and worse for women. Who wants easy access to sex without commitment, children, or marriage? Feminism has gutted to the supply of men who are willing to be in a meaningful relationship in order to access sex.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I think the rising rates of mental health have more to do with population density than dysgenics. Hate to rag on the OP, but "crowds" are not very loveable and can cause mental illness.
Isolation tends not to be a healthy state.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Data represent adults ages 18 and over who reported that their mental health was "not good" between one and 30 days in the past 30 days.
which is based on this question:
Quote:
Now thinking about your mental health, which includes stress, depression, and problems with emotions, for how many days during the past 30 days was your mental health not good?
So if one day out of a month, you were stressed, sad, or pissed off about something, you are considered to be in "poor mental health status" per the wording of the headline and the implication the article is trying to make.

Basically, if you had so much as one bad moment, much less bad day, in the apst month, you are in "poor mental health status."

As always, this is a rent seeking topic, so what is the rent? Who pays it, how much is it, etc? can OP explain the agenda please, and list all the proposed punitive cost solutions?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
a lot of women are nuts to begin with
So are many males. They also trend more violent.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is the relevant question from the latest CDC survey:

Now thinking about your mental health, which includes stress, depression, and problems with emotions, for how many days during the past 30 days was your mental health not good?

People who answered one day or more were considered to be "reporting poor mental health status" per the OP link. It's a very low bar for that designation.

https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/questionna...stionnaire.pdf (page 15)
Module 9 poses 4 questions about depression and anxiety.

Responses to these 4 questions determine mental health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies