Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:39 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times

Advertisements

I found the following op ed piece full of wisdom, and extremely useful as a way to regain a composed and thoughtful outlook on the current topic of divisiveness. Perhaps you will as well. Peace be with you!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5bac009d443d

Old 09-29-2018, 11:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
We all do. Thank you for that. And on that note - off to go enjoy this beautiful, gorgeous day.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
How is this "calming" for everyone? All the writer did was bash on Republicans while talking about how divided the country is right now. That piece did not help lessen that divide one iota.

When I saw "Washington Post", I thought, "oh here we go", but you seemed so sincere in your post that I kept an open mind and went in.

I read absolutely nothing that I haven't already heard the left carry on about the past 2 weeks.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:24 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,864 times
What is a weeks delay?

Another week for democrats to dredge up yet another ditzy nut case claiming god knows what else.

Sure sure “it’s a week clearly defined in scope” but we all know that there will be more accusations that “must be investigated” because of “the seriousness of the charges”.

Democrats will have no one to blame but themselves for what’s going to happen to them in November.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How is this "calming" for everyone? All the writer did was bash on Republicans while talking about how divided the country is right now. That piece did not help lessen that divide one iota.

When I saw "Washington Post", I thought, "oh here we go", but you seemed so sincere in your post that I kept an open mind and went in.

I read absolutely nothing that I haven't already heard the left carry on about the past 2 weeks.

I just reread the op ed piece I posted, in case I had missed something. I am sorry that you did not sense or see the same message and information that soothed me, and that I offered to anyone who might want to step back and ponder, but I do not see, even after a reread, the partisan slant you are attributing to the essay.

I hope your opinion and negative words do not get in the way of anyone who may want to refresh, as it is truly and wisely written for any persuasion. Peace to you, Three Wolves In Snow.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 09-29-2018 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: clarity.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I just reread the op ed piece I posted, in case I had missed something. I am sorry that you did not sense or see the same message and information that soothed me, and that I offered to anyone who might want to step back and ponder, but I do not see, even after a reread, the partisan slant you are attributing to the essay.

I hope your opinion and negative words do not get in the way of anyone who may want to refresh, as it is truly and wisely written for any persuasion. Peace to you, Three Wolves In Snow.
Uh huh.

Quote:
That Republican senators spent so much time at Thursday’s hearing pooh-poohing the need for any additional investigation was evidence that their desire was to muscle through a Supreme Court confirmation at any cost — not to get to the truth.
Untrue allegation.

Quote:
That Kavanaugh repeatedly dodged requests that he ask for such an inquiry was similarly, if not more, disconcerting.
He did no such thing. He stated in his opening statement that he was willing to do whatever the Senate wanted. The left continues to lie about this.

Quote:
The FBI is skilled in taking witness statements; Kavanaugh’s assertion that it does not reach conclusions was the reddest of herrings.
It does not reach conclusions. That is fact, not a "red herring".

Quote:
Meantime, perhaps the week delay will help calm some of the internal Senate fury here. Whatever the reason for the late emergence of the allegations against Kavanaugh, what matters at this point is not the timing but the truth. If the allegations against Kavanaugh are a smear, they would have been equally as scurrilous in July as they are in September. If they are serious, they need to be taken as seriously now, as the first Monday in October approaches.
Oh, what matters is absolutely the timing. This could have been done back in July and August behind closed doors. But that's not what the Dems wanted. They wanted this circus.

Quote:
While the FBI investigates, assuming its inquiry goes forward, it would be helpful to take the time to think through how senators should address this decision — that is, those few senators whose minds were not made up long before the allegations of sexual misconduct arose.
Implying that people in the Senate on the right side are not ethical, moral, or honest.

Quote:
A pause to investigate, to calm down, to think things through. “We are in a better place than we were at 8 a.m.,” Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), said just after the deal was announced.
They had their chance for their so called 'pause'. Again, they had that letter for 6 fricken weeks, and now they want to pretend to take some moral high ground. Tactics that the left pulls all the time. Not buying it.

You just can't see that bias, eh? If you continue to claim that you cannot see the bias, then you have told me everything that I need to know about you. ALL of this has already been talked about, ad NAUSEUM in the stickied Kavanaugh thread. If you wished to continue to bash Senators and Kavanaugh, you could have put it there instead of pretending this was a neutral piece to "calm" the divisiveness...it did nothing of the sort.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:27 PM

11,789 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I found the following op ed piece full of wisdom, and extremely useful as a way to regain a composed and thoughtful outlook on the current topic of divisiveness. Perhaps you will as well. Peace be with you!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5bac009d443d
I see nothing calming about it either.

"It’s a commentary on our tribal times that it took the 11th-hour intervention of Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake to get to this obvious point."

While the Dems had this letter from July and at any time could have asked for an FBI investigation or done their own - and you know what - I think that is exactly why this wasn't presented until the 11th hour - they did do their own and came up with nothing.

Then it goes on to say - it's not about the timing - but the truth - again the Dems had this from since July - to wait until the 11th hour to pull this out gives them more time to come up with the outrageous 2nd and 3rd accusations we now see. Destroying a man's name and his family - and yet you all stood behind Clinton and treated his accusers like dirt.

The Democratic party has failed me and anyone else who calls themselves a Democrat.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:32 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Here in AZ, we have 2 woman running for the seat being vacated by Flake. Both candidates are running 100% negative campaigns, with non-stop TV ads. It is totally wearing me down, and yes I need some sort of deep calming thingie.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Do You Need a Deep, Calming, Political Breath?

If I do it won't be from a political propaganda article.

I could just as easily watch a dog do what they instinctively do and be reminded of the breath of democrats. Its not hard to imagine after all the vile hateful, distasteful words and ideas that roll off their tongue they would need a propaganda article to lick their own butt and try to get the taste out of their mouth.

Last edited by phma; 09-29-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
the only calming breath I want is to cast my straight ticket republican vote in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies