Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So...IF the FBI gets digging into this whole issue and find, not only that there is no evidence that the event ever happened, but that Feinstein or someone on her staff approached Ford (or Swetnick), or that their lawyers, both liberal activists did, and offered them either 15 minutes of fame or huge financial rewards (such as $1 million from gofundme accounts)...just how many laws have they broken? IF Ford concocted this whole story, how much prison time could she do? How much can she lose due to a defamation suit?
If that happened they would be the most hated people in recent history. If this is a set up I think you underestimate just how this would set victims back. People already call victims: liars, nutty. slutty, troublemakers...

Look at how people are reacting already. It seems you have to have a better background to say a man attacked you than to sit on the Supreme Court. It's nice to see it come to the surface and be on print so it can't be recorded for history's sake and verified that rape culture is a real thing. If she's lying that would reinforce rape culture. I wouldn't want to be that woman or that politician to do that.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:38 PM

76 posts, read 24,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Exactly right. Although she was upset, Dr. Ford carried herself with more dignity and maturity than Kavanaugh or Graham did.
She wasn't being outrageously smeared with baseless accusations. Quite a different scenario.

I will acknowledge she did carry out her innocent schoolgirl charade effectively though. Can't wait for video of her real speaking voice to emerge.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
If the FBI clears him he should be confirmed. If the FBI doesn't clear him it will be time for the Republicans and Trump to move on to the next candidate. I just want this circus to end one way or another. I don't like the way he handled himself the other day during the hearing but I or anybody else can't say for sure if it was Kavanaugh that assaulted Ford that night over 35 years ago. I do believe she was assaulted though.

It is going to take years if not generations to undo the mess that this has created between the two parties. The divide has never been wider IMHO.

I will come back when this investigation is over.

Actually I agree with almost most of what you wrote.

I think unless the FBI investigation was limited to current allegations and limited in scope and time it would have been a fishing expedition. If there is any hint of more than "he said, she said" allegations it is time to move on. If not confirm him and be done.

I also think that Ford was assaulted in the past bu tit was probably more serious incident than this one to have left her with the psychological trauma that she claims. I also feel that Kavanaugh was a drinker and partygoer in his youth but not a rapist. Many have had few sessions of heavy drinking at the 17-25 years of age but turned out to be fine citizens. One should not have it used against them unless they are impaired currently.

I am not sure that I would have been any different if I found out that one party ( be they be republican or democrat) was out on a smear campaign against me and my family with no basic decency.

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ah, please remember those are your words as far as the description of Kavanaugh's behavior during the hearing. Personally, I think the man has every right to be angry and upset with this whole ordeal, especially if he truly didn't do these things he's being accused of. Now, if we were talking about Dr. Ford, I imagine you would see this behavior in a different light. If she were upset about the whole ordeal, or the questions being asked, she would be justified, because she has a right to be angry. The "weepiness" which you show contempt for coming from Kavanaugh would be seen as proof of her pain if the tears were coming from Dr. Ford. I'm sorry, but it seems as if bias is playing a part in your description of Kavanaugh's testimony, since at this point all we have are the words of 2 "credible" individuals. Both of these individual's words hold the same weight, yet so many have already tried and convicted this man, based on nothing more than their disdain for anything and anyone associated with Donald Trump or Republicans. And personally, I think a man who's willing to come out and fight and stand up for himself, and show his emotions instead of bottling them up inside, is just the sort of person we need as a Supreme Court Justice.
Here, here! I was quite moved by his emotion and conviction watching his opening statement. He showed his human side and I just have a hard time understanding why this is suddenly considered a bad thing.

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ah, please remember those are your words as far as the description of Kavanaugh's behavior during the hearing. Personally, I think the man has every right to be angry and upset with this whole ordeal, especially if he truly didn't do these things he's being accused of. Now, if we were talking about Dr. Ford, I imagine you would see this behavior in a different light. If she were upset about the whole ordeal, or the questions being asked, she would be justified, because she has a right to be angry. The "weepiness" which you show contempt for coming from Kavanaugh would be seen as proof of her pain if the tears were coming from Dr. Ford. I'm sorry, but it seems as if bias is playing a part in your description of Kavanaugh's testimony, since at this point all we have are the words of 2 "credible" individuals. Both of these individual's words hold the same weight, yet so many have already tried and convicted this man, based on nothing more than their disdain for anything and anyone associated with Donald Trump or Republicans. And personally, I think a man who's willing to come out and fight and stand up for himself, and show his emotions instead of bottling them up inside, is just the sort of person we need as a Supreme Court Justice.
? Wow.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 PM

76 posts, read 24,750 times
Quote:
What, we're using gambling websites to pick SC judges now? This country's really going downhill if that becomes the norm.
Nope, but its a good barometer of public opinion.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Was that 80s? I thought that didn’t come on the scene until the 90s?
Rakin is from Texas like me. It was very popular here in the ‘80s. I’m not so sure it was that popular in the Northeast yet. From something I read, it was big in Texas and California and Europe at the time.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:41 PM

13,742 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correction: Kavanaugh had 6 FBI background checks, not FBI investigations. Those are very different things. And an FBI check wouldn't uncover evidence of alcoholism unless it was a huge problem. Drinking alcohol is legal. And people with high profile, powerful jobs are often very careful to hide problem drinking. The FBI uncovers criminal activity, employment history, and financial problems, not what the candidate does when he is off work socializing or at home.

Many of these individuals are functional alcoholics, and it is much easier to hide a drinking problem when the drinker has a enabling spouse. Leonard Nimoy, Stephen King, and Samuel L. Jackson were all high functioning alcoholics who kept working full throttle right through their boozing days. Disclaimer: I am not saying Kavanaugh is an alcoholic; just that he could be and an FBI background check wouldn't pick that up unless he really screws up and gets a DWI or something.

How he drank during his college years is completely subjective. What some might consider social drinking others may not.

Unless there are documented accounts such as a DUI it's going to be very difficult for the Dems to claim Kav. he lied about his drinking history.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
What, we're using gambling websites to pick SC judges now? This country's really going downhill if that becomes the norm.
Hey, they’re better than the polls. Think they got Trump winning right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamLabroy View Post
Nope, but its a good barometer of public opinion.
Of late, they seem the best ones out there as to a decent prediction tool.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Rakin is from Texas like me. It was very popular here in the ‘80s. I’m not so sure it was that popular in the Northeast yet. From something I read, it was big in Texas and California and Europe at the time.
Ah. See, learn something new everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies