Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Quite the sham. The Republicans can claim "we had an investigation" - giving the FBI a week, when in reality it would take many weeks to properly conduct. Pathetically thin, but we're used to this right? American people are getting sick of the GOP making a mockery of our justice system. They may "win" this round but in the long run they are choosing the worst path forward for their party.

Or, Feinstein could have turned over the letter right away and there would have been plenty of time to conduct the investigation, but that was never really the goal, was it.

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
None of that is super unusual for rape cases though, that’s why they are hard to prosecute.

Victims are often super sharp on some details and fuzzy on others, because of the way trauma works on the brain. Plus it was 30 years ago, so why would any of the other people in the house even remember it? They never knew anything happened. Hell even the 2 boys in the room wouldn’t necessarily remember if they were drunk and had been that way with girls before. At the time, it wouldn’t have even been considered assault. It was just “trying to get some”. Drunk girls in a bedroom with you were fair game to many dudes. Hell any girl in a bedroom with you, especially at a party... she wouldn’t have to be drunk.

That’s why the case is practically impossible to prosecute. But that doesn’t mean she’s lying, or that he is. We’ll likely never know.
My problem is not that the other witnesses do not remember the assault or the exact night per se because of course it was just another party to them.... however, I find the fact that her friends says that she does not know Brett Kavanaugh and does not remember ever meeting him. It seems if Brett was as drunk and sloppy as Dr. Ford says that her friend would at least remember him. At least when seeing his HS pictures now at least saying "yes, I vaguely remember meeting him" or something like that. This is why I think Dr. Ford may be confusing him with someone else.

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Quite the sham. The Republicans can claim "we had an investigation" - giving the FBI a week, when in reality it would take many weeks to properly conduct. Pathetically thin, but we're used to this right? American people are getting sick of the GOP making a mockery of our justice system. They may "win" this round but in the long run they are choosing the worst path forward for their party.

Try to keep up Dave. There have already been six (6) FBI thorough investigations conducted about the judge.

How long do you think it will take for the FBI to investigate something alleged 36 years ago. About 7 days according to the FBI.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
Quote:
Meanwhile more and more former Classmates of Kavanaugh are coming out saying he’s not telling the truth about his past. This is a trend it seems.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The yearbook thing was just silly. I mean I heard on the radio where people ascribed their own sexual meaning to Devil's Triangle and FFFFFFFFourth of July.

Then when I heard Kavanaugh describe the entries, it was totally the opposite. THe public has run away with this. ANd this is what you get when you don't handle these issues like an adult.

I'm as liberal and progressive as they come, but it is sad to watch this character assassination unfold. And, what goes around comes around. I'm pretty sure there are Democrats with skeletons in their past.

They just opened pandora's box. This back and forth over SCOTUS nominees is so important to them that they are operating on a scorched earth policy and it might come back to bite them when the stakes may be even higher.

People said the Democrats need to play dirty. Perhaps this is it?
All political parties play dirty and have for decades, maybe even longer, in my opinion.

This reminds me of when the Democrats insisted on just a simple majority vote, rather than a higher percentage - and that was fine when it worked for them, but now what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Oh, the irony. I can hardly wait for them to try to get a Supreme Court Justice approved. I just hope that the Republicans don't weenie out like they so often do.

Never fight with someone who is prepared to be more ruthless than you are. Basic rule of warfare, and of life in general.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:39 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Exactly. Kavanaugh said he likes beer. Apparently, he liked it since high school. One can like beer, get drunk, and not pass out (rendered immediately unconscious, not passing out as in I'm going to lay down).

All my life I have been around people who drink, have gotten drunk, but have never passed out. Seen it on TV, but never experienced it in real life.

Not sure why it is hard for people to believe that Kavanaugh never passed out. I believe the earlier you start drinking, the more tolerance is built up in your system. Some people hold their alcohol better. I've seen people who were drunk and able to hold relatively cogent conversations. Drunk History.

Just because a person is drunk doesn't turn them into evil rapists.
Not passed out. Blacked out, as in can remember what happened while you were drunk.

3,841 posts, read 3,068,256 times
Quote:

^ Totally comical comment after 8 years of Obama's DoJ farce under that criminal Eric Holder.

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I am not so sure the GOP will approve him no matter what. There are a few GOP senators who may not vote for him. Again, there really is no clear evidence he lied under oath. Just interpretations of vague answers. Just like you must believe "Yes, I have had too many beers on occasion" is a negative answer meaning "no" when asked if he drank in excess. Some others may believe that is a "yes" that he had drank in excess.

One reason there is no what you term ""clear evidence he lied under oath""" is that the GOP blocked access to WH paperwork that likely WOULD have shown Kavanaugh lied under oath numerous times to Congressional committees---not just at his judicial confirmation...

Kavanaugh is just a Republican sock puppet...
The ABA has found reason to judge he is partisan and "dissembles" in the courtroom--that means he lies when it serves his purpose
The ABA reduced Kavanaugh's ABA rating prior to his finally getting through to the Appeal seat he hold now to "Qualified" from "Highly Qualified"--

And now the ABA sees that there are reasons to suspect his behavior on the bench again after that diatribe Thursday

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Meanwhile more and more former Classmates of Kavanaugh are coming out saying he’s not telling the truth about his past. This is a trend it seems.
It's obvious he lied under oath. The problem is, the Republicans don't care.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 AM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
They were able to read hundreds of thousands of Clinton emails on the Weiner laptop in a weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies