Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:23 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Was anyone else surprised at some of Kavanaugh's case opinions ? I think liberals would agree with most of them. Indeed, the Dem darling Merritt Garland agreed with most of them.
Awe. Nice.
You d be surprised that Kavenaughs opinion about himself, his outrage at being questioned , his arrogance that he is sooooo important as to be the target of some conspiracy , puts him up there with Cosby, OJ, Trump , and Bundy.
Any one who votes to seat him is not a " rape apologist".
They are an accessory after the fact.

Vote them out.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:26 PM

8,497 posts, read 3,338,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It does not matter if they say they do not recall or they say it did not, both answers do not support the accusation. Keyser went further and stated she has never met Kavanaugh, that is not a "I do not recall", she said she has not ever met Kavanaugh.
Continuing to rehash the various details is now the lesser issue ... but Leland was never said to have known Kavanaugh - different schools etc. ... if she cannot recall a specific party 36 years ago ... why would she be able to remember having met someone (perhaps only by first name, if ever introduced) at the party she now cannot recall. I sure wouldn't ... Lord knows, sometimes I have to re-meet someone more than once to my great embarrassment.

Quote:
But it is not just one person, it is every single witness, so exactly what do you want? No one said they know anything, a "do not recall" holds just as much weight as a "no I was not" because they both do not confirm anything, and the burden is on the accuser, not the defendant to prove this.
To the larger issue ... the case clearly is not proven ... the burden is on the accuser ... agree absolutely

Quote:
Would you want to be convicted of something by the mere words of someone with no supporting evidence of any kind?
Of course, not. But that's not why everyone is so upset. It is because Kavanaugh should not even have been accused in the first place, at least in public. As for the accusation (well, the "rightness" of that is between Ford and Kavanaugh) ... as for the public part ... well, I for one know I've read a fair amount on this thread and there's very little about HOW that came above, other than anger at the Democrats ... with actual details about the how, when, what, where hard to come by.

Regardless, there's a backstory here that I sure don't get ... starting with the leaking of the letter ... although there seems to be a clear preference that Ford not exist in the first place, one way or another. Me, I'd believe about anything when it comes to political machinations.

As for the actual hearing, Republicans are angry at how the Democrats treated Kavanaugh and Democrats think how Kavanaugh responded to questioning was partisan and disqualifying. And some don't like Ford's glasses. (Sorry, it's getting late.)

That about sum it up?

Old 10-05-2018, 11:31 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Susan Collins secured her political death note by voting yes for confirmation.
$3 million raised for Sen. Susan Collins' opponent amid outcry on Kavanaugh vote...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/1537749002/

Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Was anyone else surprised at some of Kavanaugh's case opinions ? I think liberals would agree with most of them. Indeed, the Dem darling Merritt Garland agreed with most of them.
It's clear that you haven't read many of his decisions. https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...anaugh-economy

Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
So Collins misses her moment to be a hero, and the old bulls win again. Trump, McConnell, Grassley, Hatch, Graham—the whole lot of them-- win. Again. They are laughing, congratulating one another, and at least metaphorically are popping Champagne.
For most women and many men it’s a bitter, devastating loss. Which makes it all the sweeter for the old bulls, and for the forces of power, privilege and money everywhere. A sense that the nation’s climate of justice has taken another turn toward dark clouds rises. The age-old question for the country of whether we prioritize power, privilege and money over justice takes on renewed importance.
So I talk to the wife—the good, gentle wife—who is furious and deeply disappointed. Talk to my daughter—the lion-hearted eldest child—whose first words are, “Can we, will we survive this?” I answer, “Of course we can, and if we have the will and the spirit, we will not only, survive we will thrive. Eventually. But if, and only if, we are “get-up fighters.” Strong as she usually is, she doesn’t seem convinced.
So, I take a walk, to be alone with my thoughts and reminders to stay steady. Among the thoughts that emerge are these:
Cut through the clouds of the present, consider the long river of history, and one can see this as a breakthrough moment for women. To paraphrase the daughter who recently said in another context, "women have never had a better moment to be heard in politics, to make a difference.” That is, if they—and those of us men who support them—seize the moment (if they don’t miss the moment as Senator Collins has.)
What that requires is that women and the men who love them and hate what has happen adopt an attitude of “we can be beaten but never defeated.” Adopt it, cling to it and live it as a credo.
Be relentless. When things are bad, when the going is tough, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and carry forward. Also, maybe take as a goal what an old man once said to me: "keep trying, keep fighting, keep smiling every minute you’re alive; you’re going to be dead a long time.”
And recognize that you are not alone. Far from it. Look to your left and right, before you and behind you, at the millions who will support you on this journey for justice. Fill your lungs with the determined air of action. I find myself humming that old but powerful anthem of the Civil Rights Era. "We'll walk hand in hand!" "We are not afraid!" "We shall overcome!"

-Dan Rather
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in my Senators and Government. They had the chance to stay on the right side of history, and didn't. This is like a slap in the face to women everywhere.

And Kavanaugh's response last week to the allegations alone prove that he does not have the temperament nor the impartiality to be a Supreme Court Judge.
Quote:
March forward, without fear, and the winds of justice at your back.
Feel the ranks swell of those who will not cower in the face of money, power and privilege.
A favorite saying reminds us that revenge is a dish best served at the ballot box.
-Dan Rather

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 10-05-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Where has she been all this time, seriously she's brilliant. She laid it out like none of the others did, I was impressed.

I have never been a fan of Susan Collins but that changed today.
I never really paid much attention to her.
Today she made a lasting mark on the nation using reason like a true statesman.
Most impressive !!!

Trump called out the liberal media mob but Susan Collins delivered a decisive victory in the battle.

Last edited by phma; 10-05-2018 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 11:38 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes it was brilliant . I’m glad I was able to watch it live and feel the energy.
She s a sell out. A traitor to women.
She s a fool.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:38 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
If you missed her speech you should look it up. Post it in every college in the land. Founding fathers are applauding from graves all over this land they fought and died for.

If our Founding Fathers cared one iota about Equality, Justice and the law then they are rolling over in their graves right now.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just a reminder: the Democrats, under Harry Reid, implemented that simple majority rule. At the time (2013) Mitch McConnell warned them that they would end up regretting that move. Lo’ and behold, fast forward 5 years, here we are with the Democrats regretting the move. Apparently turtle boy has a crystal ball.
I wasn't for the Supreme Court though. The nuclear option was suggested not for the Supreme Court but rather federal judge conformations. Republicans originally looked for this under Bush, but then backed down when cooler heads revealed while Democrats didn't. I disagreed with them then and still do as I did when the Republicans went nuclear for the Supreme Court for Gorsch in 2017. I expect a filibuster or two by Democrats tomorrow to delay even if they don't have the votes as Murkowski is going to vote "present."

Old 10-05-2018, 11:42 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in my Senators and Government. They had the chance to stay on the right side of history, and didn't. This is like a slap in the face to women everywhere.

And Kavanaugh's response last week to the allegations alone prove that he does not have the temperament nor the impartiality to be a Supreme Court Judge.
Garbage posturing that has no meaning. It's about his legal decision making and nothing else.
As if those clowns in Congress have temperment and impartiality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.