Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 AM

39,087 posts, read 51,273,483 times

Advertisements

She's toast and she knows it. She not only voted against women, but against the prevailing wishes of voters in her state. There is a price to be paid for that. Contrast with Manchin who did the wrong thing for the right reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 08:48 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,047,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But... hear me on this...

If you are actually accepting feedback from the constituents and (using the Kavanaugh case as an example) 70% of your constituents who contact you have issues with Kavanaugh (for whatever reason), voting along party lines is a jerk move.

I don't think anyone in Congress is so qualified to figure out whether or not some guy (or some woman) would make a good Supreme Court justice that they should ignore the voters in their state/district.

Now, if this was about something like a bill before Congress that had extenuating circumstances that the general public might not know about or understand, that would be a different matter.

Still, if you look at almost ALL of the Senate? They voted party on this confirmation. They didn't vote based on how he presented as a candidate.
She based her vote on facts, not emotion.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Name the Democrat who might unseat Collins then you might have something. That idiot & liar Susan Rice?

<crickets>

And that is the Democrat's problem.

/thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:52 AM

78,493 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But... hear me on this...

If you are actually accepting feedback from the constituents and (using the Kavanaugh case as an example) 70% of your constituents who contact you have issues with Kavanaugh (for whatever reason), voting along party lines is a jerk move.

I don't think anyone in Congress is so qualified to figure out whether or not some guy (or some woman) would make a good Supreme Court justice that they should ignore the voters in their state/district.

Now, if this was about something like a bill before Congress that had extenuating circumstances that the general public might not know about or understand, that would be a different matter.

Still, if you look at almost ALL of the Senate? They voted party on this confirmation. They didn't vote based on how he presented as a candidate.
1) There is an inherent bias in basing it on whom is contacting you because that would just be the angry folks.

By that token, if she said she'd oppose Kavanaugh, she'd have been flooded with angry repubs in much higher percentages so would that mean she'd then have to listen to THOSE constituents instead?

In short, citing those that CONTACT you is a biased sample and trying to claim that accurately represents the constituency is not a valid argument.

2) Yep, Senate before hearing a shred of evidence or even the initial ford accusation etc. had already made up their minds in the vast majority of instances.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
I guess it's considered 'bribery' if the money comes from the common man but it's NOT considered bribery if it comes from the Koch brothers and her corporate sponsors.

Give me a break.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,572,537 times
She is a stain on New England. Look for residents of the other NE five states help Mainers defeat her.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:14 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,674,899 times
Susan Rice the most well know liar in the Obama admin. thinks she has a shot at being a senator from Maine. Good luck with that. I'm sure she will make a video but it won't trump the ones on record of her repeated lying.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 AM

78,493 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
She is a stain on New England. Look for residents of the other NE five states help Mainers defeat her.
Out of state people telling Maine residents how to vote correctly? Yeah, that sounds like a keen tactical plan that couldn't possibly backfire.

Make sure to call them deplorables and racists too for having such a high % of white folks. That's a proven winner.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
She based her vote on facts, not emotion.
She based her vote on a lie she told herself and the rest of the country. She must think the American people are stupid. Only the Trumpsters bought her fictional version of a character known as "Centrist Judge Kavanaugh". He's not and he never was.

Her efforts to square the circle of . . . she believes Ford; she's just 'mistaken' about who her attacker is so stupid I can't even believe it. Yet that is the song Republicans are trying to sing. Women don't 'forget' their attacker unless they were complete and total strangers.

Collins is a pitiful liar but she needed that Koch money so here we are.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is no different than the usual influence peddling that goes on every single day in Congress\Senate.

Donations are made, votes are secured.

At this point, it's legal, she can't change her vote so get over it folks it's done.

Besides, she has a few years for:
a) things to cool down
b) if RoeWade is still intact as I suspect, she'll be able to point to the hysteria over that as an "I told you so".

All that aside, it's not my issue, I leave this to the fine voters of Maine to determine their own course either way.

P.S. If you're that upset about it then donate to Collins. *shrug*
We don't even know if she'll run again in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies