Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:22 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times

Advertisements

Trump just made the biggest boondoggle in U. S. history much worse. He gave the OK to increase the percentage of ethanol made from corn, to 15%, up from 10%, on a year-round basis. It costs more to produce this fuel additive than it is worth. It reduces engine performance and may actually put more pollutants in the air, as more gas has to be burned to produce the same power that standard fuel would do.

So much corn is used, that it has disrupted production of other crops and has caused food shortages, as well as raising its cost. But a lot of those farmers in Iowa just love Trump, as this diverted corn, is their cash-cow.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ol-corn-831493
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 01:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
for decades everyone has been crying for alternative, renewable fuels. and when one actually comes along, it is poo pooed. for crying out loud people its time to accept this start in alternative and renewable fuels.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
for decades everyone has been crying for alternative, renewable fuels. and when one actually comes along, it is poo pooed. for crying out loud people its time to accept this start in alternative and renewable fuels.
No, it is not. The fuel efficiency drops so much that there is a net loss all the way around. For about the first time I agree with Steve.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:59 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Sounds like it will end up in court the way everything else does.
That's been the standard for awhile for decisions of politicians by both parties.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Just another subsidy for big ag. End it.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:22 AM

995 posts, read 510,634 times
Default Why Republicans are a disgrace to the party itself

I'm furious this morning, not because of the new Supreme Court nomination, or what Trump is saying about the "mob" of protesting Democrats. That's all fine and dandy, since it's just Trump being Trump.

This is what is steaming me, and it flies in the face of what the Republican Party is all about. Trump wants to mandate that the ethanol mix in gasoline be raised to 15% instead of the 10% it is now. That will be a total disaster, since it'll ruin auto engines (alcohol dries out the seals, causing co$tly repairs down the line.) 10% is bad enough, 15% is enough to void new car warranties. You buy a new car, put that crap in there, and it has problems because of it - you're just out of luck.

And the sad thing is, this is just a gambit to "help out" the farmers in Iowa. That's it. Way to go Repubs - ruin every car in America to help out a few very wealthy farmers. I'm sorry, but being Republican means makin' it on your own, without government hand-outs. I'm all for for putting people to work, and reducing dependence on the government. That's a great party platform. If only they'd stick to that.

How about we take away all subsidies, and I do mean all of them. It's a free market, friends, which means you can produce whatever you want, but you gotta make it on your own, without government help.

I hope Iowa suffers a terrible drought next summer, and those dag-gummed farmers all go out of business due to 100% crop failures. That'd serve then right, for leeching off our government like that (at our expense, no less!)

Old 10-09-2018, 06:32 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I'm furious this morning, not because of the new Supreme Court nomination, or what Trump is saying about the "mob" of protesting Democrats. That's all fine and dandy, since it's just Trump being Trump.

This is what is steaming me, and it flies in the face of what the Republican Party is all about. Trump wants to mandate that the ethanol mix in gasoline be raised to 15% instead of the 10% it is now. That will be a total disaster, since it'll ruin auto engines (alcohol dries out the seals, causing co$tly repairs down the line.) 10% is bad enough, 15% is enough to void new car warranties. You buy a new car, put that crap in there, and it has problems because of it - you're just out of luck.

And the sad thing is, this is just a gambit to "help out" the farmers in Iowa. That's it. Way to go Repubs - ruin every car in America to help out a few very wealthy farmers. I'm sorry, but being Republican means makin' it on your own, without government hand-outs. I'm all for for putting people to work, and reducing dependence on the government. That's a great party platform. If only they'd stick to that.

How about we take away all subsidies, and I do mean all of them. It's a free market, friends, which means you can produce whatever you want, but you gotta make it on your own, without government help.

I hope Iowa suffers a terrible drought next summer, and those dag-gummed farmers all go out of business due to 100% crop failures. That'd serve then right, for leeching off our government like that (at our expense, no less!)
What a gas. You are running on steam now.

Solution you say is "farmer all go out of business due to 100% crop failures.
What are you going to eat, used car tires ? Yum !!!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:36 AM

995 posts, read 510,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What a gas. You are running on steam.

Solution you say is "farmer all go out of business due to 100% crop failures.
What are you going to eat, used car tires ?
I'll go hungry before I give another penny to those dag-gone farmers. In fact, I'm going to make it a point not to consume any corn products if I can help it.

I want them to suffer, for payback for making us suffer with reduced car mileage and increased repair bills.

And what makes rich farmers so special? Hell, I'll start a corn patch in my yard and demand the government pay me lots of money, regardless of how much or little I make from selling corn. Everyone else should do the same.

Anyone else agree with me?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:38 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I'll go hungry before I give another penny to those dag-gone farmers. In fact, I'm going to make it a point not to consume any corn products if I can help it.

I want them to suffer, for payback for making us suffer with reduced car mileage and increased repair bills.

And what makes rich farmers so special? Hell, I'll start a corn patch in my yard and demand the government pay me lots of money, regardless of how much or little I make from selling corn. Everyone should do the same.

Anyone else agree with me?
Say what? Lol.

Make them suffer for reduced car mileage?????? Lawd.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,983 times
Look on the bright side. If all vehicles fail, maybe it will save the planet!!

Yep, let's hope the crops fail. Who needs food when we have our damaged cars that won't run any more due to faulty dried out seals? Hey, we can eat those seals, right?

The farmers have vehicles and farm machinery that use fuel too, right?

If your vehicle fails and you have food, you will survive. If farmers fail and you have your vehicle, what next?

Hint: There are repair shops that will repair your car. Seals are not extinct and can be ordered at any parts supply store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies