Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 04:08 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,421,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
First off, this post is not meant to convince anyone who is pro death penalty. If you support the practice of "The State" or the Feds killing someone in your name, then you think very differently than those who disagree with you and you will not be persuaded to change your mind.

I have heard your arguments many times before:
If you murdered someone, then you deserve to suffer just like your victims. There is no punishment to gruesome, cruel, or unusual for you. Moreover, you should suffer far beyond just the loss of freedom if you are not sentenced to death...if you get beat up viciously or knifed by other inmates, or beaten by guards, that is what you deserve. So I'm not here to argue with you savages. Moreover, you probably think I am sick and evil that I appear to have "sympathy" for evil criminals.

That said, this country sentences people to death, then tortures them psychologically for years, even decades until the day of legalized killing. I have read of at least two cases of people, probably afflicted with severe neuropsychiatric (brain) illness, attempting suicide, sent to the hospital for life-saving treatment then executed at the scheduled time. In one case, the man was put in restraints in the hospital to keep him from ripping off the bandage on his neck. In another, the man was rushed to a hospital, given life-saving treatment, then flown back by airplane in order to rush him back in time to be executed. This country convicts and kills people who were in the neurological state of psychosis when they committed crimes...which is the very worst offence in my eyes.

If anyone thinks these state-sponsored acts are not just as barbaric as anything the Saudi Government thugs have done, then I beg to differ. In their violent minds, the journalist they are believed to have butchered did something to deserve his killing...just as you pro death penalty folks believe...let's say if someone kills a cop or some other offense. But again, I am not trying to ply your "righteously" violent hearts to tears. My point is that this country has no moral ground to stand on.
I oppose the death penalty but this goes beyond that.

We have historically been a country that values free speech and freedom of the press. We have attempted to ally ourselves with countries that also support those things.

This guy was killed for simply expressing a critical view of his home country's ruler. So in this sense I do think we still have the moral high ground.

If we were no different then we would have to execute millions of people who have spoken out negatively against Trump. Thankfully we are better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

We have historically been a country that values free speech and freedom of the press. We have attempted to ally ourselves with countries that also support those things.

This guy was killed for simply expressing a critical view of his home country's ruler. So in this sense I do think we still have the moral high ground.

If we were no different then we would have to execute millions of people who have spoken out negatively against Trump. Thankfully we are better than that.
Disagree. We are used to seeing ourselves as moral and we congratulate ourselves for our so-called values, but we shred those values every day. A country's moral values are manifested by the way they treat the most despised and condemned among its people.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:33 PM

45,244 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
A member of the Saudi hit squad that killed Jamal Khashoggi has been killed in Riyadh in a "suspicious" car accident. This is what Secretary of State Pompeo was alluding to when he said
I think we can expect a spate of mysterious and coincidental mishaps to surround those involved

Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think we can expect a spate of mysterious and coincidental mishaps to surround those involved
So its car accidents in Saudi and falling out of windows in Russia. 😱

Old 10-18-2018, 06:40 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,105,254 times
A member of the Saudi hit squad that killed Jamal Khashoggi has been killed in Riyadh in a "suspicious" car accident. Is this what Pompeo had in mind when he said the Saudis need a few more days to get their story straight. Allow the Saudis time to find a scapegoat to pin the murder on. Concoct a bogus story to clear MBS? "The dead guy did it."

Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,780 times
Quote:
A member of the Saudi hit squad that killed Jamal Khashoggi has been killed in Riyadh in a "suspicious" car accident. Is this what Pompeo had in mind when he said the Saudis need a few more days to get their story straight. Allow the Saudis time to find a scapegoat to pin the murder on. Concoct a bogus story to clear MBS? "The dead guy did it."
Pompeo Trump Kushner involved in cover-up of murder of Washington Post journalist visiting another country.
That is the new title of every thread.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I remember the 3 Saudi princes who had funded 911 mysteriously died in suspicious car accidents within days of each other.

Khashoggi murder 'suspect' dead in suspicious car accident

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...s-car-accident
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
That's what I'm hearing, one of the eleven suspects is already dead.
According to this, seven (six remain alive) of the the Prince's security guards were part of the group that butchered Khashoggi:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/752406...-saudi-arabia/

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
He was also a support of the Muslim Brotherhood, and has terrorist links. I'm saying: good riddance. It's a shame the Saudis didn't do this cleaner.
According to this ME 'expert' and former ambassador to Turkey (irrc), Khashoggi's ties to the MB were decades ago and not the issue today:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453146...i-relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Trump and Mnuchin decided it best he doesn't go to the financial summit, so maybe we are learning the prince was involved somehow.
Oh, the prince was involved all right. Reported in the Sun link about, seven (one has since 'died') of those in the hit squad were part of his personal security detail.
Quote:
This guy was killed for simply expressing a critical view of his home country's ruler.
It's far more complicated than that. Khashoggi came from an extremely wealthy Saudi family with a long history in that region. From the Wiki entry, he's been a prominent, influential, well-connected and very serious thorn in the side of the Saudi royal family for decades:

For starters:
Quote:
Khashoggi was the nephew of late, high-profile Saudi Arabian arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi, known for his part in the Iran-Contra scandal,[16][17] and was estimated to have had a net worth of US$4 billion in the early 1980s.[18][19] Jamal Khashoggi was a first cousin of Dodi Fayed, who was dating the UK's Princess Diana when the two were killed in a car crash in Paris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamal_Khashoggi
Khashoggi was not just a journalist. He was far, far more than that - which was written all over his face, imo. His prominence may have given him a false sense of security - thinking the Saudis would never kill such a high-profile individual. He should have known better.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-19-2018 at 12:03 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 04:32 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:

I oppose the death penalty too, although I do understand why there are individuals, communities, and countries that support it. I personally believe the reasons for not having it outweigh their reasons for having it, but there are many things I disagree with that others do.

Here’s the thing in this case, this guy may have lived in the United States but he retained his Saudi citizenship. Other countries are not bound by our first amendment rights. The minute he stepped in that consulate he essentially stepped on Saudi soil. He should have known better, this was not someone ignorant of the laws and norms of the country. I suppose he thought his prominence as a writer for a top American paper would protect him.

The guy has spent years writing posts criticizing the ruling crown prince, for both the general public and politicians to read, in a country where the prince was trying to create and retain a positive image. In Saudi Arabia he would have been tortured, jailed, or perhaps executed after the first critical piece, it was being on US soil that allowed him to continue being such a vocal dissident. Rumors are they cut off his fingers, I find that believable because I can see that being logical in Arabic reasoning (not saying I think it’s right) - cutting off the offending parts. I can buy into the notion that it was an interrogation gone wrong or punishment that went overboard, but honestly if they had arrested him, put him on plane to Saudi Arabia, tortured him there, put him on a fast track trial, and executed him there is not much anyone could do about it. Saudi citizen/Saudi soil/Saudi laws. Morally wrong - legally allowed.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,964,628 times
Quote:
Once the hit squad is all dead, the official version of what happened will be, Khashoggi commited suicide by cutting off his own fingers and head with a bone saw.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,185,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Once the hit squad is all dead, the official version of what happened will be, Khashoggi commited suicide by cutting off his own fingers and head with a bone saw.
And our glorious leaders will support that conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies