Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 12:12 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,605,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That's a rather harsh thing to say about a woman who claims she was molested as a teenager.

Do you not care that she was molested?

I mean, does it only matter if someone you don't like did it?

See, we really don't know who molested her, but it's a safe bet that someone did, and it's not been proven that it wasn't Kavanaugh.

Not been proven that it WAS him, either.

But, again... does that not matter to you at all?
Safe bet?? lol

Nothing in her little fairy tale could be confirmed, even by the people she said were there. She is a very troubled, mentally ill woman.

So, no, fairy tales do not matter to me at all.

as an aside, you need to get help yourself. Seriously.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:13 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,707,608 times
Quote:
He was asked if he drank to the point of blacking out or passing out and he lied and said he did not, but there are people who knew him at Yale who say he did.

It's not a lie, it's the truth.

I think he lied about that because it made it possible that he did something he did NOT remember.
You address a specific situation with a generality.

Who has gone on record, to prove that Kavanaugh lied about drinking. Take the political bias out of it, and there is absolutely nothing that this man did to disqualify him from being nominated.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:13 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would like you to define "blacking out" in your own words.

As for the FBI and the claims some people made, do you have information about why they "refused" to interview them that the rest of us are not privy to?

Once again, someone saying someone did something does not mean someone did something. Once again, you have gone with: "They said it, so he lied."

Once again, you have failed to understand "Innocent until PROVEN guilty", even in what some call a "job interview". Everyone in this country is innocent until proven guilty. If you want the mob deciding your guilt or innocence, you better hope to all this right in this world that no one ever accuses you of anything - anything at all. Because if they do, we'll just take it to the mob rule and let them decide what they think based solely on what someone said about you.

According to what you just wrote, no one needs to actually provide any proof at all of an accusation that they've made. So we can all go around and make all kinds of accusations, destroying lives, and hey, who cares, we don't have to prove anything.

Oh, well, then let's get started - because we can all destroy some lives. Who cares if it's true or not, we don't have to prove it...so, let's go. Let's do this. We'll say whatever we want, and we'll let the mob decide. What a brilliant plan.
Three Wolves, I hear what you are saying, but it was NOT a court of law and Kavanaugh wasn't going to go to jail over these hearings.

It was a job interview. And, blacking out is when people either pass out or cannot recall what happened over a given period of time. It is VERY common with the type of drinking Kavanaugh HAS admitted to doing.

I will say that I think he wanted to avoid admitting to that sort of thing... or he's in denial.

I found him to be belligerent and partisan in his rebuttals and I am concerned about someone who thinks the Clintons and the Deep State or whatever are trying to keep him off the courts.

I think they should have spent more time focusing on his missing records during the Bush years, really.

And, of course, I fully expected a conservative to take that seat. I'm not some sort of leftist loon who does not understand how government works.

But, I would have preferred a less controversial choice for a number of reasons and most have nothing to do with Ford, not really.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What teenagers do to each other at parties doesn’t fall into any kind of molestation category. Get real.
Whoa! You cannot be serious...…………….or......maybe...……†¦..

Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,956,137 times
Quote:
Most of these people raised teenagers.

Not all teenagers are drunkards who grope women against their will, though I certainly agree that plenty of teens are reckless in their dealings.

What's "sexual deviant" got to do with questioning his fittedness for the court?

And, there is no TDS, except in your mind.
A rose by any other name...:

Trump May Not Be Crazy, But the Rest of Us Are Getting There Fast
Psychologists’ couches are filling up as Americans seek relief from Trump Anxiety Disorder.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:17 PM

30,335 posts, read 23,812,713 times
Quote:
Three Wolves, I hear what you are saying, but it was NOT a court of law and Kavanaugh wasn't going to go to jail over these hearings.

It was a job interview. And, blacking out is when people either pass out or cannot recall what happened over a given period of time. It is VERY common with the type of drinking Kavanaugh HAS admitted to doing.

I will say that I think he wanted to avoid admitting to that sort of thing... or he's in denial.

I found him to be belligerent and partisan in his rebuttals and I am concerned about someone who thinks the Clintons and the Deep State or whatever are trying to keep him off the courts.

I think they should have spent more time focusing on his missing records during the Bush years, really.

And, of course, I fully expected a conservative to take that seat. I'm not some sort of leftist loon who does not understand how government works.

But, I would have preferred a less controversial choice for a number of reasons and most have nothing to do with Ford, not really.
Ok, now that we've got your definition of "blacking out", I present to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOr808UXOgE

And for the record, my definition of "blacking out" is when you can't remember what you did. To me, "passing out" is not "blacking out". Nonetheless, you stated in your definition that it means passing out OR cannot recall. In this testimony, he claims that he went to sleep - which is passing out.

So, by your definition, he didn't lie.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:23 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ok, now that we've got your definition of "blacking out", I present to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOr808UXOgE

And for the record, my definition of "blacking out" is when you can't remember what you did. To me, "passing out" is not "blacking out". Nonetheless, you stated in your definition that it means passing out OR cannot recall. In this testimony, he claims that he went to sleep - which is passing out.

So, by your definition, he didn't lie.
Blacking out is exactly how you described it. No memory of what happened. That's the clinical definition of it.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 12,293,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree. I mean Ford could have very well been attacked, I can't really say, she may have thought it was Brett.... I might have been him, I don't know.

BUT once you add booze and 35 years later and not telling a soul back then and no one to back it up... it gets too gray for people who use rational logic.

Overall, Ford was used.

I appreciate your reasoned logic and fair minded approach to it. That one Senator, I forget her name, she gave some really great points and she got her ass handed to her by the far wacky left. Death threats and all and all the woman did was use basic reasoned and fair minded logic.
She said she was 100% certain it was Kavanaugh, and his friend Mark Judge. So either we believe she was assaulted by him or we don't believe her story at all. But it is wrong for us to make assumptions and change their stories to suit us. I don't know how anyone can guess she was assaulted but not by the guy she 100% identified.

If her story is true, it doesn't matter that the dems used it to their advantage. She came forward with it and does not regret it.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
She said she was 100% certain it was Kavanaugh, and his friend Mark Judge. So either we believe she was assaulted by him or we don't believe her story at all. But it is wrong for us to make assumptions and change their stories to suit us. I don't know how anyone can guess she was assaulted but not by the guy she 100% identified.

If her story is true, it doesn't matter that the dems used it to their advantage. She came forward with it and does not regret it.
It's not true, she lied. Her own damn friend who she listed as an witness denied it ever happened. You can't get anymore rebuked than your own damn witness saying it never happened.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 PM

21,493 posts, read 10,611,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Lol. How many times do I have to remind you posters it was a job interview, not a criminal trial, thus, there was no legal standard for "innocent until proven guilty?" But lofty sentiments about how you believe in the justice system make Kavanaugh supporters sound a lot better than saying, "I'm a conservative/Trump supporter, so I will trust a guy who lied about his drinking habits and connections to Yale at the very least." It's irrelevant now, no matter how much of a Kavanaugh fan a person is, Americans really should be able to tell the two apart by now.
And how many times do we have to reject your notion that this was merely a "job interview" and that standards of evidence and due process still apply when accused of a crime? If the nominee to the Supreme Court can't even get due process against an uncorroborated accusation, then we've got problems.

Do you want the standard for that job to now be if someone makes a mere allegation that's unprovable one way or the other, then we must withdraw the nominee's name from consideration? Because if that's the new standard, no one is going to want the job because suddenly everyone will have accusations thrown at them and have to go through a university-style sexual assault tribunal. This would absolutely ruin people's lives over nothing.

AND THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.