Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM

27,147 posts, read 13,438,724 times

Advertisements

The origins of the Snow White tale have been traced back to the Roman legend of Chione which means "Snow" in Greek and, in the story.

In Chione she is described as the most beautiful woman in the land, so beautiful that both the gods Apollo and Mercury both fell in love with her. Mercury put her to sleep with the touch of his caduceus and raped her in her sleep. Then Apollo, disguised as an old crone, approached her and raped her again.

These affections led Chione to openly boast that she was more beautiful than the goddess Diana herself, resulting in Diana shooting her through the tongue with an arrow.

Origin of the Snow White tale - Wikipedia

Chione was hardly a childrens story, and obviously the story changed over the centuries and became part of European folklore.

The modern version of "Snow White" is a German fairy tale known across much of Europe and is today one of the most famous fairy tales worldwide. The Brothers Grimm published it in 1812 in the first edition of their collection Grimms' Fairy Tales. It was titled in German: Sneewittchen (in modern orthography Schneewittchen) and numbered as Tale 53. The Grimms completed their final revision of the story in 1854.It has generally been regarded as purely a tale of fiction; however, recent research suggests that the story may have been inspired from a real story".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Can you imagine Pepe Le Pew being a Saturday morning staple again? Times surely have changed.
they sure have. but pepe le pew was just lame. not entertaining.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
You know people have too much time on their hands and are living the dream if they have time to think up such rubbish.
So many 1st world problems to moan about means they have never experienced real bad times like their parents or especially their grandparents went through.

Hopefully they will do some volunteer work with disabled people or very ill children, to help give them a better perspective on life.
Maybe then they would be less "triggered" over words and fairy tales.

`

Old 10-18-2018, 10:50 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
The one that upsets me is Hansel and Gretel. Tricking that witch out of a good meal.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
What do teenagers have to do with five and three year olds?
My comment wasn't comparing young children to teenagers, it was comparing a mother who thinks she needs to relate a fairy tale kiss to assault, and a dad who can't see the difference between Nerf wars and school shootings.

As for young kids and fantasy, even a five year old knows that mirrors don't talk to you and you can't turn into a witch by brewing a potion. We're way too serious these days.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:00 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
This is true but I hate Snow White because of the Disneyfied version of Snow White. I hate the voice and I am a HUGE Disney fan. That said this thing is somewhat true, she only knew the Prince by a far and then kissed by him to awake her. Sure enough, the issue is how things are much different today. This is why some reboots of shows or movies are not accepted today.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
A friend of mine brought an illustrated fairy tale book back from England when my daughter was 1 years old. I looked and read it....no way was I going to read those to my kid! Not my idea of fairy tales! I think those and Grimm were written to scare and keep children of bygone days in line. I really do.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,837 times
Maxine Waters would love to be kissed by Prince Charming. Might turn her into an actual human being.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
There are lots of fairy tales that were written in other times that include behaviors and attitudes we wouldn't teach to our children today. The answer is simple: if you are going to read those fairy tales to young kids, you also discuss them. That's what I did. Think of how scary and awful Little Red Riding Hood is. Or how about Hansel and Gretel being abandoned by their parents and killing a "witch?" The list goes on. It is just common sense that we are careful with what we read to young kids and that we teach the lessons WE want them to hear and not just leave the lessons with them that were perhaps appropriate at a different time and place.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:10 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is true but I hate Snow White because of the Disneyfied version of Snow White. I hate the voice and I am a HUGE Disney fan. That said this thing is somewhat true, she only knew the Prince by a far and then kissed by him to awake her. Sure enough, the issue is how things are much different today. This is why some reboots of shows or movies are not accepted today.

As a Disney fan, how do you feel about the recent changes to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies