Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
There are lots of fairy tales that were written in other times that include behaviors and attitudes we wouldn't teach to our children today. The answer is simple: if you are going to read those fairy tales to young kids, you also discuss them. That's what I did. Think of how scary and awful Little Red Riding Hood is. Or how about Hansel and Gretel being abandoned by their parents and killing a "witch?" The list goes on. It is just common sense that we are careful with what we read to young kids and that we teach the lessons WE want them to hear and not just leave the lessons with them that were perhaps appropriate at a different time and place.
I agree, how did we not do this even when I was a kid in the 1990's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,221,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
There are lots of fairy tales that were written in other times that include behaviors and attitudes we wouldn't teach to our children today. The answer is simple: if you are going to read those fairy tales to young kids, you also discuss them. That's what I did. Think of how scary and awful Little Red Riding Hood is. Or how about Hansel and Gretel being abandoned by their parents and killing a "witch?" The list goes on. It is just common sense that we are careful with what we read to young kids and that we teach the lessons WE want them to hear and not just leave the lessons with them that were perhaps appropriate at a different time and place.
My mother and father never talked to me about "learning" anything from my fairy tales. I also saw no need to "explain" a "message" from a fairy tale to mine. We all grew up just fine, tyvm. Somehow all our little pea brains knew the difference between fairy tales and real life. How could that have been????

Old 10-18-2018, 11:15 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,300,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Well, really, If I kiss an unconscious woman I've never met...that's not so much romantic, as assault. I think her criticisms are understandable. She's not going nuts over them. She's just making some valid criticisms.

Also, the Little Mermaid is a story about a teen girl who runs away from home to make a life-altering, dangerous decision to pseudo-stalk a man she's never met in the hopes of dating him. He falls in love with her, despite her not being able to talk, because he thinks she's hot. Also, the guy she's married to has probably eaten several of the fish she's good friends with.

If a parent doesn't want their five and three year old daughters to view that...I have no problem with that whatsoever. That and horror films, and rated R stuff, adult nudity, and whatever.

I wouldn't have a problem with her mentality unless she was saying "We should ban those movies" or something.

They're five and 3. It's not like she's saying "I don't want my 19 year old daughter watching The Little Mermaid."
No, she is not making valid criticisms. Prince Charming Kissed Snow White to save her life.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
As a Disney fan, how do you feel about the recent changes to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland?
I haven't seen them for myself. My last trip to Disneyland was right before Pirates of the Caribbean was reopened from the recent update. From what I've seen, I don't mind the "We want the rum" though it will be weird not hearing "We want the redhead" but at least the Redhead is made a pirate out of it, I mean there were female pirates right? That said, it can't be worse than Pirates are hungry...

Old 10-18-2018, 11:20 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My mother and father never talked to me about "learning" anything from my fairy tales. I also saw no need to "explain" a "message" from a fairy tale to mine. We all grew up just fine, tyvm. Somehow all our little pea brains knew the difference between fairy tales and real life. How could that have been????
Spot on!!!!

Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,773,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Well, really, If I kiss an unconscious woman I've never met...that's not so much romantic, as assault. I think her criticisms are understandable. She's not going nuts over them. She's just making some valid criticisms.
New puritanism. Regressives want to turn the clock back 300 years.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,506,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I haven't seen them for myself. My last trip to Disneyland was right before Pirates of the Caribbean was reopened from the recent update. From what I've seen, I don't mind the "We want the rum" though it will be weird not hearing "We want the redhead" but at least the Redhead is made a pirate out of it, I mean there were female pirates right? That said, it can't be worse than Pirates are hungry...
I saw the updated version a few weeks ago. The changes didn't add anything of value to the ride, IMO, and TBH, I think they are silly... These were pirates for crying out loud. They were crude, obnoxious drunks in real life. Making them out to be a bunch of nice guys is essentially like trying to rewrite history.

Needless to say, I prefer the pre-updated version.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,506,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Perhaps part of the problem today is that kids aren't allowed to think anymore. Many of them are railroaded down a certain thought path... this is good, this is bad, never do this, only do that, don't touch that, eat this, etc. etc.

Even many of the toys now are objective-oriented... build this spaceship, build this car, be "creative" by drawing this exact thing. There's little room for imagination and exploration. It's one of the reasons I buy my niece regular legos and duplos, so that she can use her brain and be creative, not just follow instructions on how to build XYZ.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,299,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Isn't the whole point of the apple, a warning to children that they shouldn't take gifts from strangers, and that the stranger was evil and poisoned the apple.

In the story Snow White cleary did the wrong thing by trusting the stranger and taking the apple and se later suffered the consequences.

So wasn't it an early type of beware of strangers message.

Stranger danger - Wikipedia

The kising to revive, is similar to the kiss of life, and we breathe in to peoples mouths and pump their chest to revive them.

Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation - Wikipedia

Basically, yes.

Also, in those times, princesses and princes were often married off, without even knowing one another. So, that prince kissing her was the norm at the time.

It's easy, as a parent, to talk to your kids about stuff like that.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
All fairy tales teach kids bad life lessons - that boys have to "save" girls and that girls need "saving."

It is a reason I never shared them with my own kids and I'm glad my daughter doesn't like Disney princess movies as a result.

I'll note that the original Grimm tales are very grim indeed lol. One of my great grandmothers got me an illustrated Grimm storybook when I was 10 and it had pretty gruesome pictures of Cinderella's step sisters cutting off pieces of their feet to try to fit the glass slippers lol.

So even as a kid, I thought fairy tales were both dumb and horrific and I never shared them with my own kids. Even Mother Goose is pretty horrific at times. But they are good for learning to read so I did share them with my kids.
I can understand why some would not want their little girls indoctrinated with role models who must be saved and live to marry prince charming to be taken care of and would rather expose them to more strong, independent and capable female models.

But times were different when these fairy tales were written and often were based on actual and often Grimm events. Children today or for the past decades, even centuries couldn't comprehend the morbidity, unfairness and apathy that was common in the lives of children centuries ago. Most of these old stories have been revised and toned down and adjusted for changing societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies