Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:54 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Other famous Nationalists:
Winston Churchill
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Teddy Roosevelt
John F Kennedy
Dwight Eisenhower
Ronald Reagan
Franklin D Roosevelt

Being proud of your nation state isn't in and of itself evil. Putting the needs of your own nation first before the needs of other nations isn't immoral. You refining terms doesn't actually change their meanings either. Nationalism and patriotism are one and the same thing. The very Left-biased Huffington Post doesn't get to change the meaning of words either. Yes we all know that Progressives have created new-speak where words that were well defined for centuries suddenly mean something else entirely, but I refuse to accept Progressive new-speak.

Nationalism -- Noun -- https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nationalism
  1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.
  2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.
  3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
Deciding that "we're the best country in the world" isn't a bad thing. Rooting for Team USA at the Olympics doesn't make you a bad person. Believing that the USA is the best nation on earth is actually a very positive idea. Conversely, deciding that "It is our destiny to conquer and rule all of humankind" is not nationalism. That's something else altogether.

White nationalism is something else altogether. White nationalists reject the USA and everything it stands for. Instead, they want to destroy it and break it up into racially segregated sectors. White people in live in Whiteland. Black people live in Blackland. These people are delusional. How many pure anything do you think even exists?? Barack Obama is half-black and half-white. Where would the poor guy live? Trump did not claim to be a white nationalist. He said nationalist. These are two massively different things.

Great post. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:02 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nobody? 100,000 came to hear him speak in Houston.
Obama can't even fill up a 2,000 seat venue. And that's with Salt N' Pepper there telling Barry to "Push It". LAWL.
Oh, I was just reading something that showed the absurdity of your claim. Damn, I wish I could find it. Obama did in fact fill enormous venues. However, unlike Trump, Obama was a restrained, intelligent, well-spoken man. Trump is none of these - just a huckster showman.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 PM

10,483 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Trump, apparently trying to sound rational in a speech clearly written by someone else, said "No one should carelessly compare political opponents to historical villains."

I suppose that means that someone pointed out to him the growing number of people comparing him to Hitler?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...?tab=most-read
All your posts are nothing but about Trump. Are you obsessed with him? Or is this the deal with your contract with George Soros? Doesn't matter, Trump is still your rightfully elected President of the United States.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:10 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Oh, I was just reading something that showed the absurdity of your claim. Damn, I wish I could find it. Obama did in fact fill enormous venues. However, unlike Trump, Obama was a restrained, intelligent, well-spoken man. Trump is none of these - just a huckster showman.
How convenient that you can’t find it..... just cite some anonymous source. You guys don’t seem to have an issue believing all those “anonymous sources” that the MSM is always using to qualify their attacks.
Ya know... I am starting to think that you don’t like our POTUS.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Other famous Nationalists:
Winston Churchill
Abraham Lincoln
George Washington
Teddy Roosevelt
John F Kennedy
Dwight Eisenhower
Ronald Reagan
Franklin D Roosevelt

Being proud of your nation state isn't in and of itself evil. Putting the needs of your own nation first before the needs of other nations isn't immoral. You refining terms doesn't actually change their meanings either. Nationalism and patriotism are one and the same thing. The very Left-biased Huffington Post doesn't get to change the meaning of words either. Yes we all know that Progressives have created new-speak where words that were well defined for centuries suddenly mean something else entirely, but I refuse to accept Progressive new-speak.

Nationalism -- Noun -- https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nationalism
  1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.
  2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.
  3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.

Deciding that "we're the best country in the world" isn't a bad thing. Rooting for Team USA at the Olympics doesn't make you a bad person. Believing that the USA is the best nation on earth is actually a very positive idea. Conversely, deciding that "It is our destiny to conquer and rule all of humankind" is not nationalism. That's something else altogether.

White nationalism is something else altogether. White nationalists reject the USA and everything it stands for. Instead, they want to destroy it and break it up into racially segregated sectors. White people in live in Whiteland. Black people live in Blackland. These people are delusional. How many pure anything do you think even exists?? Barack Obama is half-black and half-white. Where would the poor guy live? Trump did not claim to be a white nationalist. He said nationalist. These are two massively different things.
Here are some others:
Putin
Erdogan
Stalin
Castro
Mussolini
Hitler
Kim
Xi
Aflag
Sihanouk
Ho Chi Minh.

Your list, those politicians would never have called themselves Nationalists.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nobody? 100,000 came to hear him speak in Houston.

Obama can't even fill up a 2,000 seat venue. And that's with Salt N' Pepper there telling Barry to "Push It". LAWL.
That's just not true. What site did you get this fake news from. The Houston police chief said that there were no more than 19,000 attendees inside and about 3,000 outside.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Here are some others:
Putin
Erdogan
Stalin
Castro
Mussolini
Hitler
Kim
Xi
Aflag
Sihanouk
Ho Chi Minh.

Your list, those politicians would never have called themselves Nationalists.
Why wouldn't they? Nationalism didn't become a dirty word until very very recently. It's only a dirty word on the ultra-PC Left who tried to redefine what the word means. I can absolutely see Lincoln or FDR or JFK calling themselves nationalists.

Yes many people throughout history, both bad and good, were Nationalists. They sought to unite their nation in common cause. Some for good ends, others for bad. Some were successful. Others weren't. Most of your list were self-serving folks who used the nationalistic/patriotic feelings of others to satisfy their own lust for power. Most likely, most of them were not not all that patriotic themselves. Take Stalin for example. How patriotic of a Russian are you when you massacre tens of millions of your own Russian people. How many Germans died for Hitler's ambition? How many Koreans died because Kim was an a-hole. Did any of these men regret all the deaths they made happen? Not very patriotic if you ask me.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:51 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Is Trump more than a nationalist? Is he a fascist?

14 Defining Characteristics of a Fascist Leader

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism. Yes, Trump is strongly nationalist.
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights.Trump has shown little interest in human rights as a foreign policy goal, and is friendly to oppressive regimes.
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause. Trump is strongly anti-immigrant. Hispanic and Islamic immigrants are scapegoated.

4. Supremacy of the Military. ✔ Trump wants a Soviet-style military parade.
5. Rampant Sexism. Trump has a long history of demeaning remarks to and actions toward women.
6. Controlled Mass Media. Trump's bashing of CNN, alliance with Fox and use of Twitter are his attempts to control and shape the media narrative to the greatest extent he can.

7. Obsession with National Security. The muslim travel ban and the "Wall" are examples.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined. Not intertwined, but his Supreme Court picks are clearly designed to please the fundamental Christians.
9. Corporate Power is Protected. Trump signed the Dodd-Frank rollback law and is no friend to consumer rights.

10. Labor Power is Suppressed. Trump celebrated Janus v. AFSCME, bringing 'right to work' to government offices.
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts. "From the beginning of his presidency, Donald Trump has remained determinedly anti-intellectual. " -- US News and WR. Rejects climate change science.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment.Supports ICE and their heavy-handed tactics
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption. The Mueller investigation continues with convictions, plea deals and dozens of indictments.
14. Fraudulent Elections. While the Mueller investigation is not complete, there is circumstantial evidence that the Trump campaign knew about and welcomed Russian interference in the 2016 elections. And Trump said the election was "rigged."

Thankfully our Constitution prevents Trump from becoming a life term dictator; regardless, he meets all the criteria of being a "lite fascist."

Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,898,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Just another example that our president can dish it out, but can't take it.
I feel bad for him he seriously has no idea of how he sounds sometimes. That's what happens when you live your entire life privileged you have no idea what reality really is like because no one checks you, a reality check that is. The sad part it's actually not his fault it's those around him who don't shine the mirror on his divisive rhetoric. He didn't understand just how ruthless politics is, and it takes a lot of courage to be able to withstand the heat that opponents throw out at one, and when one can't withstand that heat like a child the first instinct is to insult the critics.

I give him credit in being able to play his base, i'm convinced that when he makes outrageous claims he doesn't even believe the claims, but he understands that his base will stand with him, and they will welcome the claims so I give him credit for that.

Last edited by sean1the1; 10-25-2018 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 10:50 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
On one hand, I completely understand your feelings, My54ford. But on the other hand, I have to say that the pieces I've read aren't simply coming up with off-the-cuff insults - they're making careful historical comparisons with specific events and policies of Nazi Germany, such as the demonization of the press. (Not to mention the virulent anti-semitism of his followers.). I'm sure you also know the saying that those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
When people compare Trump to Hitler, they're thinking in terms of what he might do in the future, if he's allowed to keep driving us closer to a dictatorship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies