Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Is Trump more than a nationalist? Is he a fascist?

14 Defining Characteristics of a Fascist Leader

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism. Yes, Trump is strongly nationalist.
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights.Trump has shown little interest in human rights as a foreign policy goal, and is friendly to oppressive regimes.
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause. Trump is strongly anti-immigrant. Hispanic and Islamic immigrants are scapegoated.

4. Supremacy of the Military. ✔ Trump wants a Soviet-style military parade.
5. Rampant Sexism. Trump has a long history of demeaning remarks to and actions toward women.
6. Controlled Mass Media. Trump's bashing of CNN, alliance with Fox and use of Twitter are his attempts to control and shape the media narrative to the greatest extent he can.

7. Obsession with National Security. The muslim travel ban and the "Wall" are examples.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined. Not intertwined, but his Supreme Court picks are clearly designed to please the fundamental Christians.
9. Corporate Power is Protected. Trump signed the Dodd-Frank rollback law and is no friend to consumer rights.

10. Labor Power is Suppressed. Trump celebrated Janus v. AFSCME, bringing 'right to work' to government offices.
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts. "From the beginning of his presidency, Donald Trump has remained determinedly anti-intellectual. " -- US News and WR. Rejects climate change science.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment.Supports ICE and their heavy-handed tactics
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption. The Mueller investigation continues with convictions, plea deals and dozens of indictments.
14. Fraudulent Elections. While the Mueller investigation is not complete, there is circumstantial evidence that the Trump campaign knew about and welcomed Russian interference in the 2016 elections. And Trump said the election was "rigged."

Thankfully our Constitution prevents Trump from becoming a life term dictator; regardless, he meets all the criteria of being a "lite fascist."

Dang, you did quite a bit research it looks like. Until now, I don't think I had heard of the Dodd-Frank rollback law (maybe once).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 12:50 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
“And by the way, do you see how nice I am behaving tonight?” he told the crowd in Wisconsin. “Have you ever seen this? We’re all behaving very well, and hopefully we can keep it that way. We’re going to keep it that way.”

I don't see that happening.
No, it's all so ridiculous...he only said that, having come directly from making the statement at the W H. He must have felt conflicted, but that was what was in his head at that moment. A Puppet. He will not maintain trying to be a compassionate, even-minded and sincere adult. He is so phony and mixed up.. such a waste of time for all.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Oh, I was just reading something that showed the absurdity of your claim. Damn, I wish I could find it. Obama did in fact fill enormous venues. However, unlike Trump, Obama was a restrained, intelligent, well-spoken man. Trump is none of these - just a huckster showman.
"They" do not appear able to get that. They don't ever say, "Oh, yeah..I see how he is now". Except for some who apparently have previously figured it out, they appear hopeless.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
On one hand, I completely understand your feelings, My54ford. But on the other hand, I have to say that the pieces I've read aren't simply coming up with off-the-cuff insults - they're making careful historical comparisons with specific events and policies of Nazi Germany, such as the demonization of the press. (Not to mention the virulent anti-semitism of his followers.). I'm sure you also know the saying that those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
As I said...An inane lack of understanding of the period.........

Old 10-26-2018, 03:25 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That's just not true. What site did you get this fake news from. The Houston police chief said that there were no more than 19,000 attendees inside and about 3,000 outside.
That's right in line with Trump always adding a factor of 5X to the size of his crowds.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:23 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I don't care if you love him or hate him, anyone trying to make that comparison is simply showing their complete ignorance of who Hitler really was and what his true dreams for the Third Reich actually were. I have read extensively about Adolf Hitler. I first became obsessed with WWII and the Holocaust when I was around 10 years old, and since that time I've read probably close to 100 books on the subject. Donald Trump isn't Hitler. Neither was Barack Obama, or George W. Bush, or any of the other presidents that have come and gone and had that evil man's name invoked in comparison with them. There was one and only one Adolf Hitler, and thankfully he is dead and gone.

PS. Simply saying Trump is a nationalist, and so was Hitler, is absolutely not enough to draw a comparison between the two. Once again, using that as your "evidence" is laughable at best.
Excellent post

Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
Quote:

2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights.Trump has shown little interest in human rights as a foreign policy goal, and is friendly to oppressive regimes.
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause. Trump is strongly anti-immigrant. Hispanic and Islamic immigrants are scapegoated.

5. Rampant Sexism. Trump has a long history of demeaning remarks to and actions toward women.
6. Controlled Mass Media. Trump's bashing of CNN, alliance with Fox and use of Twitter are his attempts to control and shape the media narrative to the greatest extent he can.

7. Obsession with National Security. The muslim travel ban and the "Wall" are examples.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined. Not intertwined, but his Supreme Court picks are clearly designed to please the fundamental Christians.
9. Corporate Power is Protected. Trump signed the Dodd-Frank rollback law and is no friend to consumer rights.

10. Labor Power is Suppressed. Trump celebrated Janus v. AFSCME, bringing 'right to work' to government offices.
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts. "From the beginning of his presidency, Donald Trump has remained determinedly anti-intellectual. " -- US News and WR. Rejects climate change science.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment.Supports ICE and their heavy-handed tactics
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption. The Mueller investigation continues with convictions, plea deals and dozens of indictments.
14. Fraudulent Elections. While the Mueller investigation is not complete, there is circumstantial evidence that the Trump campaign knew about and welcomed Russian interference in the 2016 elections. And Trump said the election was "rigged."

Thankfully our Constitution prevents Trump from becoming a life term dictator; regardless, he meets all the criteria of being a "lite fascist."
Yes it does.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:36 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
He’s punking you in hopes that you’ll keep showing your TDS.
Interesting comment. Why would we want a President that is good at "punking" the citizens he supposedly represents? This sounds like something most people would have left behind in high school.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:39 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:

I think it's really strange that the "journalists" in the MSM refuse to use the "F" word. It was obvious from day 1 that Trump and many on the far Right are neo-fascists of one flavor or another. Not sure why the media isn't pointing this out, and not really sure why Trump and Bannon and others are not more open about their ideology.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:44 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why wouldn't they? Nationalism didn't become a dirty word until very very recently. It's only a dirty word on the ultra-PC Left who tried to redefine what the word means. I can absolutely see Lincoln or FDR or JFK calling themselves nationalists.

Yes many people throughout history, both bad and good, were Nationalists. They sought to unite their nation in common cause. Some for good ends, others for bad. Some were successful. Others weren't. Most of your list were self-serving folks who used the nationalistic/patriotic feelings of others to satisfy their own lust for power. Most likely, most of them were not not all that patriotic themselves. Take Stalin for example. How patriotic of a Russian are you when you massacre tens of millions of your own Russian people. How many Germans died for Hitler's ambition? How many Koreans died because Kim was an a-hole. Did any of these men regret all the deaths they made happen? Not very patriotic if you ask me.

You answer your own question.

"Most of your list were self-serving folks who used the nationalistic/patriotic feeling of others to satisfy their own lust for power"

Trump fits that description and you can add enriching himself and family by having the most corrupt administration in the history of the nation.

Nationalism is more then the definition you have given.

It also requires the ability to control the media, our constitution does not allow that.

It also requires that business be controlled by the nationalist, our constitution does not allow that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies