Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I actually feel very sorry for her. This sad episode has the potential to be her utter un-doing, and I truly hope that there are people in her life who can tread the thin line between loving her unconditionally and holding her accountable. She needs help.
Nope. She was already on a destructive path long before this episode. Just look how drunk she is in the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,197 times
I have a lot of thoughts about this, and some might be tangential to this, beyond the obvious disrespect for this woman's willful stupidity.

There's a trend of punishing people for being publicly racist/homophobic, etc. that is a complete departure from the so-called "good ole days," and in some ways, that's great. This crap shouldn't have been ok to begin with. But, what do you do with all these people once you've fired them for being irresponsible enough to vocalize their backwards views to the world? Do they become unemployable, and now we have x number more people on government assistance because even though they might be willing to work, no one will hire them because they're racist jerks? Racist jerks still have to pay bills and eat.

What is this culture of videotaping every damn thing? I'm a millennial and I love Instagram as much as the next one, but is this where we want to go? Am I sounding melodramatic? I remember watching the video of Alton Sterling being shot. I admit that I was simultaneously horrified AND irritated. Why? Because there were obviously multiple people making videos of this man's murder instead of doing something to prevent his murder. If our instinct is to pull out phones and tape something, will it cease to occur to anyone to DO SOMETHING about what's going on and we'll just watch unspeakable things happen to other people?

Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,891,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Damn she got fired from a career. Getting fired from a career vs getting fired from a job is very different to recover from. Lime I said before. Black victim +iPhone +Twitter or Facebook = you are getting fired from your job.
I would restate it Black activist +iPhone +Twitter or Facebook = you are getting fired from your job. I think to call most of these videographers "victims" is a stretch or jumping to a conclusion. The victims here are really the white persons being set up.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,576,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree here. She could end up homeless for this incident and be totally unemployable for a long time. She’s getting treated worse than someone who physically assaulted somebody.
Let's not forget whom the victims were in the incident. (Hint: it wasn't Westwood)

Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Without seeing the entire video, what she did was probably wrong but I don't agree with people being fired for stuff in their personal life.

What people do on their personal time can be a reflection on their employer. Let's take it to the extreme, let's say I beat my wife every evening, or I get high on drugs. Sure, it is after work, but companies have reputations to protect and a public image. I bet if I did either one of the things I cited, my employer would boot me in a heartbeat.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,392,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Let's not forget whom the victims were in the incident. (Hint: it wasn't Westwood)
No, Westwood harassed and threatened those women and made an ass of herself in the process, but in all likelihood, those women will move on and be just fine. Westwood, on the other hand, looks to have a serious problem with alcohol. I'm not making excuses for her behavior, which was abominable and, frankly, inexcusable. I'm just hoping that she has people in her life who can help her because it could not be clearer that she needs some.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:41 PM

7,829 posts, read 4,576,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
No, Westwood harassed and threatened those women and made an ass of herself in the process, but in all likelihood, those women will move on and be just fine. Westwood, on the other hand, looks to have a serious problem with alcohol. I'm not making excuses for her behavior, which was abominable and, frankly, inexcusable. I'm just hoping that she has people in her life who can help her because it could not be clearer that she needs some.
Got it. The victims will be fine. Thoughts and prayers for the drunk racist.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,395,866 times
After seeing the whole video (finally) I guess? it was racist.

The weave comment seemed more like a personal attack at the camera girl who was presumably wearing one. That's the way I took it.

I took the baby daddy comment to imply that the camera girl was a s-lut and not necessarily a racial jab. Fights between chicks usually include the words "s-lut" and "b-itch" (which we got). Like I said before baby daddy culture is rampant throughout lower socio-economic culture regardless of race. I don't specifically associate it with black people.

But I guess topping it off with the "I'm white" running commentary is enough that if someone wants to say it was racist I'm not going to fight them on it. It was rude, idiotic, and entertaining though and I'll argue the merits of that if someone disagrees.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,912,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Nope. She was already on a destructive path long before this episode. Just look how drunk she is in the video.
Lots of successful drunks

Old 10-29-2018, 06:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,395,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I would restate it Black activist +iPhone +Twitter or Facebook = you are getting fired from your job. I think to call most of these videographers "victims" is a stretch or jumping to a conclusion. The victims here are really the white persons being set up.
The white lady wasn't "set up". The black girls were having car trouble in the parking lot waiting for service when the drunk initiated the interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies