Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 06:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
But the problem is this: There is no plausible explanation that justifies defining the term "subject to the jurisdiction" to exclude illegal aliens. None.

I believe this is just red meat to charge up the base before the midterms, but if Trump actually passed an Executive Order defining it in such a way, I don't think the Supreme Court would review it. I think the District Court would issue a TRO and eventually strike it down, the Circuit Court would affirm, and the Supreme Court would deny cert. Its too obviously unconstitutional.

Illegal immigrants declare themselves not subject to the jurisdiction of US law by crossing the border without proper documentation, in violation of immigration laws, and, when caught, by failing to appear for their court dates.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Illegal immigrants declare themselves not subject to the jurisdiction of US law by crossing the border without proper documentation, in violation of immigration laws, and, when caught, by failing to appear for their court dates.
You can't declare yourself not subject to the jurisdiction of US law, if people could do that they couldn't be arrested

Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We can make illegal entry a felony. As you said, illegal entry after prior deportation is alredy a felony. So even applying just that puts some harsh consequences to that group. Anything helps.
Bigger question is why, every single time someone suggests doing something that would penalize or discourage illegal immigration, you liberals immediately fight and argue against it? Do you have to *always* be on the side of illegal entrants?
The last time a republican congress had the opportunity to make illegal entry a felony they refused. CNN.com - Immigration bill*may lose felony proviso - Apr 11, 2006 What makes you think they would do anything different now?

Now to answer your 'bigger question". I am a liberal and I think illegal immigration needs to be stopped, but rather than demonize people who are coming here not to to earn a living, I want to see the magnet removed, I would love to see employers put in jail for hiring illegals. After that happened a few times the flow of immigrants would drop off to almost nothing. I've been an advocate for mandatory e-verify for decades and congress has done nothing, again that's largely because politicians depend on campaign money from the businesses who do not want to risk losing a reliable, cheap, compliant labor force. I also think birthright citizenship isn't in our best interest and I would support any effort to change it but only if it was applied prospectively, I do not want to see the citizenship revoked of people who are already here.

I know it's probably hard to understand, but when I argue about the legality of a particular action, it is almost never based on wanting to make it easy for illegals to cross the border or to stay here, but instead my arguments are about what the existing law actually is. I hate reading page after page of posts where people suggest ridiculous and unlawful solutions to this problem, when they do I try to explain that they are wrong and I back up my comments with source material.

If people are going to have a rational discussion about this, we should at least be willing to talk about what can be done within the framework of our existing laws, not fantasize about absurd solutions that will never become reality. Reading some of these posts make me feel like I woke up in upside down world

Old 11-02-2018, 08:17 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The last time a republican congress had the opportunity to make illegal entry a felony they refused. CNN.com - Immigration bill*may lose felony proviso - Apr 11, 2006 What makes you think they would do anything different now?

Now to answer your 'bigger question". I am a liberal and I think illegal immigration needs to be stopped, but rather than demonize people who are coming here not to to earn a living, I want to see the magnet removed, I would love to see employers put in jail for hiring illegals. After that happened a few times the flow of immigrants would drop off to almost nothing. I've been an advocate for mandatory e-verify for decades and congress has done nothing, again that's largely because politicians depend on campaign money from the businesses who do not want to risk losing a reliable, cheap, compliant labor force. I also think birthright citizenship isn't in our best interest and I would support any effort to change it but only if it was applied prospectively, I do not want to see the citizenship revoked of people who are already here.

I know it's probably hard to understand, but when I argue about the legality of a particular action, it is almost never based on wanting to make it easy for illegals to cross the border or to stay here, but instead my arguments are about what the existing law actually is. I hate reading page after page of posts where people suggest ridiculous and unlawful solutions to this problem, when they do I try to explain that they are wrong and I back up my comments with source material.

If people are going to have a rational discussion about this, we should at least be willing to talk about what can be done within the framework of our existing laws, not fantasize about absurd solutions that will never become reality. Reading some of these posts make me feel like I woke up in upside down world

((Standing ovation))
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:

They might do differently now because now we have a President who has the bulls to call for action regardless of how much the media and establishment will wail and whine, one who is not kow-towing to his adversaries and trying to be "liked", and will call it out for what it is.

So anything else besides the one issue - E-verify? Are Dems in support of that? Why didn't that happen in 2009? When I speak of liberals fighting against every solution that would decrease illegal immigration I'm talking about the party and the movement as a whole not any one person. And I support E-verify too. It's a wide complex problem that will require solutions on many fronts.

Btw, you can't put "employers" in jail because corporations are legal entities not physical human ones. Oh I guess you could put managers of the employers in jail. You'd come to that pesky point of innocent until proven guilty and having to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and in most cases the illegals are providing forged id to the employers.

Don't jobsite raids hurt employers? It shuts down operations and takes away their trained workforce.

But let's say we enact E-verify and it is effective. Unable to find jobs, how will the illegals eat? Will they self-deport or will they turn to crime?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
You can't declare yourself not subject to the jurisdiction of US law, if people could do that they couldn't be arrested

What verb do you suggest?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Unable to find jobs, how will the illegals eat?

Food stamps.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Food stamps.
They are not eligible for food stamps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2018, 08:57 PM

57,305 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:

Nicely stated and I agree this needs to be addressed but the belief that this proposal is a rational solution is not based on facts. The amendment is clear but if it needs to be changed it will be done in congress, not in the courts.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They are not eligible for food stamps.

They're not eligible to cross the border without a passport and visa, either; doesn't stop them from crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies