Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think birthright citizenship should be ended? If so, how would you prefer that be done?
No. I think the status quo is fine. 51 19.47%
Yes. I would like Trump to Issue an Executive Order, and let it go to the Supreme Court. 48 18.32%
Yes. I would like Congress to create a law of who is eligible for birthright citizenship. 53 20.23%
Yes. I would like a constitutional amendment eliminating birthright citizenship. 110 41.98%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:40 AM

13,618 posts, read 21,423,007 times

Advertisements

If congress planned to act to stop Russian women from birth tourism, central Americans crossing the border to give birth and Chinese entering to give birth who would oppose ending it? End it all for all fair enough?

who would oppose that? Or is there a political motive to keep it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,703,004 times
There is no affirmative action to anchoring a baby. Only affirmative action after its anchored.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 PM

13,681 posts, read 4,975,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If congress planned to act to stop Russian women from birth tourism, central Americans crossing the border to give birth and Chinese entering to give birth who would oppose ending it? End it all for all fair enough?

who would oppose that? Or is there a political motive to keep it?
Depends on how you think congress would act to end it. Since a constitutional amendment would be required, kind of a moot point.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 570,487 times
I’m against it coming from 3rd world countries that are incompatible with Western values and culture.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:08 PM

7,675 posts, read 8,755,963 times
Why not start a poll.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 PM

13,618 posts, read 21,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Depends on how you think congress would act to end it. Since a constitutional amendment would be required, kind of a moot point.
to expand the question then who would be against a constitutional amendment to end it.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Who is against ending citizenship by birth on U.S soil?

What red blooded American, that is taxed to death, would be for it in their right mind.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:21 PM

17,663 posts, read 17,797,686 times
I voted for Trump but am against an executive order to end birth to citizenship. I’m against this path to citizenship but I want it repealed through Congressional action in accordance with the US Constitution.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:32 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,289,565 times
Default End it

I agree with ending automatic citizenship for babies born in America to non-citizens. I think we are the only country that still does this.

My understanding of the original intent of this amendment was to resolve the question of citizenship for former slaves. It was not meant to give citizenship to anyone else -not even native Americans! One part of the amendment was that the person be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. It seems that this part of the amendment was lost somewhere. I am not sure if 'subject to the jurisdiction' means subject to America's laws, or does it mean not owing allegiance to any other nation. Most certainly people who are here illegally are not subject to our draft, nor can they be tried for certain crimes such as treason.

It worries me that birthright citizenship deprives us of our right to determine the demographic future of our country. Also, if the parents are here illegally, will the family fully assimilate into our society? Would the child's allegiance be to the United States, or to their parent's country? (I do not believe in dual citizenship. How can a person be equally loyal to two different countries?)

I do not believe in rewarding bad behavior. Entering our country illegally - bad behavior. I don't believe that anyone who defied the laws of the United States should be allowed to confer the advantages that United States' citizenship brings to their children.

I have read the the children of foreign diplomats born in this country ARE NOT considered citizens - by federal statute. Does this mean Congress can define who is subject to the laws of the United States?

The illegal caravans headed to our country worry me. To put it bluntly - who is going to pay for their support if they succeed in breaking into our country?

Old 11-01-2018, 12:36 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,302,670 times
A lot of it, yes. It definitely needs some serious boundaries. Everyone agrees, nobody disagrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies