Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Identity Politics racism?
liberal: yes, identity politics is often a form of racism. 3 5.08%
iberal: no, it's just another dumb wedge issue that has no impact on race relations. 1 1.69%
iberal: no it's not racism, in fact it is usually just the opposite. 2 3.39%
conservative: yes, identity politics is often a form of racism. 19 32.20%
conservative: no, it's just another dumb wedge issue that has no impact on race relations. 2 3.39%
conservative: no it's not racism, in fact it is usually just the opposite. 1 1.69%
independent: yes, identity politics is often a form of racism. 26 44.07%
independent: no, it's just another dumb wedge issue that has no impact on race relations. 2 3.39%
independent: no it's not racism, in fact it is usually just the opposite. 0 0%
other (please explain below) 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times

Advertisements

First off, 'identity politics' (IDP) means different things to different people. For my purposes, I define it as "political alliance based on race." It could be race, religion, gender, etc., but in US politics, it's usually race, which has proven to be the most effective form. Hillary Clinton, despite massive efforts, achieved only 54% of the female vote; President Obama got over 80% of the non-white vote in 2012.

IDP has become critical for Democrats. Mrs. Clinton said after the 2008 primaries that she would love to get a look at Obama's internal memos, since she believed that IDP was his major strategy.

Danny K. Davis (D, Chicago) summed up the thinking when a Chicago Mayoral contest featured a black candidate, a white candidate, and a Hispanic candidate (all Democrats):
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rahm-e...yoral-campaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by daily beast
Davis said it was “just kind of natural” for people to rally behind a candidate of their own color or ethnicity. He drew an example from his boyhood on a farm in Arkansas. “When I went into the barnyard,” he explained later during an interview, “I never saw a chicken leading a group of turkeys.”
IDP was key in the 2018 midterms. Stacy Abrams said she wanted to build "a coalition that looks like Georgia," pointing out that GA is now majority "people of color." I find no mention of building a coalition that "thinks like GA." Ron Desantis (R,FL) was accused of racism over the word "monkey," (using it in a manner similar to how President Obama has). A GOP candidate was widely accused of racism over using the words "public hanging," despite no context showing that she had racism in mind.

When a candidate makes an appeal to, in essence, "vote your color," or makes a false accusation of racism against an opponent, is this not taking us backwards? Nineteenth century US was IDP to the hilt. Generally only white males could even vote. Do we want to head backwards, to an America where political alignment was a function of race, not of ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM

Interesting note on Robert 'Beto' O'Rourke, who is of Irish ancestry but goes by his Hispanic childhood nickname ('Beto' is short for 'Roberto').
https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...rourke-by-beto

Quote:
the candidate's father, the late Pat O'Rourke, who was elected El Paso's county judge, "once explained why he nicknamed his son "Beto."...If he ever ran for office in El Paso, the odds of being elected in this mostly Mexican-American city were far greater with a name like Beto than Robert Francis O'Rourke.
He changed to 'Robert' for a while as an undergrad at Columbia, but later decided to go back to 'Beto.'

Anyway, now we've got people changing names based on IDP. The link also explains why Ted Cruz changed from his given name of "Raphael," but in his case there was not an IDP angle.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Interesting note on Robert 'Beto' O'Rourke, who is of Irish ancestry but goes by his Hispanic childhood nickname ('Beto' is short for 'Roberto').
https://www.statesman.com/news/20180...rourke-by-beto

He changed to 'Robert' for a while as an undergrad at Columbia, but later decided to go back to 'Beto.'

Anyway, now we've got people changing names based on IDP. The link also explains why Ted Cruz changed from his given name of "Raphael," but in his case there was not an IDP angle.
HAH! It isn't "often a form of racism" it is a form of racism, PERIOD! If a person hates themselves for being white the fact is that they hate white people. THAT is a self-loathing racist.

THAT is absolutely the finest example of rebranding to pander to a minority. He has no business claiming to be, so he implies it subtly. Much like Warren and her teeny tiny drop of first nations blood that's less than most of us have.

How about Rachel Dolezal?

Her 6 figure salary wasn't enough. A white professor claiming to be black and now She has been charged with welfare fraud.

Once a liar

I am so sick of the degrading values in this country.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
What's the difference between ethnostate nationalism and identity politics?

Liberals would say the former is racism. What about the latter?

Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Is the term "separatist" what you are looking for - with regards to identity politics?

Race is a subset... sexism a subset... feminism a subset...

Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM

While we're on this topic can we address the term 'people of color?' It divides the world into 'white' and 'everybody else,' implying that white is somehow special. How is that not raaaaacist? I listen to NPR a lot and hear this phrase used all the time. I think it is probably the single most 2 word combo used on NPR. I cringe each time I hear it.

Who even knows how it's defined? Are Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio 'people of color?' Is Cameron Diaz? Is my Palestinian buddy, whose skin is as pale as any Scandinavian, a 'person of color?'

Media got all confused when George Zimmerman came along. The NYT had to make up a new term for him: "white Hispanic," (even though he was partly of African ancestry).

Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
While we're on this topic can we address the term 'people of color?' It divides the world into 'white' and 'everybody else,' implying that white is somehow special. How is that not raaaaacist? I listen to NPR a lot and hear this phrase used all the time. I think it is probably the single most 2 word combo used on NPR. I cringe each time I hear it.

Who even knows how it's defined? Are Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio 'people of color?' Is Cameron Diaz? Is my Palestinian buddy, whose skin is as pale as any Scandinavian, a 'person of color?'

Media got all confused when George Zimmerman came along. The NYT had to make up a new term for him: "white Hispanic," (even though he was partly of African ancestry).
First, "people of color" is three words.

Second, for like the millionth time, hispanic is not a race, its an ethnicity. One of my students was born and raised in Argentina, to Israeli parents. That makes him a hispanic, jewish, white guy. Hispanic is part of his ethnicity, jewish is his religion, and white is his race. There are lots of white hispanic people, there are lots of black hispanic people, because it is not a race. So with regards to Ted, Carmen and Marco, no most people of cuban descent identify as white when it comes to their race but that does not mean they are not also hispanic. As for George Zimmerman he is ethnically hispanic, and it appears he is multiracial (though mostly white) when it comes to his race. So what?

Third, racist has a specific meaning, and it is not simply mentioning race. So no the term "person of color" is not racist. Now if you combined it with something stereotypical and or insulting and applied that to all "people of color" than yes that would be racist. Is that what you are claiming NPR did?

Finally, in your poll what does the "opposite of racism" mean?

Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
First, "people of color" is three words.

Second, for like the millionth time, hispanic is not a race, its an ethnicity. One of my students was born and raised in Argentina, to Israeli parents. That makes him a hispanic, jewish, white guy. Hispanic is part of his ethnicity, jewish is his religion, and white is his race. There are lots of white hispanic people, there are lots of black hispanic people, because it is not a race. So with regards to Ted, Carmen and Marco, no most people of cuban descent identify as white when it comes to their race but that does not mean they are not also hispanic. As for George Zimmerman he is ethnically hispanic, and it appears he is multiracial (though mostly white) when it comes to his race. So what?

Third, racist has a specific meaning, and it is not simply mentioning race. So no the term "person of color" is not racist. Now if you combined it with something stereotypical and or insulting and applied that to all "people of color" than yes that would be racist. Is that what you are claiming NPR did?

Finally, in your poll what does the "opposite of racism" mean?
That's a lot of words to say basically that no, you can't define the phrase 'people of color' either. If the phrase divides the world into 'white' and 'all others,' implicitly white must be somehow special, and set apart. How is that not racism? If not on the basis of racism, on what basis do we divide the world into 'white' and 'all others?'

Opposite of racism--just for those who might argue that identity politics is 'anti-racism.' I always put in the 'other' option for those who don't quite like any of the choices.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
The best definitions of "racism" include both a focus on one's own race and hostility toward outgroups. So yes, identity politics is clearly racist.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
OP mentions only the Democrats and fails to mention that Trump's entire campaign was based on identity politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies