Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 10:58 AM

39,333 posts, read 27,718,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
No, the "attitude" was posited in your initial post with the snarky "Who is he then?" when we are discussing his absence at yesterday's American Cemetery at Aisne Marne long planned ceremony as the only missing national leader.

Because "it was raining."
That is what YOU thought. I NEVER meant to be snarky.
But feel free to pretend you know me better than I know myself.

If I wanted to be snarky, I would've admitted it, (I have apologized many times in this forum by the way, and I don't mind admitting I was wrong.) but if I didn't mean to be snarky, I certainly won't admit it.

I simply didn't know why people kept on saying the ceremony was cancelled. sheesh

Old 11-11-2018, 10:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,935,341 times
And Trump just couldn't leave that ubiquitous, loud, too-long gaudy red tie in the suitcase and wear something more tasteful and appropriate for the occasion, could he?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:03 AM

5,261 posts, read 3,627,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I simply didn't know why people kept on saying the ceremony was cancelled. sheesh
Who said the ceremony was cancelled? The ceremony at the American Cemetery was held without the American President present.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Who said the ceremony was cancelled? The ceremony at the American Cemetery was held without the American President present.
The thread: Trump cancelled ww1 ceremony. I simply did not know why people kept on saying the ceremony was cancelled. That is all.

Now feel free to argue with somebody else. My question is certainly answered. sheesh. I apologize for commenting too soon, (should've read the entire thread before commenting ) for that, I sincerely apologize. Oh my!

Old 11-11-2018, 11:06 AM

10,868 posts, read 4,399,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Every other world leader was present except for ours. There is zero excuse for what Trump did on the world stage. He should just stay at home let real leaders handle world affairs. How can anyone excuse this behavior is beyond me.
Those "real leaders" are just figureheads and sheep compared to Trump.
Attending ceremonies is all they're good for.
Trump is the opposite of a sheep.
None of those world leaders have impacted the world as much as Trump.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 AM

5,261 posts, read 3,627,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The thread: Trump cancelled ww1 ceremony. I simply did not know why people kept on saying the ceremony was cancelled. That is all.

Ah, I see. The thread title is ambiguous & can be read 2 ways & you posted on that, no problem... nothing personal meant.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,612,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Trudeau has got so much Class! “As we sit here in the rain, thinking how uncomfortable we must be these minutes as our suits get wet, and our hair gets wet...it’s all the more fitting that we remember on that day in Dieppe the rain wasn’t rain, it was bullets.”
Trudeau DOES represent Canada well on the world stage.

Internally? Many of us can't wait to get rid of him. But many of us also give credit where credit is due, and he honorably serves us well internationally.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:17 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,360,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That's nothing compared to when Obama unnecessarily shut down and barricaded veteran memorials just to spite the Republicans. Of course, the media acted like it was no big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqwQFBcuu8
This is the type of post that makes this thread interesting. The Obama Administration shut down all national parks and monuments on a nationwide basis during the budget showdown - not just the veteran memorials on the national mall. In DC, the entire national mall, including museums was closed. Did it have to be? Maybe not. No doubt there was political posturing in play - but that posturing did not focus solely on the military nor veterans nor war dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vices-affected

But someone took the time to put together your youtube video that took that slant. In this instance, Trump only missed an event connected to the American dead. He made it to France ... he made it to the meetings ... to the dinners ... to today's joint ceremony.

Is the military (and those who lost their lives) important and deserving of respect or is it not? You can't have it both ways. Cherrypick an event connected to Obama where there actually was a much larger issue in play and use that to excuse or overlook a Trumpian decision.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see. The thread title is ambiguous & can be read 2 ways & you posted on that, no problem... nothing personal meant.
Okay Thank you

Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,305,764 times
Quote:
The ceremony was commemorating the Battle of Belleau, which shaped a new Marine Corp. Trump should have attended.

I thought the reason he skipped it is because of his hair and makeup. He apparently didn't even come up with an excuse.

“It’s incredible that a president would travel to France for this significant anniversary — and then remain in his room watching TV rather than pay in person his respects to the Americans who gave their lives in France for the victory gained 100 years ago tomorrow,” David Frum, who served as a speechwriter to President George W. Bush...

...“There is always a rain option. Always,”... “Trump will use the U.S. military for a pre election political stunt but sits in his hotel instead of honoring those who fought and died for America...”

...“Real low energy, @realDonaldTrump to not bother to honor the sacrifice of American soldiers in WWI due to some rain. Somehow everyone else was able to do so today. Obama never had this problem. He also visited our troops in war zones,” Kelly Magsamen, who served as a high-ranking Pentagon official on Asia affairs, wrote on Twitter... "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.64af7115e097

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b59b9d9e2f58
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies