Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 07:03 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Name ALL those Dixiecrats! I can only find 2.
Jesse Helms & Strom Thurmond.
Jesse Helms was never a Dixiecrat. He might have been racist.

There was a Congressman that switched but he wasn't a big name.

It seems like if there was a big switch after 1964, the racist voters would have been folowing the segregationist politicians lead. That can't be the case if only two switched.

If Robert Byrd and Al Gore SR didn't switch, why would most white racists. Byrd and Gore filibustered the civil rights act. Are we supposed to believe white racists did not know this.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nope... Economic Freedom outsells the perpetual Plantation of victimhood. A hand up, runs circles around the handout LBJ promised, to keep them on the Plantation for 200 years.
I agree. The democrats simply changed their rhetoric from calling blacks inferior to pretending to be the benevolent party that understands the plight of black people and tells then they can't possibly succeed unless their all knowing and benevolent democrat party helps them. Which is code for you aren't smart enough or strong enough to do anything on your own.

The lure of handouts is a powerful bait. Plenty of whites love their free handouts too. What amazes me is that any working class American believes that either party gives a damn about middle-class Americans.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM

If you look at how many white Democrats treat Candace Owens and other black conservatives, you can see there is only tolerance for black people who agree with them.

I've seen liberals on here call Candace a 'grifter'.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
In NC, the number of days to vote was reduced from 17 to 10.

I don't see how it is unreasonable to expect people to be able to vote within 10 days. That's doesn't sound like oppression and voter suppression to me. We used to vote on one day only.

You can get a free photo ID in NC.

You can't prevent voter fraud without requiring photo ID, but you and other Democrats don't mind voter fraud because you think most voter fraud will be done by people supporting Democrats than Republicans.

You are indirectly admitting that you think Republicans have more integrity than Democrats if you don't support photo ID to prevent voter fraud.
I want to point out that you are disagreeing with a Supreme Court decision that determined that the NC law did target black voters.

It does seem like NC did a good thing when providing free IDs. Except (from the Supreme Court decision):

Quote:
Review of the record further undermines the contention that the exclusions are tied to concerns of voter fraud. This is so because voters who lack qualifying ID under SL 2013-381 may apply for a free voter card using two of the very same forms of ID excluded by the law. See N.C. State Conf., 2016 WL 1650774, at *26. Thus, forms of state-issued IDs the General Assembly deemed insufficient to prove a voter’s identity on Election Day are sufficient if shown during a separate process to a separate state official. In this way, SL 2013-381 elevates form over function, creating hoops through which certain citizens must jump with little discernable gain in deterrence of voter fraud.
The state required 2 forms of ID that were not accepted at the polls in order to get an ID that was accepted at the polls. For example, a person could use a prison ID and a college ID to obtain a voter ID, even though those forms of ID were not accepted at the polls. So they were just creating additional hoops for a person to jump through in order to vote. A fraudulent voter with 2 of those IDs would be still be able to register.

Then you tried to claim that the only reason that the Dems want to avoid voter IDs is because they want illegals to vote. Nowhere in my posts does it say that. In fact, I specifically stated I would be for voter ID if it was implemented correctly: no cost to citizens and in a non-discriminatory fashion. This did not happen in NC.

You have also redefined voter suppression by stating that reducing early voting by a week does not count, even though research shows that more minorities tend to vote during early voting than whites. They also tend to vote more on weekends and there have been churches who create programs allowing more minorities to vote. Voting should be encouraged, and expanding the length of time someone is able to vote benefits all citizens.

The voter ID laws in NC did not apply to mail-in ballots which are mostly submitted by... white voters and Republicans.

Voter fraud has been shown to occur very rarely. It's mostly just a dog whistle for right wingers.

Again, if voter ID laws were enforced fairly (which includes absentee voting) and voter IDs were provided fairly free of charge, most Dems would be for it. Reps have not shown that this is what they intend to do.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I want to point out that you are disagreeing with a Supreme Court decision that determined that the NC law did target black voters.

It does seem like NC did a good thing when providing free IDs. Except (from the Supreme Court decision):

The state required 2 forms of ID that were not accepted at the polls in order to get an ID that was accepted at the polls. For example, a person could use a prison ID and a college ID to obtain a voter ID, even though those forms of ID were not accepted at the polls. So they were just creating additional hoops for a person to jump through in order to vote. A fraudulent voter with 2 of those IDs would be still be able to register.

Then you tried to claim that the only reason that the Dems want to avoid voter IDs is because they want illegals to vote. Nowhere in my posts does it say that. In fact, I specifically stated I would be for voter ID if it was implemented correctly: no cost to citizens and in a non-discriminatory fashion. This did not happen in NC.

You have also redefined voter suppression by stating that reducing early voting by a week does not count, even though research shows that more minorities tend to vote during early voting than whites. They also tend to vote more on weekends and there have been churches who create programs allowing more minorities to vote. Voting should be encouraged, and expanding the length of time someone is able to vote benefits all citizens.

The voter ID laws in NC did not apply to mail-in ballots which are mostly submitted by... white voters and Republicans.

Voter fraud has been shown to occur very rarely. It's mostly just a dog whistle for right wingers.

Again, if voter ID laws were enforced fairly (which includes absentee voting) and voter IDs were provided fairly free of charge, most Dems would be for it. Reps have not shown that this is what they intend to do.
Ah yes, there's the dog whistle rhetoric again. You should work in gas lighting too. Requiring a photo ID to vote is literally just like slavery, segregation, lynching, KKK. It is so oppressive.

I don't think a disagreement on how our elections is set up is proof of racism. You got yourself a mighty fancy mind reading machine there, partisan liberal Democrat.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-23-2019 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 07:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
#WalkAway must be the Big Switch 2.0

Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
The Big Switch to Democrat, started with the New Deal for Minorities.
Reliance on Government began.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 PM

There have been judges that have said voter id laws are constitional, including one in Indiana.

Citing some Democrat judges who rule your way isn't evidence that voter id laws are racist.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
no, been about the same

Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 PM

Here's a post that I made about the NC election law a couple of years ago:

The NC law would have allowed two Saturdays and a Sunday. 10 days total. you said this is voter suppression.

Sunday voting unfairly favors the Democrat party because a much larger number of black people than whites vote on that day. So if an early voting period has two sundays, Democrats have been given a big advantage across the early voting period.

All you have to do is consider this situation in reverse. Let's say white people voted significantly more than black people on Sunday and Republicans advocated for more Sundays in an early voting period. Liberals would, correctly, argue this is disfranchising black voters.

It makes sense to have days where the voting is roughly balanced between the parties. The GOP stance isn't about race, it is about the advantage the party has on Sundays compared to other days. If they are white Democrats or black Democrats, it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies