Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:08 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This strikes me as a completely fabricated story - racist BS. Do any non-white women here have childhood memories of being teased by blonde white women about their hair?

https://people.com/movies/jada-pinke...gle-with-bias/
So it's okay to be triggered by hair and skin colour as long as you are liberal.

I think she needs to look up some words in the dictionary stating with sterotyping, as I am sure she would be equally triggered if someone said the same thing about black women with black hair and would no doubt label them sexist and racist in such circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 05:37 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry but everyone has a sob story (similar to the story about the girl who bullied you who had breast cancer - because of my experiences, I was and still am not ever mean or judgmental of other people based on how they look or how much money they have in particular - I don't do that because that's not a good thing to do. I've been hurt by others and so I don't want to purposefully hurt other people. Anyone who does IMO, I don't have a lot of respect for them - I'll be nice to them but I will also be blunt and say something. When I was a kid I would beat them up if they didn't stop after I warned them I'd beat them up if they didn't stop - note those girls didn't pick on me after 4th grade because I beat the crap out of their "leader" for teasing me - after I told her if she did again, I'd beat the crap out of her). I had it worse than those girls did and I grew up in what we consider a "big small town" basically a mid-sized city but everyone knows someone in every family. I'm glad that those girls who picked on my nerdy friends in particular now make $10 an hour and suffer financially and can't buy all the brands/things that they teased other kids about.

I'm older now and don't really even think about these people unless the subject comes up or if I see them. And I did see one mopping floors at a local hospital who was embarrassed to see me visiting a relative there and seeing her since she was the worse bully in our junior high. I was very nice to her but in my mind I was happy she was embarrassed and happy that she mops floor for a living. Some people need to be knocked down a peg to learn not to be a$$holes.

The few girls in my high school who got in fights were pretty low class, no one in my circle would have dreamed of “beating the crap” out of someone. That shows no self respect. It’s also not very nice to look down on someone for mopping floors for a living.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry but everyone has a sob story (similar to the story about the girl who bullied you who had breast cancer - because of my experiences, I was and still am not ever mean or judgmental of other people based on how they look or how much money they have in particular - I don't do that because that's not a good thing to do. I've been hurt by others and so I don't want to purposefully hurt other people. Anyone who does IMO, I don't have a lot of respect for them - I'll be nice to them but I will also be blunt and say something. When I was a kid I would beat them up if they didn't stop after I warned them I'd beat them up if they didn't stop - note those girls didn't pick on me after 4th grade because I beat the crap out of their "leader" for teasing me - after I told her if she did again, I'd beat the crap out of her). I had it worse than those girls did and I grew up in what we consider a "big small town" basically a mid-sized city but everyone knows someone in every family. I'm glad that those girls who picked on my nerdy friends in particular now make $10 an hour and suffer financially and can't buy all the brands/things that they teased other kids about.

I'm older now and don't really even think about these people unless the subject comes up or if I see them. And I did see one mopping floors at a local hospital who was embarrassed to see me visiting a relative there and seeing her since she was the worse bully in our junior high. I was very nice to her but in my mind I was happy she was embarrassed and happy that she mops floor for a living. Some people need to be knocked down a peg to learn not to be a$$holes.
well, forgiveness is for us, not for them. Sure, some people need to be knocked down a peg to learn not to be jerks, I totally agree, but sometimes, knowing their story HELPS YOU (the general term) to move on. I learned the overweight girl who bullied me had a tough childhood. This doesn't mean she gets to be a jerk, but this explains her behavior. Whatever tormenting her is something she has to endure herself. That is ALL I am saying.

Earlier in your post, you said

"I take comfort in seeing them working as gas station attendants and CNAs today and cleaning floors in hospitals (I've seen 3 of them at these particular types of jobs and it gave me pleasure to see them being at the bottom of the totem pole at organizations due to how horrible they treated people when we were younger - I figure that's what they get"

I have to admit it is pretty shocking to read these words. It looks like you look down on people who clean hospital floors for a living.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
So her past experience is justification for her racism? I have relatives who were regularly beaten on the school bus because they had white skin and white hair while manority of other students and driver were all black. They still hold racist sentiments from those years on the bus. Are they justified in their feelings?

Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Seems like this thread belongs elsewhere.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:48 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So it's okay to be triggered by hair and skin colour as long as you are liberal.

I think she needs to look up some words in the dictionary stating with sterotyping, as I am sure she would be equally triggered if someone said the same thing about black women with black hair and would no doubt label them sexist and racist in such circumstances.
And that was her point. That it's just as wrong for her to do this as it is when others do it about black people.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Seems like this thread belongs elsewhere.
Truth be told, some threads are blurred between belonging in this sub-forum section and the "Great Debates" section.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:17 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Blonde hair on white women? Going to Sweden would render her positively apoplectic

Old 11-17-2018, 10:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I dont think you read the full rticle.

And I was like, ‘Oh! That’s no different.’ That doesn’t give me the right to clump all blonde women in one,” she continued. “And look at me, I got blonde hair! It’s no different than you getting robbed by a black guy once and now you’re saying all black dudes are thieves and dangerous.”

She doesn't act on it and catches herself. Good for her. Almost all of us have our prejudices and often enough it's knee jerk, but we don't act on it.

She finally sees the light. It's good when we recognize our own prejudices.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:52 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The few girls in my high school who got in fights were pretty low class, no one in my circle would have dreamed of “beating the crap” out of someone. That shows no self respect. It’s also not very nice to look down on someone for mopping floors for a living.
Well I grew up in the hood. If someone f**ks with you, you beat the crap out of them and they'd stop. That's one of the reasons why kids killed themselves less often in the past IMO - because you were told by your parents not to let people f**k with you. I took that to heart and what I did at 9 years old to those girls lasted until we graduated high school and they knew better than to mess with me or my friends after 8th grade.

And I didn't look down on her for mopping floors. She looked down on others when we were in school for not having expensive clothes. I was happy that now she knows what it's like to not be able to afford expensive things too. You reap what you sow and karma is the best pay back.

Also, I said I beat the crap out of them in elementary school, not high school. By high school all the girls and even most of the guys (because I had a step family who were gang related who if I was bothered they were those "low class" types you mentioned and they liked to fight people lol and would do so for me) they didn't bother me. I never got into a fight in high school. I graduated high school with a 4.63 GPA and I got a scholarship to college and left my hometown. So for a "low class" girl, I think I did pretty well for myself. Note - those bullying girls also through I was low class. They are in a lower income class than I am today. So if you think that of me I'd find it amusing but I and many members of my extended family do jokingly call me "bou-ghetto" meaning I'm part bourgoisie (of the black American variety) and part ghetto. This was made popular by one of those Housewives shows - I think the Atlanta one. Even though it is jokingly, I do feel that I am part bourgoisie and part ghetto lol. Only way I'd fight today is if someone messes with my kid (an adult). To this day too if someone bullies one of my kids - because my kids are Gen Z and they are nice and not all ghetto like their mom in mindset - I would have one of my rougher little family members kick a kid's ass over my kid if I felt it was warranted. And you may think that's low class, but they wouldn't mess with my kid again and I'd be fine about it.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 11-18-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies