Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 08:47 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
MOST good reporters learned their trade "on the street" by WORKING IN IT NOT from some liberal professor who probably was NEVER a REAL reporter.
Two things:

One, the industry has changed since Walter Cronkite made a name for himself on radio during World War II. It's hard to get very far in the news biz today without a degree of any kind; a degree in journalism

Second, of all the journalism instructors I had in college, only one was squarely liberal (she used to get us in so much trouble with the school's administration! Ah ... good times). The others were pretty darn conservative, mostly from small Midwestern towns who'd attended small, conservative colleges and worked for conservative newspapers before leaving the biz to teach.

Actually that would be the third thing: My journalism instructors had careers in the field. Every single one of them.

Perhaps that's changed since I was in college, but some of those instructors are still teaching journalism ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 01:34 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So you have to have a degree in journalism in order to be a "real" journalist. Interesting theory, can you back it up? You're saying that a piece of paper from the right people makes you a "real" journalist. Really? Sounds like a whole lot of elitist nonsense to me. A high school dropout can report the news and by reporting the news, they become a journalist by definition.

But maybe you believe that a university degree makes them better people. Kinda like how Lords and Ladies in old school Europe saw themselves as better than "those filthy peasants." A university degree is a fine achievement but it doesn't magically make them a special elitist class of human beings.

A college degree in journalism simply means you have likely been sufficiently indoctrinated to promote the liberal ideology, and can slant the news to reflect, said liberal ideology.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:38 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Peter Jennings started in radio broadcast at 9 years of age because his father was a Radio Broadcaster. He had connections.

https://www.neatorama.com/2009/10/13...hool-dropouts/

Peter Jennings started broadcasting when he was only nine years old. He followed the footsteps of his father, a respected radio broadcaster for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, and operated as the host of a CBC children’s program called “Peter’s People.” Surprisingly, his father was out on assignment when Jennings was chosen for the gig and he was furious at the network for hiring his son solely because he was the son of a broadcaster.

I'm sure he has an honorary degree in journalism, somewhere.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
I think they teach journalists how to keep control of the mic when someone is trying to take it away. Seriously. This is because reporters on the street have to deal with people that might walk away with the mic or someone in a crowd grab the mic and start talking and talking and talking and then the reporter has lost control. So they teach them early on how to stay in control of the mic.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:19 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
He was back in the White House press briefing, and asking questions. Sarah Sanders took a question from him(Acosta) today. Some on here said he would never see the inside of the press room again, I guess they were wrong.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have said it before, and I will continue to say it:
trump should re-instate acosta.
Then acosta should be seated in the back of the room. He should NEVER be given a microphone again. He should never be called upon to ask a question. He should never be responded to in any way, not even if his shirt is on fire. ALL CNN flaks should join him in the back row. If any of them stands up before the press conference is finished, they should be told by the Secret Service to "Sit down and shut up or leave the room!"
No, I do not believe the President (or anybody else) has any duty under the Constitution or any of the Amendments to recognize their existence in any way.
That didn't happen, he was on the front row today and Sanders took a question from him.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 4,353,901 times
Acosta broke the rules today, so the White House can ban him again-
Quote:
To coincide with Acosta being allowed to return to the White House, Sanders implemented a series of rules that will govern White House press conferences going forward. Journalists are now only permitted to ask one question and must yield the floor to another reporter unless a follow-up question is granted. However, a handful of reporters – including Acosta -- politely asked multiple questions during Tuesday’s press briefing.

While Acosta appeared to technically violate the rules that were put in place as a result of his actions, Sanders didn’t call him out and answered his second and third questions.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cnn...-temporary-ban

Old 11-27-2018, 04:00 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Acosta broke the rules today, so the White House can ban him again-

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cnn...-temporary-ban
Seems like a good way for the White House to lose another lawsuit.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:02 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That didn't happen, he was on the front row today and Sanders took a question from him.

I said that is what SHOULD happen, not that it would happen.
However, if I were President or Press Secretary, that is definitely what would happen. No way would I put up with him or anybody like him.
But then, it is wll known that I am an ornery, narrow minded old furt. Hmmm... I wonder, can I type "fart" on here?
Apparently, it is acceptable. OK, forget "furt".

Old 11-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Acosta will have a new role as The Invisible Man.
This didn't happen either, he was on the front row as usual, and Sanders called on him for a question.

Last edited by ipaper; 11-27-2018 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies