Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I suggest you read the article. It does not say what you think it does. Also, this is on SNAP only.

I suspect many of posters here are on some type of assistance but do not understand that it is from the federal government and paid for by the high GDP Democratic run areas. Remember the Tea Party sign that read something to the effect of, "Take your government hands out of my Medicare." Life is much easier when one is informed. Good luck.
It says exactly what it says. More Democrats take welfare. That's what my post is about. Takers who paid NOTHING in at all.

Quote:
Of these, about one-in-five (22%) of Democrats say they had received food stamps compared with 10% of Republicans. About 17% of political independents say they have received food stamps.

Then even more Democrats live with someone who does:

Quote:
The share of food stamp beneficiaries swells even further when respondents are asked if someone else living in their household had ever received food stamps. According to the survey, about three in ten Democrats (31%) and about half as many Republicans (17%) say they or someone in their household has benefitted from the food stamp program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It says exactly what it says. More Democrats take welfare. That's what my post is about. Takers who paid NOTHING in at all.

Then even more Democrats live with someone who does:
Except of course it's not what it says.

It says a higher percentage of Democrats - meaning more Democrats out of the total number of Democrats, not more Democrats out of the total number of people.

And interestingly

Quote:
But when the political lens shifts from partisanship to ideology, the participation gap vanishes. Self-described political conservatives were no more likely than liberals or moderates to have received food stamps (17% for each group), according to the survey.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:44 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Republican areas represent most of food production in America. Republicans represent the sustenance of America.

See i can sound like a moron too

Old 11-16-2018, 01:58 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
To people talking about tax cuts...

I have been a lower to middle class parent for most of my adult life. I have always prepared my own taxes (I'm an accounting nerd, it's kind of my thing.) I seem to recall that George W. Bush did something at one point that dramatically increased my refund. Checking Google shows there was a "stimulus" in 2008 but that isn't what I am remembering. There was something before that with rebate checks that were significant. He made a difference that was real in my own household.

I don't have useful data for the Obama years because I legally married in 2007 which completely changed my tax situation (for the worse, dramatically) and my ex was in the military so our income and taxes were atypical for the sort of income and all that we had at other times.

When I got divorced, I found to my surprise that my income is high enough now that the refunds I used to enjoy as a Head of Household filer back before I got married, are no longer going to happen. My tax bill is a good deal heftier. Since Trump took office, it has gone UP, not down. And despite people saying he's oh so good for business, my (well diversified) investments have not been performing particularly well, especially in recent months. I have yet to see any increase in supposed prosperity. And there are more and more homeless here in my town all the time.

I am always skeptical of statistics, well aware they can be gathered, reported, and skewed to support almost anything. But I have eyes in my head to see what happens around me, though.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Republican areas represent most of food production in America. Republicans represent the sustenance of America.

See i can sound like a moron too
Yep, it is pretty moronic to compare a fake, pulled out of your butt, claim, to one with actual statistics and sourcing.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
I agree with Math, the study is skewed to infer that everyone within the blue state district is equally in support from the same party. The Dog walker and the CEO are weighted just the same, when in fact there are probably more dog walkers than CEOs to make a state blue. Emm's argument is that the probability is more likely that both the CEO and the dog walker vote both the same.

But I'm not so sure about that, being that just about every study shows that the highest income earners percentage of voters vote Republican according to the exit polls.If you make the correlation that the highest income earners generate the greatest percentage of productivity, then it's easy to conclude that most of AMerica's productivity comes from red voters, rather than blue voters making whatever district they are from irrelevant.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Default Red State Takers/Blue State Makers

I'm sure this has come up in this forum.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/15/char...ft-behind.html

But this CNBC article highlights a Brookings Institution report that confirms what many of us have been trying to say. The Blue States have been subsidizing the Red States and it is time for the Red States to embrace policies that will properly educate its kids and prepare them for a 21st Century economy and further to have policies in place that will attract and retain talent.

"Now, new Brookings calculations show the same from 2018 House elections. With a few races still undecided, districts won by Democrats account for 61 percent of America's gross domestic product, districts won by Republicans 38 percent."

Last edited by strawflower; 11-16-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Are you denying that these districts are not majority Democratic??? Of course the chances of all those types of workers being Democrat is higher. That does not mean all share a collective political viewpoint. Let's say there are 100 people in a district and 10 of them are Republican and 90 are Democrat. How would you categorize this scenario? Is this a Democratic voting block or a Republican voting bloc? If you cannot answer this question then I do not understand your logic.
Here, let's make this simple.

You have 90% democratic area.

You meet a 60yo white guy that owns a factory that employs a 100 $12/hour black people and you can't grasp whom some the 10% might be? Really?

You just assume that everyone in the area, regardless of race, gender, income level etc. has ZERO correlation to how they vote? We just got done with elections that show how different ages, genders and races vote differently and yet you're questioning that we can't assume that they're not uniform?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Putting it another way, 39% were won by Republicans - Trumps approval is 42%, so the figures somewhat jive.

It goes without saying that liberals create more wealth in the aggregate. For example, well less than 10% of Scientists ID as Republican!

Scientists create a lot of the modern world and make a decent living doing so.

I think a BIG difference also is the type of wealth created. While a liberal might create a company which makes things more efficient and productive (example), a lot of Republican money comes from resource extraction and refinement of same.

While we need all for a decent economy, it is telling about who innovates and who just...excavates!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, it is pretty moronic to compare a fake, pulled out of your butt, claim, to one with actual statistics and sourcing.
I believe what you fail to recognize is this country isn't actually built by the rich or well to do. The sad truth is these statistics represent an illusion. One which you seem quite happy to perpetuate. You see, that lower half of the GDP are going to be the people who actually build and maintain this country. The people who build your homes and hospitals, the people who grow and prepare your food, the people who often care for your children. It doesn't matter how much of the money and power is concentrated in a certain area. What matters is for all that money, they'd have nothing without the people on the lower end of the spectrum taking care of them. And there are far more people responsible for the real work in this country than those who sit behind a computer all day long or perform other menial tasks which produce nothing of substance. And thankfully, their vote counts just as much as the votes of the more "well to do" citizens of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies