Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:10 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times

Advertisements

The UK still ranks higher than the U.S. in terms of education. So perhaps spend less time criticizing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Here is another UK story from years ago.

Stereotypical millennials always need to be rewarded for their accomplishments whether or not they actually accomplished anything. Now, one school is taking this to heart by banning red ink. At an academy in the U.K. county of Cornwall, teachers have been instructed not to grade papers in red pen because it is a “very negative color"

U.K. School Bans Red Ink for Corrections Because It's Too Mean | Time
Acadamies have their own policies but must adhere to school inspection bodies such as OFSTED, there are tens of thousands of schools in the UK and to be honest the different coloured marking and feedback was something that has previously been debated.

Why teachers are seeing red (and green and purple and pink) over marking - The Guardian

What really matters in the UK are test and exam results as they really matter to each school's future and indeed it's grading by OFSTED and there are massive pressures on UK schools to do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The article rather bizarrely shows a picture of the University of Leeds, which has an enrollment of 32,000 and is a large 'Russell Group University', the other major University in Ledds is Leeds Beckett which has an enrollment of over 26,000.

I think few people have even heard of Leeds Trinity which is in Horsforth and not Leeds and has an enrollment of 3,600.

even had to look up Leeds Trinity and it turns out it was previously known as Leeds Trinity & All Saints, the institution became a university college in 2009 after gaining the right to award its own degrees, and was granted full university status in December 2012. The university is a member of the Cathedrals Group and the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities.

So it's not really at the cutting edge of UK Higher Education, although I think the move to remove capital letters is total nonsense, but sadly there are a lot of left wing trouble makers, equality officers and lots of other nonsense in many Universities across the world.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-20-2018 at 02:35 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 03:02 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Here is another UK story from years ago.

Stereotypical millennials always need to be rewarded for their accomplishments whether or not they actually accomplished anything. Now, one school is taking this to heart by banning red ink. At an academy in the U.K. county of Cornwall, teachers have been instructed not to grade papers in red pen because it is a “very negative color"

U.K. School Bans Red Ink for Corrections Because It's Too Mean | Time

Oh yes, red ink is a negative color! Bad, really BAD!

I hated history all throughout my school years. I rebelled in the fall of 8th grade and decided I did not need to learn the subject that year. Of course, my grade reflected my lack of effort. I got a BIG E for the semester. Only class I ever failed.

I guess it made an impression.

This NO CAPITALS idea is just as wacky as they get.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:32 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
I hear they banned the following because it's now a micro-aggression...

(Shout out to my fellow Gen X'ers)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QMxkevtel-k

Old 11-20-2018, 06:13 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
The most fragile and brainwashed generation is upon us. Scary times are ahead as these dummies actually think they are intelligent and are future leaders.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:15 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The UK still ranks higher than the U.S. in terms of education. So perhaps spend less time criticizing them.
Insanity such as what is going on in the world deserves nothing more than laughter and ridicule.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
On the flip side, a vice-chancellor at another British university is calling on parents to back off and let their kids grow up...

Don't Make Their GP Appointments, Don't Manage Their Money

I guess it's time for the generation-bashing to kick up again.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:02 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
If only that meant their methods were superior

Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Surely that's EXACTLY what the stats suggest no? Or does producing under performing students = a superior system? (Personally I think this whole thread is nonsense) but how anybody can argue that something that produces 'worse' results is the BETTER system is like trying to argue that white is black or that an armed population is a good idea! :-)

Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Surely that's EXACTLY what the stats suggest no? Or does producing under performing students = a superior system? (Personally I think this whole thread is nonsense) but how anybody can argue that something that produces 'worse' results is the BETTER system is like trying to argue that white is black or that an armed population is a good idea! :-)
They track, we don't. The education systems in the UK and US are not nearly able to be compared on a straight line basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies