Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Will note that this sort of scenario from the study is not the same thing as "code switching" since the white liberal is not a member per se of the group that they are speaking to in regards to the study.

Also speaking another language or a pidgin language with friends/family or people you know are of said community is not the same since, again, the white liberal is not a part of those communities for the most part.

I do think it has to do with white liberals viewing black people as dumber than white people. I've mentioned it to friends I know IRL in regards to events I've been to where I've noticed this.

I'll also note that a large amount of white conservatives also believe that black people are primarily dumb. They are the main ones who always want to "educate" me on Lincoln being a Republican (lol) as if I hadn't learned that in elementary school. I've also had people argue with me on this very forum who were self proclaimed republicans/conservatives about the fact that I'm not a "typical" black person in regards to me working and making a decent income and knowing how to write a sentence.

The stereotype of blacks being intellectually inferior has been in this nation since really the 1600s. It is not based on IQ scores or statistics. It's based in racism as it predates IQ scores and/or statistics. Specific tests and statistics have always been used by racist to make excuses for their racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
might be completely off in this, but couldn't this be a case of blue collar vs. white collar audiences, and race is factored in as an afterthought. If the audience their speaking too is perceived to be less educated it could trend to be more minority dominated audiences than normal, i'll be surprised if most politicians outside of maybe Pres. Trump, didn't talk differently about issues when talking to Coal Miners, versus Greenwich, Connecticut living bankers. The only situation I've been in were this or anything close to it has happened is when my family visit's England my brother take's on the accent of a British Roadman even though he has spent a year max in that country. Or in pickup basketball people of all races including me have donned a fake AA accent (Not Ebonics/ but general slang) when talking trash, I don't even purposefully think about it though. I doubt the people I play with think about it either. I'm not sure if you could call increase use of slang "dumbing down" tough.

On the bold, depends on the person you are playing with. I'll note that I personally do feel that many people in the black immigrant community buy into stereotypes of black Americans and they also caricature us same as ignorant whites and others do. Just like black Americans shouldn't be acting like all Africans live in huts or speak in a dumb African accent, I don't like African immigrants caricaturing us either. I have many black American friends and family members I've personally had to tell to stop caricaturing Africans and West Indians in particular. It is not necessary and only promotes stereotypes. Some people are okay with this because they don't think about these things from an historical and cultural perspective and I realize that. But I'm note one of those people and I don't like my people being caricatured, nor any others as contrary to what many people believe, stereotypes are not based in truth, for black Americans, they are based in a racist white supremacist ideological worldview. I know that goes over some people's heads and of course you may not think about this during a basketball game, but for me, seeing people "act" in a stereotypical way and especially attempting to "act like" black Americans, it is disrespectful to us as too many people already feel that we are some ignorant, angry stereotype and those pervasive stereotypes are the reason why we still deal with the remnants of racist ideas about our demographic.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
African Americans are politically on the left and will continue to vote for Democrats. Accept this fact and move on. Stop acting as if this is a fact that you can’t live with because you can and will live with it no matter how much it displeases you personally.

Pretending to care about liberal communication styles appertaining to African Americans and low key belittling black folks for being Democrats (what this thread is ACTUALLY about) isn’t gonna move the black vote over to the Republican column. What will help is ending the overt hostility to black folks. But Republicans would lose their base if they did that, so I guess they'll have to stick to the status quo.

And that’s just fine with me.

ITA with this, especially the bold and blue.

On this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Plenty of black conservatives around...

I agree, but they don't vote for Republicans based on what desertdetroiter stated in the blue above.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:09 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
As a teacher, so many of my fellow teachers that are white liberals constantly display a soft-bigotry against black people without realizing it and while thinking that they are actually helping.

If you expect less out of a certain "community" of your students you tend to get less.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:13 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
African Americans are politically on the left and will continue to vote for Democrats.
Actually historically, there have been plenty of issues where blacks are to the right of whites...speaking of polling averages here.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, depends on the person you are playing with. I'll note that I personally do feel that many people in the black immigrant community buy into stereotypes of black Americans and they also caricature us same as ignorant whites and others do. Just like black Americans shouldn't be acting like all Africans live in huts or speak in a dumb African accent, I don't like African immigrants caricaturing us either. I have many black American friends and family members I've personally had to tell to stop caricaturing Africans and West Indians in particular. It is not necessary and only promotes stereotypes. Some people are okay with this because they don't think about these things from an historical and cultural perspective and I realize that. But I'm note one of those people and I don't like my people being caricatured, nor any others as contrary to what many people believe, stereotypes are not based in truth, for black Americans, they are based in a racist white supremacist ideological worldview. I know that goes over some people's heads and of course you may not think about this during a basketball game, but for me, seeing people "act" in a stereotypical way and especially attempting to "act like" black Americans, it is disrespectful to us as too many people already feel that we are some ignorant, angry stereotype and those pervasive stereotypes are the reason why we still deal with the remnants of racist ideas about our demographic.
The bolded is how I view the whole thing. I don't get this need for white people to do this for any group. As Dupree states: “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.”

If it's not a case of needing to dumb down, then what is this really about? It's almost as though they're making an attempt to impress other white people, but don't feel the need to impress minorities.

I view people who do this the same way I view people who raise the volume of their voices when speaking to someone who isn't great with the language, as though the recipient is deaf. It's sheer ignorance.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Actually historically, there have been plenty of issues where blacks are to the right of whites...speaking of polling averages here.

I agree with this as well; however, will note that what he stated in the blue I quoted above is true - they may vote for "issues" that are on the right but typically black Americans will vote Democratic, especially in national elections.

I am an independent and I have quite a few conservative leans and I do find uber white liberalism nauseating; however, I'm not going to overlook any sort of racist rhetoric or discriminatory commentary out of a candidate and usually the Rs are worse in this regard. They also often support discriminatory policies. So black people being more religious especially and supporting "issues" pertaining to conservatism, such as not supporting gay marriage and/or transgender issues in bathrooms, doesn't mean that those same people are going to vote for Donald Trump or some uber conservative white man over either a white Democrat and especially not over a black Democrat who does none of the above.

I'll also note that a majority of black people, contrary to what many in this nation believe, we aren't dumb enough to not know most Americans "think" we're dumb. We see it in both liberals and conservatives we often just don't speak of it outside or own circles - we discuss it amongst ouselves and in our media.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The bolded is how I view the whole thing. I don't get this need for white people to do this for any group. As Dupree states: “Even if it’s ultimately well-intentioned, it could be seen as patronizing.”

If it's not a case of needing to dumb down, then what is this really about? It's almost as though they're making an attempt to impress other white people, but don't feel the need to impress minorities.

I view people who do this the same way I view people who raise the volume of their voices when speaking to someone who isn't great with the language, as though the recipient is deaf. It's sheer ignorance.

I agree. I read your comments here and totally agree with you. Many of the other posters are looking over the fact that it "is" patronizing and that it is built upon a perceived "inferior" mindset of black Americans at understanding "big words." This is a very pure sort of racist interaction.

Even though I do also feel (as others have noted in this thread) that the OP primarily posted it to have a "see we're not the only racist" post from a conservative - it goes back to what I often state here. Racism is not bound by politics or political ideology. It is it's own thing. And anytime you feel an audience needs to have words literally "dumbed down" you think your audience is dumb/stupid and of inferior intelligence to yourself or your group.

I think because of my past career and having to endure many sorts of public events with politicians and PR reps for public agencies, I saw first hand these scenarios occur. It did make me roll my eyes and think of how the speaker must feel the audience is a bunch of dumba$$es.

Unfortunately, there is always a black person to take up for people who do things like this, especially when the speaker/person is on their political "team" so to speak. But a large amount of us see it and we do speak on it and it is not unnoticed.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree. I read your comments here and totally agree with you. Many of the other posters are looking over the fact that it "is" patronizing and that it is built upon a perceived "inferior" mindset of black Americans at understanding "big words." This is a very pure sort of racist interaction.

Even though I do also feel (as others have noted in this thread) that the OP primarily posted it to have a "see we're not the only racist" post from a conservative - it goes back to what I often state here. Racism is not bound by politics or political ideology. It is it's own thing. And anytime you feel an audience needs to have words literally "dumbed down" you think your audience is dumb/stupid and of inferior intelligence to yourself or your group.

I think because of my past career and having to endure many sorts of public events with politicians and PR reps for public agencies, I saw first hand these scenarios occur. It did make me roll my eyes and think of how the speaker must feel the audience is a bunch of dumba$$es.

Unfortunately, there is always a black person to take up for people who do things like this, especially when the speaker/person is on their political "team" so to speak. But a large amount of us see it and we do speak on it and it is not unnoticed.
People won't admit it, but I think some who weighed in as having no problem with this either 1) are defending liberals, or 2) didn't read any of the content in the two links and simply had a knee jerk response to the poster.

Perhaps the words were too big for them....lol.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I admit to dumbing down my language -- when I speak to anyone under 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies