Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It's not surprising considering the intentionally misleading first post and title, but a lot of the arguments here are ridiculous if you'd actually bother to read the article.

Trump migrated from (now) Germany to the US in 1885, at the age of 16. 20 years later, some government official in Germany, not realizing Trump hadn't lived there for 20 years, discovered that he never completed compulsory military service (that he wasn't subject to as a US citizen) and ordered that he be deported (from the country he hadn't lived in for 20 years) because they didn't know he had left.
Not accurate.
He returned to Bavaria with his wife and child(ren) with the intention of repatriation.

I posted a link that included the letter he wrote begging to be allowed to stay.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There are many legitimate reasons to dislike Trump. His grandfather refusing to serve in an imperialist military isn't one of them. I don't fully understand why people feel we're obligated to go fight (which means to murder other people) in wars that serve no actual defensive purpose.
I think the point isn’t that he refused to serve but that he felt the rules didn’t apply to him.
He seemed to think that he could waltz back into the country he had left some years before and buy his way back into their good graces.
They wanted more a substantial commitment, one expected of every adult male at that time.
Maybe it was cowardice, who knows, whatever the case, he clearly didn’t love his birth country enough to commit.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:45 AM

182 posts, read 331,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The military doctors did not discover my bone spurs at the MEPS. To do so, you need x-rays of your feet--they don't do that."

So, it is YOUR "claim" that the military doctors issued medical defendants based on someone else's X-rays and did NOT have their own taken or verify with the doctor that took them of thier validity, and you KNOW personal knowledge of this is what happened, HOW?

" I'm sure", based on WHAT?

like I have said before, I CURRENTLY have bone spurs an they hurt like hell

Try pinching your Achilles heel and see how bad it feels.

There is NO WAY a new recruit could do the marching required in basic training WITH BONE SPURS.

" But I can't see how anyone who has served can support a man who belittles American POWs or gold star families"

Sorry to burst your "I hate Trump bubble", but I AM a 2 tour Viet Nam vet and MOST vets I know, and I know a LOT support hm and do NOT agree with your assessment of what he has said.
I am a vet and have bone spurs as well, and had them in basic. They do not look for bone spurs at MEPS. According to NYT, Trump gave a letter from a doctor to the "draft officials".

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/u...ft-record.html

I understand there are vets that support them, I just can't fathom why as he obviously has no sense of what it means to serve.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Think about that for a minute. Heel spurs would disqualify someone from participating in boot camp and performing the long walks/patrols necessary for an infantryman.

Again, why in the world would Trump's grandfather want to serve in the Bavarian army (it was actually the german army under the auspices of Bavaria. In the united Germany under Bismark and subsequently Wilhelm, Prussia was the most populous and was the leader of organization in all branches of the service. Leadership roles for divisions were still assigned to officers of that principality. Awards for bravery, ect were mostly assigned to soldiers of that "kingdom", although Prussian awards were often given to soldiers from diferent german kingdoms. It was odd the other way around, as few non Bavarians were awarded the Military Max Joseph award, yet many Bavarians did receive Prussian awards).

My grandfather did not "answer the call" to fight for Germany in WW1 (thus "dodging his military service), but fought for the nation in which he lived, the United States (his five brothers did the same- not one returned to Germany and all fought in Europe for the US). I find it very odd that liberals are suggesting it would be "admirable" for US citizens to fight against the US for their country of origin. Isn't that what we call TREASON?

Old 11-30-2018, 04:28 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
ASTHMA much more serious/excusable than "heel spurs"!

Plus…..at least family members served, no Trump ever has, thus the very fitting OP TITLE!
"ASTHMA much more serious/excusable than "heel spurs"

I didn't know YOU wrote the United States Military Guidelines Manual on what does and what does NOT QUALIFY for medical deferments.

Have YOU ever had bones spurs?

How do you know how they affect the body?

Have you ever had Asthma?

I have posted, many times, I HAVE bone spurs and how they push on the Achilles heel.

Try squeezing YOUR Achilles heel and hold it for an hour.

THAT is what bone spurs feel like.

You won't last 5 seconds.

Someone WITH bone spurs would NEVER be able to do the marching done in boot camp!

Maybe you never went to boot camp, so have NO IDEA how much marching is done, NOR have evr had bone spurs BUT, YOU are the EXPERT!

Nothing new with liberals.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Kinda grates on ya...

People pretending to be online psychoanalysts...

... are amusing.

Being YOU responded, we KNOW who is "grated" MORE over trumps VICTORY and has to resort to school yard immature antics!

"are amusing'

As they say, " SIMPLE MINDS are easily amused!"

Last edited by Quick Enough; 11-30-2018 at 05:03 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Asthma is a chronic condition.
It’s a common misconception to believe that people outgrow it.
They don’t.

It’s still a disqualifying condition for military service.

No idea what point you are trying to make, but if you are trying to suggest that there is some parallel between a man who gave his life to public service, supported the military all of his life, instilled in his children a desire to serve and was a military parent and the self-adulator currently in the WH, well...

All that’s left to be said, in the most elementary terms, is one of these things is seriously not like the other.
"No idea what point you are trying to make........"

Not surprised it is OVER your head and think Biden is some kind of God that needs to be bowed down to BECAUSE he is life long politician.

Let's see if I can bring down to a grade school level even YOU CAN understand.

The charge is made that trump "dodged the draft"

Being given a LEGAL MEDICAL DEFERMENT by ARMY DOCTORS is NOT "draft dodging"

I pointed out the HYPOCRISY, I do it a LOT.

Biden ALSO GOT A LEGAL MEDICAL DEFERMENT.

Many wackos on the left attack Trump for getting HIS medical deferment and EXCUSE Biden for getting his.

I NEVER ATTACKED Biden for getting his as you seem to charge me of.

Maybe reading comprehension is NOT one of you STRONG suits!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
You seem a little defensive.

"You seem a little defensive."

The typical hypocrite response.

You CAN dish it OUT But, CAN'T take it!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
I am a vet and have bone spurs as well, and had them in basic. They do not look for bone spurs at MEPS. According to NYT, Trump gave a letter from a doctor to the "draft officials".

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/u...ft-record.html

I understand there are vets that support them, I just can't fathom why as he obviously has no sense of what it means to serve.
" According to NYT,"

And there you have it.

Have they done 1 single POSITIVE story on Trump since he announced he was going to run for the presidency?

How may retractions have they had to do because INSTEAD of VERIFYING the info they got, RAN WITH IT ANYWAY BECAUSE IT WAS NEGATIVE ON TRUMP?

They have lost ALL CREDIBILITY since the new owner took over. It is NOT the reputable paper which it once was!

Old 11-30-2018, 05:03 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Wow, attacking Trumps family is reaching farther and farther. lol
What's next, his long unknown Aunt, only to be found through a DNA match, had a baby out of wedlock? Was a hooker?

The distance one has to go to come up with this crap. Amazing! Which the left was this thorough when thinking of candidates for the last election, or the one coming in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies