Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times

Advertisements

Macron is a true believer in the carbon killing us all and has added a carbon tax to all fuel in France, and it's now around $6-$7 a gallon. Hence commerce is almost impossible and rioting is in full force. This unholy alliance over the climate and carbon taxes has an agenda the end of capitalism the promotion of globalism for all the lefties out there. The media cooperates by sending another polar bear downstream on a tiny chunk of ice holding a cardboard sign.........

Old 11-26-2018, 10:46 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Which is fine for people living and working in the city but what are commuters supposed to do?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Macron is a true believer in the carbon killing us all and has added a carbon tax to all fuel in France, and it's now around $6-$7 a gallon. Hence commerce is almost impossible and rioting is in full force. This unholy alliance over the climate and carbon taxes has an agenda the end of capitalism the promotion of globalism for all the lefties out there. The media cooperates by sending another polar bear downstream on a tiny chunk of ice holding a cardboard sign.........
Whooo! Go France! They're actually doing something! This is one of the few things that gives me hope for humanity. I don't know if it'll even be a positive thing overall. They point is they're trying something. When you're dealing with stuff as unpredictable, and yet dangerous as climate change, you're kind of taking gambles everywhere you go. Some people expect some kind of paternal government organization to know everything about the future, and be able to tell us exactly what to do so that profits are maximized, and that's just not going to happen. The goal is to stop human extinction, more or less, and the screwing over of the planet. The planet's not going to be helped by merely adapting to a changing environment. To help the planet, you have to reduce the changes, or at least invent new technologies to help deal with that. I figure, either this sort of thing, or pouring lots more investment into new technologies are good paths. I don't know which is better...so I figure this is good enough. This'll probably help spur those environmentally friendly technologies along anyway.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Which is fine for people living and working in the city but what are commuters supposed to do?
I don't know. Screw 'em. I'm more of a big picture kind a' guy. Presumably they'll think up some solution.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:13 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Whooo! Go France! They're actually doing something! This is one of the few things that gives me hope for humanity. I don't know if it'll even be a positive thing overall. They point is they're trying something. When you're dealing with stuff as unpredictable, and yet dangerous as climate change, you're kind of taking gambles everywhere you go. Some people expect some kind of paternal government organization to know everything about the future, and be able to tell us exactly what to do so that profits are maximized, and that's just not going to happen. The goal is to stop human extinction, more or less, and the screwing over of the planet. The planet's not going to be helped by merely adapting to a changing environment. To help the planet, you have to reduce the changes, or at least invent new technologies to help deal with that. I figure, either this sort of thing, or pouring lots more investment into new technologies are good paths. I don't know which is better...so I figure this is good enough. This'll probably help spur those environmentally friendly technologies along anyway.
i've never seen the wisdom in this 'do something, no matter how stupid it is' attitude.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:16 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I don't know. Screw 'em. I'm more of a big picture kind a' guy. Presumably they'll think up some solution.
You should go into politics!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i've never seen the wisdom in this 'do something, no matter how stupid it is' attitude.
I don't see it as a particularly unsafe route. It'll inevitably be a change people will have to make at some point anyway. Even if global warming isn't raising temperatures as much as people think, it'll still be causing some increases. Building a new type of cleaner environment will spur inventiveness relating to how to better get by in it, as well as technologies that help with that sort of thing, and the sooner that happens, the better, given how expensive clean energy can be, and how many developing nations are arising and industrializing.

Right now we're building a culture, and inventions, centering around soon-to-be obsolete fossil fuels. We're just wasting energy and resources on stuff we'll need to get rid of in a few decades.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:42 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times
I think other countries should emulate this, also we should put a large tax on all beef and pork (factory farming is a big source of carbon emissions).

IMO, it's time to phase out the use of plastics, the eating of meat (especially those from factory farms), driving your car frivolously, etc.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Wow. Just like what happened in Haiti when their former prime minister raised the gas tax. But his reason was he was trying to secure a loan from the IMF to get money to improve the island's infrastructure.

Personally, I think that the developed countries need to find a way to persuade Brazil from cutting down the Amazon rain forest to turn it into farm lands. IMO that's the greater threat to our planet's climate.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 AM

8,157 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post

Meanwhile, 100s of billions price tag so far (in this country), with much more to come in the future

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/c...te-report.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies