Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
My aunt had private insurance pre-ACA and got kicked off her policy in the middle of the year after she got lung cancer and huge claims. She died. Had ACA been in-effect, it's possible she might have lived. Getting kicked off insurance in the middle of lung cancer treatment caused her to miss many treatments and also have severe financial hardship due solely to the insurance company kicking her off the policy AND refusing to pay the large claims which occurred while the policy was still active.
Hope you sued and won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So you're telling us your tax rate is 50%?
History of Federal Income Tax Rates: 1913 – 2019

2013 – 2017

The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 increased the highest income tax rate to 39.6 percent. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act added an additional 3.8 percent on to this making the maximum federal income tax rate 43.4 percent.

2018-2019

The highest income tax rate was lowered to 37 percent for tax years beginning in 2018. The additional 3.8 percent is still applicable, making the maximum federal income tax rate 40.8 percent.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You know there's more than just income tax, right? Take me, for example. I pay about 33% of my income to state and federal income tax. Sales tax is around 9%. Then add property tax, social security, and medicare. That actually puts me around 50% already, and that doesn't even include the high gas tax, the annual vehicle registration "fees", or increases in insurance premiums thanks to the ACA. And I don't make anything close to a million a year.
It's very unlikely you pay 33% in federal and state tax. You need to look at your effective rate, not your marginal rate. Your effective rate is the rate you pay after all deductions divided by your gross income. Most people are in the low teens. It's higher earners, like me, who pay an effective rate in the 30's. As your income rises, you pay a higher effective rate.

When I said half, I was including state. Between state and federal, I am around 40%.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

2013 – 2017

The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 increased the highest income tax rate to 39.6 percent. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act added an additional 3.8 percent on to this making the maximum federal income tax rate 43.4 percent.

2018-2019

The highest income tax rate was lowered to 37 percent for tax years beginning in 2018. The additional 3.8 percent is still applicable, making the maximum federal income tax rate 40.8 percent.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:

2013 – 2017

2018-2019

I should add that if you live in ANY state, especially a blue one, with a state tax, you lost your SALT deduction, which usually way more than offset any reduction in the rates. So this was NOT a giveaway to high earners.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I should add that if you live in ANY state, especially a blue one, with a state tax, you lost your SALT deduction, which usually way more than offset any reduction in the rates. So this was NOT a giveaway to high earners.
Interesting I was just looking at State and Local Sales Tax Rates 2018; Hawaii is horrible.

"Hawaii has the broadest sales tax in the United States, but it taxes many products multiple times and, by one estimate, ultimately taxes 105.08 percent of the state’s personal income."

PS: The Price We Pay for Capping the SALT Deduction

"Left to their own devices, states and localities may also invest only modestly in spending programs and tax benefits that benefit low-income residents. But Americans who care about providing struggling families with assistance might be willing to subsidize states and localities to do more."

Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Interesting I was just looking at State and Local Sales Tax Rates 2018; Hawaii is horrible.

"Hawaii has the broadest sales tax in the United States, but it taxes many products multiple times and, by one estimate, ultimately taxes 105.08 percent of the state’s personal income."

PS: The Price We Pay for Capping the SALT Deduction

"Left to their own devices, states and localities may also invest only modestly in spending programs and tax benefits that benefit low-income residents. But Americans who care about providing struggling families with assistance might be willing to subsidize states and localities to do more."
If you do your taxes on Turbo tax or any software, go to the back up. It should tell you your effective tax rate.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If you do your taxes on Turbo tax or any software, go to the back up. It should tell you your effective tax rate.
thx, but for the sake of argument:

A closer look at who does (and doesn’t) pay U.S. income tax

"Individual income taxes are the federal government’s single biggest revenue source."

and I am not a fan of giving the federal government 1/3rd of my labor.

Since others can say this better ...

Taxation, Slavery, and Consent

"I could see no reason why I should, at the end of each week, pour the reward of my toil into the purse of my master. When I carried to him my weekly wages, he would, after counting the money, look me in the face with a robber-like fierceness, and ask, “Is this all?” He was satisfied with nothing less than the last cent. He would, however, when I made him six dollars, sometimes gives me six cents, to encourage me. ~ Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave (Boston: Anti-Slavery Office, 1845), 102. ~
<snip>
Modern taxation has simply codified the arrangement that separated the plantation slave from the city slave."

Thomas Jefferson on taxes

" ... federal government was established to protect citizens against the burden of government."

Interesting enough is hasn't worked out that way, as people have defined liberty and their freedoms, that which they pay the government to grant them. (ACA is but one example)

PS: Jefferson believed in the people. However, the people today, it seems they don't believe in themselves, as they empower the government.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-06-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
Starting my third year of subsidizing your health insurance.

-Tax payers.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:50 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Starting my third year of subsidizing your health insurance.

-Tax payers.
Continuing the many, many decades of subsidizing employer-based health insurance.

-Tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies