Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 PM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times

Advertisements

If competition drives down the costs of shipping, why is it that FedEx and UPS charge more than USPS across the board? Sometimes two to three times as much. It is only with larger, heavier packages are they are competitive with USPS' charges.

https://online-shipping-blog.endicia...on-chart-2018/

https://goshippo.com/blog/fedex-vs-u...e-comparisons/

Neither even tries to compete on letters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 PM

12,404 posts, read 8,189,526 times
Unfortunately as seen on the OP the Postal Service focuses on "revenue" not profit. Revenue by itself is only a measure of is how busy the Postal Service is. And the Postmaster General and board of directors thus makes a too big and too busy to fail argument. UPS and the others can't pick up the slack of the 600,000 postal workers or deliver to the rural areas of the nation. As seen in the last three Christmas seasons as both UPS and USPS failed to meet their service goals and had failed deliveries going into the gift giving day.

It is not just the prefunding of the 75 years into the future pensions that cause operating losses. In search of "revenue" the service is incurring an ever greater liability and must deliver stuff which losses ever more money as the "revenue" and busy work grows. It is the last parcel the letter carrier has that is often needing to be delivered by a carrier earning double overtime and stuck in rush hour traffic costing the service $40 in the last mile letter carrier salary alone which wipes off the board any profit earned from the many $4 pieces and advertising mail earning pennies carried on any given day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Why does anyone think the USPS needs to be profitable? Does the military need to be profitable?
Because in theory the tax payer is not going to pay for the service, as revenue only comes from those who want to send something through the system. If the service is not profitable then the government has to step in to pay the pensions of the army of retired postal workers and actually payoff the purchase of new vehicles and facilities as its 25 year old fleet of trucks and stations designed to run letters through them are being bombarded by bulky parcels.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,056,301 times
Bottom line: Right wing/libertarian man say big bad government always bad except at blowing things up, all things for common good =Mao, people in camps mass slaughter. Therefore post office=collective good=Mao. Libraries too. Run by evil liberals/sanctioned by government=Mao.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,691,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Bottom line: Right wing/libertarian man say big bad government always bad except at blowing things up, all things for common good =Mao, people in camps mass slaughter. Therefore post office=collective good=Mao. Libraries too. Run by evil liberals/sanctioned by government=Mao.

Mao = stand in front of tank with no cameras present. You get present =MAO= flat out offer

Liberal no like stand the ground = Mao = we family but you second kid win free housing camp slaughter = Mao= we like liberal free stuff = Mao = library good, education working, we send mail your mom= collective good = Mao = we state family,

Last edited by phma; 12-04-2018 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-04-2018, 07:37 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,565,660 times
Would anyone here have a problem with 3 day a week residential mail delivery? I wouldn’t for sure. It would save fuel and money.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Would anyone here have a problem with 3 day a week residential mail delivery? I wouldn’t for sure. It would save fuel and money.
Too big to fail is the problem. While the service has shed over 200,000 positions over the last 20 years through automation of letter processing and attrition to cut half of the carrier force to go to an every other day delivery schedule would be an immediate 150,000 jobs lost. And no politician wants to go into the next election with that big an unemployment hit on his record.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,565,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Too big to fail is the problem. While the service has shed over 200,000 positions over the last 20 years through automation of letter processing and attrition to cut half of the carrier force to go to an every other day delivery schedule would be an immediate 150,000 jobs lost. And no politician wants to go into the next election with that big an unemployment hit on his record.
My mail carrier can go anytime and I don’t think he’s alone. They have an old workforce from what I’ve seen. My carrier could move into a tent in San Francisco and fit right in, he looks like hell.

What happened to uniforms and haircuts?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My mail carrier can go anytime and I don’t think he’s alone. They have an old workforce from what I’ve seen. My carrier could move into a tent in San Francisco and fit right in, he looks like hell.

What happened to uniforms and haircuts?
Many letter carriers do hold on hoping to get a retirement incentive package like postal clerks got when their ranks were decimated by automation taking away the value that the clerk's institution knowledge added. It was the clerk's speed compared to National Guard replacements and not the letter carriers that won the Postal Strike in 1970. And San Francisco and other higher cost of living areas are a special case. Unlike most Feds postal workers don't get area based wage adjustments. So while in one community the letter carrier out earns the local police Sergeant in San Francisco he is near the minimum "living wage" city politicians often promote. Meaning unless he moves he can't afford to stop working, especially if he began working after 1984 when the FERS retirement system replaced the old civil service system with the large pensions.

Since automation the time and distance traveled on the street by the average letter carrier has gone up by a third or doubled with the attended wear and tear. Thus they show more wear and tear partially because of the closed vendor system causing a rise in uniform price going lock step with increased uniform allowances. I remember about 20 years ago getting calls complaining about the letter carriers having visible tattoos and sagging their walking shorts South Central gangsta style, expecting a US Army standard among the uniformed work force. Haircut standards, was something the general public lost in the 1960s

Last edited by Taiko; 12-04-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,056,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Mao = stand in front of tank with no cameras present. You get present =MAO= flat out offer

Liberal no like stand the ground = Mao = we family but you second kid win free housing camp slaughter = Mao= we like liberal free stuff = Mao = library good, education working, we send mail your mom= collective good = Mao = we state family,

That doesn't make any sense.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM

45,258 posts, read 26,510,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Based on current pricing. UPS and Fedex are more expensive than USPS on just about any service anywhere.

I have enough 4-page micro-print legalese contracts in my life.
Not an argument to continue the $20 billion a year taxpayer subsidy to USPS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies