Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a paid Federal holiday for National Day of Mourning?
YES 55 36.67%
NO 95 63.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,127,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Extremist, impractical and not connected to reality. With "ANARCHO-CAPITALIST/DESTROYER OF STATISTS" screaming out as a statement of your philosophy, not too surprised.

In the real world, which as you might have noticed is NEVER going to be completely "free", leaders are key to the success not only of governments, but of business as well.
Statism is cancer.

Business leaders are selected through voluntary agreements. Governments are forced on people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 08:40 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,127,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Absurd.
Not an argument.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,513,342 times
National Day Of Mourning - I'm in. Count me as a supporter. You certainly can't close federal and state offices and expect employees to not get paid. BTW, I am sure this includes a lot of lower level non essential employees. The essential services are still continuing so it's a minor inconvenience at most.

Our Governor declared a day of observance too and all state offices and schools are closed. This is a teaching opportunity for the kids. I am 52 and remember Reagan's funeral and Ford's. This doesn't happen often. Also, children rarely learn anything on patriotic holidays. Independence Day - it's all fireworks and barbecues.

I am really surprised some would have an issue with this. I am a Dem (not that it matters) and have tremendous respect for past Presidents. Especially Bush's WWII service. My father was a WWII navy veteran. I was so touched when I saw Bob Dole who is in his 90's being helped up from his wheelchair to salute. I can remember what a "tough guy" Dole was when he was holding office and ran for President - man I feel OLD.

This observance also shows the world we are united as a country. What do you think other countries do when their leaders die? We are so divided now that we appear WEAK. This is an opportunity to show the world we are above the political divisions and are still strong.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:53 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times
If any of you are watching the service at the National Cathedral, here's a link to the service booklet so you can follow along...

In celebration of and in thanksgiving for the life of George Herbert Walker Bush

Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've been very moved by the events of the past few days as we say goodbye to our former president, George H. W. Bush. A National Day of Mourning is a reminder for all of us to pause and reflect on our own mortality and the legacy we want to leave at our passing.
Watching the service now. It is quite beautiful and moving.
I also really appreciate seeing all of the former presidents and first ladies in attendance as well as the current - it shows that despite the differences, it is possible to be united for a single cause.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
National Day Of Mourning - I'm in. Count me as a supporter. You certainly can't close federal and state offices and expect employees to not get paid. BTW, I am sure this includes a lot of lower level non essential employees. The essential services are still continuing so it's a minor inconvenience at most.

Our Governor declared a day of observance too and all state offices and schools are closed. This is a teaching opportunity for the kids. I am 52 and remember Reagan's funeral and Ford's. This doesn't happen often. Also, children rarely learn anything on patriotic holidays. Independence Day - it's all fireworks and barbecues.

I am really surprised some would have an issue with this. I am a Dem (not that it matters) and have tremendous respect for past Presidents. Especially Bush's WWII service. My father was a WWII navy veteran. I was so touched when I saw Bob Dole who is in his 90's being helped up from his wheelchair to salute. I can remember what a "tough guy" Dole was when he was holding office and ran for President - man I feel OLD.

This observance also shows the world we are united as a country. What do you think other countries do when their leaders die? We are so divided now that we appear WEAK. This is an opportunity to show the world we are above the political divisions and are still strong.
Wonderful post.
I'm also surprised anyone would have an issue with it, but it seems that being outraged over something, anything is now the national past time.

Very sad.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wonderful post.
I'm also surprised anyone would have an issue with it, but it seems that being outraged over something, anything is now the national past time.

Very sad.
Who is outraged? Or even has an issue with it?
A question was posed: do you support a Federal holiday for mourning dead presidents?
Just because some dont think we need to declare it a federal holiday in order to mourn the loss and show respect for our presidents doesn't mean there is outrage. jeez.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,678,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who is outraged? Or even has an issue with it?
A question was posed: do you support a Federal holiday for mourning dead presidents?
Just because some dont think we need to declare it a federal holiday in order to mourn the loss and show respect for our presidents doesn't mean there is outrage. jeez.
The OP seems a little outraged. There was a bit of drama in the first post (his friend was getting PAID to be off) and he's (or she) is a little put out that lots of services aren't operating today.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,393,624 times
Is anybody watching or listening to the funeral service? It's truly beautiful. Meacham gave the sermon at last week's service at the National Cathedral. He is an incredible public speaker, and it's such a pleasure to listen to him. Brian Mulroney gave a wonderful tribute, and former Senator Alan Simpson is up now.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:08 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The OP seems a little outraged. There was a bit of drama in the first post (his friend was getting PAID to be off) and he's (or she) is a little put out that lots of services aren't operating today.
Is that what passes as outrage these days.
Sounds a little irritated or put out but outraged?
I was a bit put out too when a federal employee said they couldn't look into an invoice until next week due to "the holidays" as she put it. I looked at the calendar and thought Hanukkah? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies