Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a paid Federal holiday for National Day of Mourning?
YES 55 36.67%
NO 95 63.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:18 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You’re loved ones were not the leaders of our country.
No but I was actually in mourning and attending a funeral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'm fine with it. It's not like former presidents die every day, or even every year.

All you crabby naysayers, cheer up - the only former president with one foot in the grave is Jimmy Carter. Dubya seems pretty robust, Obama is young, who knows about Clinton. After Trump isn't re-elected, I'd put money on him to go next after Carter.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think it's a nice observance. I can handle not getting flyers and bills for one day. I can even handle getting my Christmas cards a day late. There aren't that many Presidents, so it's not like we will have a day like this every month or every year.
Same here.
I’m fine with a National Day of Mourning and all it entails.
I think it’s respectful and I appreciate that.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No thats not exactly what you said. You said: He said that his livelihood depended on getting mail on Wednesday

He said: He said: Some of our livelihoods depend on federal services, consistent mail delivery, etc. I don’t understand why they’d interrupt mail delivery especially at this time of year.

Not exactly the same.

And who cares? Well small businesses that need that 18 large now not next week before they even look into it because of "the holiday". I'm sure the federal employee was exaggerating (lying). I cant imagine why it would take 5 days to review an invoice when they are getting one day off, but thats pretty typical for the feds. This is just an example of how another federal holiday can affect people.
Personally, I dont give a fig, I just dont see the necessity since these employees are not going to be spending the day in mourning. Costs of closing federal offices according to some sources run in the millions of dollars.
Every time the post office, banks, etc. are closed for a holiday, someone is inconvenienced.
Yet few people rally to eliminate Independence Day celebrations or Presidents‘ Day or any of the others.
And, people sure aren’t mourning for the most part on Memorial Day but that doesn’t seem a prerequisite for having a paid day off then, does it?
Nope. Every single one of those holidays is simply an excuse to shop and/or eat.

At least this one came on us too fast for stores to organize associated sales.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Same here.
Here is an idea. Instead of getting a day off for a "holiday" have the federal employees actually spend the day mourning like the ancient tradition of paid professional mourners. They could stand outside federal offices crying and wailing.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Every time the post office, banks, etc. are closed for a holiday, someone is inconvenienced.
Yet few people rally to eliminate Independence Day celebrations or Presidents‘ Day or any of the others.
And, people sure aren’t mourning for the most part on Memorial Day but that doesn’t seem a prerequisite for having a paid day off then, does it?
Nope. Every single one of those holidays is simply an excuse to shop and/or eat.

At least this one came on us too fast for stores to organize associated sales.
I'm not sure anyone is rallying to eliminate it just as I haven't seen evidence that people are enraged.
Actually many people visit cemeteries, have parades and celebrations in remembrance of those who lost their lives serving their country. Memorial day isnt about mourning others as it is celebrating or remembering others.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Same here.

Agreed. It's also good for the world to see all our leaders---past and present---from both parties to come together to show respect for those who have served in our highest office.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
eventually we will only get mail 5 days out of the year knock it off feds

and I would rather work 12 hours than be granted an Obama day

Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
President of the United States are special and unique to this country.

I actually agree with you on this !

Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I've been very moved by the events of the past few days as we say goodbye to our former president, George H. W. Bush. A National Day of Mourning is a reminder for all of us to pause and reflect on our own mortality and the legacy we want to leave at our passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies