Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
What I saw was the last president being honored that flew 50 combat missions, a former congressman, ambassador, CIA director and vice president.

Meanwhile, Cadet Bone Spurs, decorated veteran of Studio 54 sat scowling, unable to not attend but absolutely mortified he had to sit and listen to stories about a man with friendships that spanned decades, a loving marriage that began before Trump was born and a man who had total commitment to family and was comfortable with the person he was.

All in contrast to Trump, an inferior man whose anti-statesmanhip has created a defunct GOP.

Basically Trump had to sit there and listen about a man being praised for everything Trump is not.
I can't disagree that Bush was a better man than Trump==Finding someone worse would be a challenge...

Don't paint Bush I as someone w/o blemishes

He wasn't--he was just better at hiding his ambition and he saw Reagan charm people--he learned it is possible to get what you want that way vs using the hand in the iron glove.....
Bush grew up KNOWING he was cream of the crop, sion of a wealthy, respected family with a cultured background...not like Trump at all--so their social caste, generational wealth, and family history made all the difference...
Trump has always been an outsider, a parvenue, someone who craves the limelight to feed that insecurity

And there is high probability that Bush had affairs (including long-time mistress) during his marriage to Barbara--he was just better at hiding it--didn't see the value in flaunting it and likely because Barbara was steelier than either of Trump's first two wives--she had no qualms about going for the jugular if needed...
Melania and Barbara Bush likely have a lot in common...

The Bushes were a political alliance as much or more than most presidential couples in the sense they came from similar social circles--her family was politically involved just not as high a recent profile--
and they were raised in a different generation--that generation is obviously dying out...
She could be a real termagent

Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Only God knows how "religious" someone is; it's not a matter of how big a show of it you make in public to impress others. Remember the parable!
Trump could not say the Lord's Prayer w/o a TelePrompter or earwig if his life depended on it--- bet on it...

Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Bush is a genuinely a nice guy and loves his country and is a war hero. I voted for him twice. Trump is just the opposite. He is a grouch and only cares about himself as is quite evident.
The give away about Trump is that he hates animals---not to mention people...

Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do think he was mad that Bush Jr brought Michelle Obama some candy.
Maybe that's why he seemed so grouchy. Mrs. Obama had candy and he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Orange man bad.
You're getting the hang of it ...

Old 12-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, I didn't, not at all. There is, however, a big difference in the order of worship at an Episcopal church as opposed to a Baptist one, for example, and that's what I was referring to.
The "order of service""" is not important if someone genuinely cares about showing respect for the person and the institution
We have friends of various religions and have been to services at their faith--
Have even be 'stand in godparents' twice when the chosen people were not able to be there

Anyone can show respect by participating as part of the 'unity of spirit" such occasions call for

Someone mentioned Trump's crossed arms as his psyche revealing what he was really thinking and feeling--
I think that is very true--
He was blocking out and protecting himself because he knew the negative thoughts coming his way
He could have sat there--even w/o participating--with arms at his side, perhaps holding Melania's hand
But he wound up looking like a 2yr old put in the corner for some "time out"...

Old 12-06-2018, 01:07 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Bush is a genuinely a nice guy and loves his country and is a war hero. I voted for him twice. Trump is just the opposite. He is a grouch and only cares about himself as is quite evident.
Yet liberals attacked him during his presidency. Repeatedly.

Time gives us perspective. I know, liberals think Trump will never be thought of as anything other than the devil himself. But I'm sure time will look kindly on Trump as well. In 25 years, liberals will have moved on to their newest "person they must hate simply because they're a conservative", and they'll be singing the praises of Trump.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Only God knows how "religious" someone is; it's not a matter of how big a show of it you make in public to impress others. Remember the parable!
Exactly. Sitting in the front row of a church that spews racist hatred makes you far less religious than someone who quietly, and without fanfare, practices their faith.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Barack and Michelle greeted the Liar in Chief despite the years of harassment they’ve taken from them. I wouldn’t have even acknowledged either Trump or Melania.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
What I saw was the last president being honored that flew 50 combat missions, a former congressman, ambassador, CIA director and vice president.

Meanwhile, Cadet Bone Spurs, decorated veteran of Studio 54 sat scowling, unable to not attend but absolutely mortified he had to sit and listen to stories about a man with friendships that spanned decades, a loving marriage that began before Trump was born and a man who had total commitment to family and was comfortable with the person he was.

All in contrast to Trump, an inferior man whose anti-statesmanhip has created a defunct GOP.

Basically Trump had to sit there and listen to stories about a man being praised for everything Trump is not.
I think what was troubling trump mostly was his confusion that he was attending George Bush's funeral and yet, there he was up front giving the eulogy as a very confused trump wondered what was going on.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yet liberals attacked him during his presidency. Repeatedly.

Time gives us perspective. I know, liberals think Trump will never be thought of as anything other than the devil himself. But I'm sure time will look kindly on Trump as well. In 25 years, liberals will have moved on to their newest "person they must hate simply because they're a conservative", and they'll be singing the praises of Trump.
I disagreed with Reagan--voted against his twice--disagreed with Bush I and Bush II and voted against them

Bush I --was a criminal, involved with Iran Contra scandal as VP and other negative actions but he was smart enough to know that invading Kuwait was NOT going to be a long term policy investment and he was strong enough to resist any in his Cabinet or the military who wanted to hang around to bring "democracy" to the Middle East--
Plus he knew enough about the Arabs to know democracy was the last thing they wanted from America
And he was an intelligent man--he DID make a lot of wealth through his political and business contacts
You don't live for 40 years as a hidden CIA agent (likely recruited right out of Yale) if you are stupid...

I felt sorry for him when he was violently sick at the huge Chinese political dinner

And of course liberals "attacked" him during his Presidency--
He advocated policies we didn't agree with...
That is not to say he was as dangerous to democratic principles as Trump
Bush believed in NATO--he saw Russia as a dangerous threat to the US--he believed in the power of global trade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies