Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

I live in a self managed HOA. We hire seasonal lifeguards- teen offspring of owners. We put these applications through all the legal paces, including but not limited to e-Verify and do so even though we know with certainty the applicants are citizens and eligible to work.

It takes just a few minutes to process 40 applications. There is no excuse for any employer to not use eVerify for all applicants/ employees unless they don’t want to know.

I support continued Federal investment in eVerify to include biometric identifiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:31 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I live in a self managed HOA. We hire seasonal lifeguards- teen offspring of owners. We put these applications through all the legal paces, including but not limited to e-Verify and do so even though we know with certainty the applicants are citizens and eligible to work.

It takes just a few minutes to process 40 applications. There is no excuse for any employer to not use eVerify for all applicants/ employees unless they don’t want to know.

I support continued Federal investment in eVerify to include biometric identifiers.
All good, but if Texas (border state!) won't implement it, it does little good.

You can lead the horse to water but you can't make the selfish business persons and the pols they pay for drink.

I am generally not a privacy nut. I do draw the line at taking bodily fluids (high schoolers having to pee in a cup to join the band, etc.)....

But biometrics is fine with me in terms of proving my passport and stuff like that. In fact, I now have my "RealID" here in MA, which is very hard to get. It will be required to fly after 2020.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:33 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
send her home

Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree large employers should use e-verify without it being mandatory. Many employers intentionally use illegal aliens for cheap labor, some dont want to mess with it a feel legitimate looking DLs and SS cards are sufficient. That is why it needs to be mandatory.

Now what good would it do Trump to pound sand about Congress not passing his immigration bill?
Why limit to large employers?

It is not a burden.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM

Media is interviewing some of the housekeepers.

One has been employed since 2013. She said ( via an interpreter) she told them she did not have papers and does not speak English. Reportedly, she was told “ it does not matter”.

Trump referred media inquiries to Trump Org. Response was along the lines of “ we have tens of thousands of employees across all properties and very strict hiring practices”.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...illegal-aliens

I would respect it if Trump Org owned it and did the blah blah about reviewing hiring practices to include eVerify- you know lead by example.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All good, but if Texas (border state!) won't implement it, it does little good.

You can lead the horse to water but you can't make the selfish business persons and the pols they pay for drink.

I am generally not a privacy nut. I do draw the line at taking bodily fluids (high schoolers having to pee in a cup to join the band, etc.)....

But biometrics is fine with me in terms of proving my passport and stuff like that. In fact, I now have my "RealID" here in MA, which is very hard to get. It will be required to fly after 2020.
9 sitting or former Republican Governors were candidates for their party’s nomination in 2016:

Kasich- Ohio

Bush- Florida

Gilmore- Virginia

Christie- New Jersey

Huckabee- Arkansas

Partaking- NY

Jindal- Loisiana

Walker- Wisconsin

Perry- Texas

All have been in positions to push for e-Verify of all employees in their own states. Most enjoyed a solid Republican State legislate. Yet, none of them did. Could it be too many in -state donors financially benefit off cheap labor?

Of the handful of states that do mandate eVerify, there are intentional loopholes.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:15 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Why limit to large employers?

It is not a burden.
It is not really an issue with small employers, especially in areas where employers dont have non English speaking, obviously foreign individuals seeking employment, but I have no problem with it being mandatory for every employer.
We have roughly 14 employees, specific degrees and certifications are required for employment, we are located in a majority white rural area. There is really no need to to use e-verify for new hires although were are set up for e-verify because we do business with the state of Georgia.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Media is interviewing some of the housekeepers.

One has been employed since 2013. She said ( via an interpreter) she told them she did not have papers and does not speak English. Reportedly, she was told “ it does not matter”.

Trump referred media inquiries to Trump Org. Response was along the lines of “ we have tens of thousands of employees across all properties and very strict hiring practices”.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...illegal-aliens

I would respect it if Trump Org owned it and did the blah blah about reviewing hiring practices to include eVerify- you know lead by example.

Once again, the states that Trump has properties in that mandate e-verify his organization is in compliance. Trump has mandated e-verify for every state in his 2019 budget. It was the Democrats that turned it down the last time. Let's see if they do it again.

The supervisor that told the woman that it was ok if she didn't have proper papers to work here was not the fault of Trump nor his organization. You cannot police thousands of employees. You hire them in good faith and expect that they follow policy but there will always be corrupt ones among them. That's not the fault of Trump nor his organization since they already stated that they have strict hiring practices. Why don't you give it up already? You're beating this thing to death repeating yourself over and over in here.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:44 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Of course he did not tell his employees to hire illegals.

He is the beneficial owner of the trust that holds his properties. As such, it’s his organization’s responsibility to set the tone at the top and ensure there are appropriate processes and checks and balances.

None of Trump’ s 11 hotel properties or country clubs are in the few states that mandate eVerify. Your claim that it uses eVerify in states that mandate it, makes no sense.

Regardless of state laws, employers who seek to avoid the embarrassment and optics associated with employing illegal immigrants do the eVerify thing. There is no reason to not use eVerify unless the employer does not want to know.

There is no reason for Trump Org to apply for and use H2B visa workers instead of hiring citizens according to Palm Beach County. No shortage of businesses in seasonal areas pay more, pick up tolls and run vans to designated pick up/ drop off points. Relying on low- skilled visa workers is contrary to his platform.

During Trump’s inauguration speech, he focused on the 4 pillars of immigration reform. He said he would limit chain migration to spouses and unmarried children. This is contrary to Melania’s sister and parents immigration.

There is no doubt that chain migration of Melania’s sister and parents is a part of the deal between Melania and Trump. They are not a burden on society given they have residences in Trump properties and likely receive a stipend, given they are not employed. And I don’t personally give a damn about them.

It is however a contradiction between Trump words and actions. It’s not unreasonable to expect him to walk the talk.

Give it up already for God's sake! You're starting to sound like a parrot now, Geezus! When it's been proven that Trump knowingly had illegal aliens working for him or that he abused the H2B visas then get back with us, will you? Till then you're only repeating yourself over and over in here. I'm sure glad there's an ignore feature on this forum. Buh, bye!

Old 12-07-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is not really an issue with small employers, especially in areas where employers dont have non English speaking, obviously foreign individuals seeking employment, but I have no problem with it being mandatory for every employer.
We have roughly 14 employees, specific degrees and certifications are required for employment, we are located in a majority white rural area. There is really no need to to use e-verify for new hires although were are set up for e-verify because we do business with the state of Georgia.
Small businesses are the primary employers of undocumented people.

If it became Federal Law , it might take you all of a few minutes to verify 14 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies