Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
One more reason that, speaking generally, teachers today have my sympathy. Every time they walk into a classroom, they risk being sued. (Much more so today than even 20 years ago, I mean.)
This is one of the reasons I am seriously considering leaving teaching. Between the massively overcrowded classrooms, the huge number of tests that we are required to give year after year, the horrible school conditions, and now finally having to carefully think about every action, gesture, and lesson in order to make sure I don't offend somebody; I have come to realize I am no longer teacher but instead running a rotating baby sitting service.

The custodians at my wife's workplace make as much money as I do, think I might just take a job cleaning up crap instead of juggling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:53 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
2:50 so very very short. I implore you, my fellow EIC hostages, to give it a chance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777s5ZhABTo
I just became the 35 person to watch that video since it was posted last March. Abolish Government Schools is really catching on!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
So my sincere religious beliefs allow me to act like an ass and still retain my job? I don't think so.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So my sincere religious beliefs allow me to act like an ass and still retain my job? I don't think so.
Neither do I. But how does that relate to this topic?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,606 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Which verse in the New Testament says that, I wonder?
touche. THANK YOU. I'm a Christian, the real kind, who thinks you have to treat everyone with love and kindness.

What Christian belief says you have to be rude to people who believe they are transgender? ???

Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
He brought his religion into it when he explained it would not let him refer to the student as the student wished.

Yep, and the teacher is utilizing religion as a defense for not following the district policies.
"The School Board has adopted policies and tonight we upheld these policies"...refusal to follow school policy is the rationale for his termination and the teacher is shielding himself behind religion.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:31 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What competent authority has determined that a 9th grader is committed to transitioning? Or can a student just decide on a Monday morning that I am going to choose a different identity and you have to address me accordingly.

I hope the teacher sues the district for a large settlement, not because of his religious beliefs but because of the stupidity of this entire event.

The parents, at least two different doctors, at least one Psychologist (or Psychiatrist). [and in keeping with the season, a partridge in a pear tree]. It kills me that people can't do a little research (not referring to you VA), if they did, they would quickly realize we don't just do this ish on a lark. It's an incredibly long, very very involved process, involving (in my case) a lot of loss (friends, family, etc.)

All that said, while I disagree with the teacher's position, it seems some compromise was attempted on his part. He wasn't disrespectful toward the student. Let the guy teach FFS.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Yep, and the teacher is utilizing religion as a defense for not following the district policies.
"The School Board has adopted policies and tonight we upheld these policies"...refusal to follow school policy is the rationale for his termination and the teacher is shielding himself behind religion.

This does bother me, if he feels squicky using gender pronouns appropriate for the student, he should just say so, and not hide behind Christ to avoid it.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:51 PM

33,327 posts, read 12,498,936 times
When I saw the thread title, I wondered if the teacher is a teacher in one of the five states that don't allow teachers to bargain collectively.

I'm not a teacher, but I've had conversations with teachers here in Texas about that (Texas is one of those five states).

I'd forgotten which other states comprise the five, so I just looked it up, and then reread the OP.

The other four states are Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.

The teacher in the OP was was teaching at a school in Virginia.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,929 times
The idiot should go work for a private Christian school. That religious BS won't fly in a public school.

The laws of your religion does not trump the Constitution. We are not a theocratic state.
Move to Saudi Arabia if that's the kind of country you want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies