Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,061,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That has nothing to do with an individual being able to recognize the type of person whom they should be weary of.

And btw that scenario is ridiculous.
Why? That is a very common scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM

2,448 posts, read 897,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I have seen it happen firsthand, but there are likely no statistics recorded on it.

That is only if you are fired for being a woman or a minority. Does not apply to white males.

Men do not come forward because we know that nobody will take us seriously. In the rare case that a man does come forward, he is just told to grow a thicker skin. Maybe what is needed is for more men to come forward, so that our complaints are taken seriously.

But the majority of men are not business owners, CEOs, managers, judges, attorneys, DA's, politicians, etc.

What you say is true, but the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.
One piece of advice: when you describe what you have seen, use the terms, "this was my lived experience." In other words, start using their lingo back against them. It's effective and it's also really enjoyable to watch their reactions. And when they try to dismiss it, tell them that they're "trying to invalidate my lived experience."

Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM

36,591 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Why exactly race came into the discussion? Did it feel non PC to just confine the discussion to women?

But of course I don't refuse to work with anyone. Where did you get this unrealistic idea? I treat everyone with professional courtesy.

It is just that I will avoid all social activities that have a lot of female coworkers. I will never volunteer to work one on one with female coworker nor will I offer any advice, unless asked very specifically. I will try to avoid any business trips if my female coworkers are also going.

I have worked very hard to get where I am now. I don't want to ruin everything over some wild allegation raised by man hating feminist mafia...
Race came into it because I see the same situation. Someone makes an accusation of racism and the powers that be rush to judgement without investigating or hear the defense. The person making the accusation gets the benefit of the doubt. Same as when a woman makes an accusation of sexual misconduct.

Did I say that you refused to work with people? I thought I said if men (men as in general men) want to isolate themselves from women in the workplace.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Keep crying wolf and people will fence off the area...
Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part.

Women make up more than half the population of this country. You can’t fence them off no matter how bad you might want to. They also have the vote. This ain’t pre-suffrage America, and the dial isn’t getting set back. Women can simply vote themselves a seat at the table, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Just behave and treat women with respect. Then you don’t have to worry about MeToo. That’s the solution, not discrimination. Women aren’t gonna lay down for that.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,346,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a bunch of hogwash.

How did I make it through over 30 years in the work force and not have a single issue working with women or have any issues of sexual harrassment?

This hand wringing by execs is the same hysterical nonsense perpetuated by those who would have you believe that there is an epidemic of false rape/sexual harrassment accusations by women in general.

If any of you guys are like me, treated all in the workplace, including women, with the same professional courtesy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This is not rocket science folks.

If any of you good old boys feel threatened because you no longer can oggle your female co-workers, make crude, sexist comments and jokes, hit on them, or tell them how sexy they look in their skirts, good. Time to get with the program and live in the 21st century, not the 19th century.
Bravo!!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

19,695 posts, read 12,275,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That has nothing to do with an individual being able to recognize the type of person whom they should be weary of.

And btw that scenario is ridiculous.
In fact men in and outside of the workplace give more attention to women who may be more likely to be sensitive to what they perceive as harassment. In other words- young attractive women. That is who they "mentor" so they are afraid of these women now.

I used to post in a fan forum, and there was a discussion about work. A well regarded male forum member said he would only converse with the attractive women at work. It was really strange and creepy. I reminded him he was communicating right now with women who may be unattractive. I guess it's ok if he didn't have to look at them. He was probably among the likely men to get hit with a harassment claim. He really needed to do some self reflection because he didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with his thinking or that he might be sexist.

People are strange, I suppose smacking with a hammer (AWALT and flounce) is easier than using sound ethical judgement.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

36,591 posts, read 30,939,483 times
[quote=mitsguy2001;53875519]I have seen it happen firsthand, but there are likely no statistics recorded on it.
So you have witnessed a situation where nothing happened yet a female lied and said it did even knowing you were witness to the situation and a man was fired for sexual misconduct you know was false and you didn't come forward?

How exactly did that go down.

That is only if you are fired for being a woman or a minority. Does not apply to white males.

I call BS. Show me the statute where white men are not allowed to file law suits.

Men do not come forward because we know that nobody will take us seriously. In the rare case that a man does come forward, he is just told to grow a thicker skin. Maybe what is needed is for more men to come forward, so that our complaints are taken seriously.
Boohoo. As I stated this has been the scenario for women since day 1. The cards are stacked in your favor, speak up.

But the majority of men are not business owners, CEOs, managers, judges, attorneys, DA's, politicians, etc.
The majority of business owners, CEO's, managers, judges, attorneys, DA's, politicians, etc. are men.

What you say is true, but the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.
Thats what generally happens.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:39 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,650,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
but the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.
And that's what this all boils down. When the pendulum swings too far in any direction on any issue, hysteria, zero tolerance, guilty-until-proven-innocent, and various other aspects of lynch mob "justice" become the rules.

Basically, when an angry mob is running amok doing what angry mobs do...DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT MAKES THEM NOTICE YOU. Rioters, looters, and angry mob participants almost never get held to account for the destruction they cause, but the people who are harmed by their mass hysteria have their lives permanently altered, if not ruined. And the people that fight back are considered villains. Name any of the rioters in LA during the Rodney King riots? Bet you can't, but I bet anyone with Google can find the name of the South Korean guy who fought back. Welcome t how mobs and their media fuel source work.

Think of it like suppression fire versus aimed fire. In battle, suppression fire pins people down with a hail of bullets. It isn't really aimed so much as directed towards an area. Now, you as the opposing soldier can keep your head down until that suppression fire stops, or you can stand up and give the enemy something to aim at. The folks staying down tend to live longer. Same thing here. When the cultural narrative rioters are running about, you can stay down and live longer, or stand up and give them something to aim at. The folks staying down tend to fair better.

For those looking to be pedantic or obtuse, I am obviously using angry mob and suppression/aimed fire as easy metaphors, not suggesting #metoo is actual masked villains running about with Molotov cocktails, or snipers/machine gunners mowing down crowds. The behavior and the dismissal of tolerance, common sense and the rule of law is what I mean. These movements of temporary mass hysteria that result from dramatic pendulum swings always have the same characteristics. One of those is that you don't want to be anywhere near them.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 12-13-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,099,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And that's what this all boils down. When the pendulum swings too far in any direction on any issue, hysteria, zero tolerance, guilty-until-proven-innocent, and various other aspects of lynch mob "justice" become the rules.

Basically, when an angry mob is running amok doing what angry mobs do...DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT MAKES THEM NOTICE YOU. Rioters, looters, and angry mob participants almost never get held to account for the destruction they cause, but the people who are harmed by their mass hysteria have their lives permanently altered, if not ruined.

Think of it like suppression fire versus aimed fire. In battle, suppression fire pins people down with a hail of bullets. It isn't really aimed so much as directed towards an area. Now, you as the opposing soldier can keep your head down until that suppression fire stops, or you can stand up and give the enemy something to aim at. The folks staying down tend to live longer. Same thing here. When the cultural narrative rioters are running about, you can stay down and live longer, or stand up and give them something to aim at. The folks staying down tend to fair better.
Very good point, I agree 1000 %.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
For those looking to be pedantic or obtuse, I am obviously using angry mob and suppression/aimed fire as easy metaphors, not suggesting #metoo is actual masked villains running about with Molotov cocktails, or snipers/machine gunners mowing down crowds. The behavior and the dismissal of tolerance, common sense and the rule of law is what I mean. These movements of temporary mass hysteria that result from dramatic pendulum swings always have the same characteristics. One of those is that you don't want to be anywhere near them.
Actually I think the #metoo movement is all of what you are describing but on-line, not in real life...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,650,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Actually I think the #metoo movement is all of what you are describing but on-line, not in real life...
Which is why I put in the "don't be pedantic" disclaimer. It's a media fueled virtual mob of the cultural narrative. But minus physically destroying property and lighting things on fire (like AntiFa, for instance), they share every single characteristic of a rioting/looting/lynch mob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies