Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:26 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times

Advertisements

I might have considered voting Republican in the next election. I really don't like the Democrats because they do a lot of things that harm America. But it's out of the question in my mind now. I will support only Democrats going forward. This is NOT making America great again in any way, and it does tremendous harm to our country.

This issue is too important, and it's a disgrace to so many partisans agitate for freedom from healthcare. Obamacare is flawed - but without an adequate replacement (here's a clue: the only good alternative is universal healthcare), it is absolutely inane to dismantle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:27 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This will surely be appealed, likely all the way to the SCOTUS. However, with this ruling of unconstitutional at the first stop, it is not an auspicious beginning.
This doesn't impact me so I'm hardly an expert. But a quick google for a friend who is impacted shows that the mandate was not found to be unconstitutional, nor the law itself. In fact, on that the Supreme Court has already ruled. Constitutional ... so the thread is a bit misleading.

What the Judge found to unconstitutional was the ACA paired with the Trump/Congressional law to zero out the mandate.

And, worse, the Texas Judge then departed from the Administration policy of separating the mandate from the remainder of the ACA, which not having a functional replacement a Republican Congress left in place.

His logic in doing THAT is being described as tortuous and, of course, will be subject to appeal.

He is overturning last year's Republican Congressional action that Trump rubber-stamped.

Trump ran on having a big beautiful health care plan. Maybe he could now FINALLY share it?

Now like I said, I don't follow these issues that closely. This is only my take after a 5-minute google that led to a quick text to a friend.

Feel free to be more specific (accurate).

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The Republicans cheering this and calling it a victory must be dumber than a sack of bricks because when millions of people start seeing their health coverage at risk or lost, it's like handing the next election to the democrats.

The demographic that might lose health insurance was already voting Democrat.

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
What ever happened to the Republicans finding a better solution?

Oh that was just a shame? We’re gonna make a bad situation even worse and remain the only country that will allow you to die because you can’t afford your medical bills? What a surprise!!!
The solution was never to mess with it in the first place. Liberals can own this abortion.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:28 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
All Republicans do is destroy destroy destroy. All they care about is making life worse for people. Amazing the party of Jesus celebrating people losing their healthcare and dying. But, as long as some brown people and gay people can suffer and die that’s worth it to Republicans. Absolutely dispicable time in American history we are living through. Absolutely dispicable.
Oh for heaven’s sake, go cry into a pillow.

Ridiculous dramatic hyperbole from you as always.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The demographic that might lose health insurance was already voting Democrat.
Most of the people I know who have ACA policies are self-employed, and early retirees. Are these Democrats? Anyway, as I said above, the ACA is much, much bigger than just health insurance policies. If it were actually repealed with no replacement, it would devastate the health industry in the US.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Roberts declared that Obamacare was a tax. The tax has been legally removed (The mandate is gone) Roberts said without the tax, the plan would be unconstitutional. Roberts ruled that neither the Commerce Clause nor the Necessary & Proper Clause gave Congress the right to enact Obamacare.

This does not mean Roberts can't make something up. They do it all the time, but I doubt he can wiggle out of this.

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
A federal judge in Texas has ruled the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional, finding that the law cannot stand now that Congress has rolled back the mandate that everyone carry health insurance or pay a fine.

The new ruling poses a significant threat to the Affordable Care Act’s most popular and most sweeping health insurance reforms. If affirmed at higher courts, it could roll back Obamacare’s ban on preexisting conditions. Insurers would once again be able to charge sick patients higher premiums.

The Trump administration had partially supported this lawsuit, filing a brief asking the court to overturn Obamacare’s ban on preexisting conditions.

The Court finds the Individual Mandate ‘is essential to’ and inserverable from ‘the other provisions’ of the ACA,” judge Reed O’Connor wrote in a late Friday ruling.

Legal experts on the left and the right believe the arguments being made by Republican-led states are, on their face, uncompelling and unlikely to succeed in overturning the Affordable Care Act.

At the same time, there is a history of lawsuits that most legal experts thought were unpersuasive nonetheless putting ACA in mortal danger — first the lawsuit against the individual mandate and then the challenge to insurance subsidies.

The history of the case further down.

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/14/18065...xas-rulingRead t

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Yep, you can tell morality is out the window. They are no longer the party of values and morals. Instead of being excited for American citizens, they want to stick it to Obama. The right can't produce a better healthcare option. If they did it would have happened a long time ago. No president in history will go down as bad as Treasonous Trump is going down.
They don't want to produce a better plan. It would take money out of their pockets. That applies to both parties.

Get the lobbyists out of DC and money out of politics and then maybe we can start talking about an affordable health care plan for all.

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Someone made a good point on Twitter:

The five justices who vote to uphold the ACA in 2012 are still on the Supreme Court. It will likely be upheld again.
You do realize that it was upheld as a tax law, right? Now the tax component is gone. Chief Justice Roberts actually wrote that opinion himself.

I get that the SCOTUS can overturn previous precedents. But it surely would be unprecedented to see a chief justice overrule an opinion that he himself wrote just a few years ago.

Don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies