Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:16 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,701,210 times

Advertisements

I was in the Army for 6 years and worked for the US Navy as a civilian for many years until retirement after that.
In that time, I saw this type of crap (freezes and furloughs) take place many times.
The bottom line is that the law protects employees affected. The COLA once passed is protected and provided for by law. And employees cannot be furloughed without advance notice so they get paid anyway. Never saw a furlough notice put out that far in advance either.
Any employees working without pay? What a joke. You cannot work someone without paying them, it's called permitted suffering under the laws of our land and is not allowed.
So all the clown is doing is costing taxpayers money to temporarily suspend raises and lay people off that the taxpayers are going to pay anyway.
I seriously doubt the laws have changed since I was an employee although it's been years now.
Politics some say. No, just more BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm just saying I'm a realist. The orange maniac will get his way eventually. He's got too many blind followers. So, it's best that we prepare to pay for the wall that Mexico isn't going to pay for. Freezing pay increases for the federal workers is a start.
People continue to say that Trump did this or Trump did that when in reality as far as anything of anything real he has done very little.

The "Shutdown" will soon end as incumbents know it's not good for re-election. For the most part people aren't even paying attention as it's all been done before and nothing was accomplished.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
I give it under a week before they give in to his demands.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump has to find a way to help pay for the multi-Trillion dollar tax cut he gave to billionaires and large corporations. Cutting middle class worker's pay to pad the pockets of billionaires. This is what you get when you vote for Republicans.
The same thing happened under Obama. Under Obama it was the Fed as opposed to tax cuts but it all does the same thing.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
If people are not being paid, they generally stop going to work.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If people are not being paid, they generally stop going to work.
They will be paid. That have in the past.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They will be paid. That have in the past.
They won't be paid until this is over.

As an illustration, Farmer's Insurance covers rental cars for motorists who are hit by their insured, while their cars are being fixed. But the victim has to pay upfront for the car rental, and will be reimbursed in 6 weeks, after the credit card cycle is due. They very often don't have to reimburse - MANY people can't pay out of pocket a few hundred bucks ahead of when it's due, and will forego having the convenience of a rental.

Same thing here for the federal employees. Just one stiff breeze, and they can't cover it financially.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:04 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
In the usual mudslinging that goes on here, people forget what they are even talking about. Here is a little tidbit that got overlooked.

"Lawmakers could include a pay raise for 2019 in a spending bill to reopen the government, but negotiations have been at an impasse over money for Trump's border wall."

Mrs. Pelosi has some explaining to do.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I give it under a week before they give in to his demands.

You're on. The reverse, maybe, but he is gonna lose this one...…...bigly.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:08 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
tRump has to be seen as "strong" and a "winner" to his hate radio base.

They've been told to hate govt workers.

This will go over well with them.

Check in on this thread from time to time to confirm what I've posted here.

I guess they're incapable of understanding Trump IS a government worker and not some all powerful monarch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies