Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
in that case they get approval for funds to plan it, and plan it only. You don't approve budgets with no plan. No plan means you don't know what it'll cost. So how can you ask for the money to do it if you don't know what it'll cost?

You can't.

Derka durr.

Where are you getting the notion that there is no plan or estimate for the costs of the wall? There absolutely is a plan as to where the barriers will be erected, the type of material that will be used and the total cost is estimated to be $25 billion to complete. It's common knowledge.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
in that case they get approval for funds to plan it, and plan it only. You don't approve budgets with no plan. No plan means you don't know what it'll cost. So how can you ask for the money to do it if you don't know what it'll cost?

You can't.

Derka durr.
I don't get why people think we need to get the money before we plan the wall it makes no sense. You don't go to your boss's office asking for the budget for a new product or division without the plan for it.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:50 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where are you getting the notion that there is no plan or estimate for the costs of the wall? There absolutely is a plan as to where the barriers will be erected, the type of material that will be used and the total cost is estimated to be $25 billion to complete. It's common knowledge.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
There is NO wall plan in that cite. After shutting down the government, Trump can only tell the American public how FY 2018 appropriations are being used with a wish list for FY 2019. The ONLY wall description:
DHS is committed to building a wall at our southern border and building a wall quickly.

Trump's wall is crumbling before he can build. THIS (from at least two years ago continues to be the vision reported in the press): "President Trump’s goal is to build 1,000 miles of wall, in addition to reinforcing the existing 654 miles of barriers along the border." Total length of the border spanned will be less due to the meandering Rio Grande River.
From April 2017 - https://www.factcheck.org/2017/04/tr...irst-100-days/

There are more precise updates:

February 2017 -1,250-mile figure (Homeland Security figure)

July 2017 - 700 to 900 miles (Trump estimate)

January 2018 - 700 miles (Sources speaking to WSJ)
https://qz.com/1172972/trumps-border...ore-expensive/

Current FY 2019 wish list (the $5 billion that led to the government shutdown) - 215 miles (100 miles for new) https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uy/2657385002/

As far as I can tell, Trump shut down the government for a wall-the-really-isn't. He's so busy spinning images that few notice he's left off the numbers.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:53 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,437,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And things have been explained to you "countless times" --- and that doesn't stop you from posting the same thing again and again

And, again, you demand to see a plan before any work is done. You seem unaware that part of the funding will be used to plan the project.

Why is it that you have no problem when we give billions in aid to third world countries without asking them what their plan is for the money?
Seriously? Textbook scammer. Little old ladies are warned about just this sort of " home improvement" scam every day. Who in their right mind gives a suit and tie contractor with multiple bankruptcies ANY $$$ for work based on nothing but rhetoric?
3rd World Countries are supposed to use the money for OBVIOUS food shelter and clothing. To established institutions. Works like our welfare system. That s the plan.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:54 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Welp, we're only 12 days away from shutdown #2.

Trump still says he wants full funding for his wall, and Pelosi says he'll get nothing for the wall, but is willing to give plenty of money towards border security.

Trump has lost all leverage as he's already reopened gov't without getting anything for his wall.

I do not believe there will be another shutdown on this issue.

Trump got his ass-whooped by Pelosi last time and nothing has changed since then.

You know what they say? - 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results'.

Nor do I think declaring a National Emergency will do anything.
Mind you, this is Trump we're talking about so I won't completely hold my breath.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I do not believe there will be another shutdown on this issue.

Trump got his ass-whooped by Pelosi last time and nothing has changed since then.

You know what they say? - 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results'.

Nor do I think declaring a National Emergency will do anything.
Mind you, this is Trump we're talking about so I won't completely hold my breath.
Saw on the news this morning Pelosi's approval rating is up 8% since the shutdown. She absolutely kicked Trump's buttsky.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:00 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Trump may well try this nonsense again, but I bet McConnell won't back his play this time.

Can't wait to see Pelosi's face during tomorrow's SOTU speech when Trump claims credit for ending the shutdown.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Seriously? Textbook scammer. Little old ladies are warned about just this sort of " home improvement" scam every day. Who in their right mind gives a suit and tie contractor with multiple bankruptcies ANY $$$ for work based on nothing but rhetoric?
3rd World Countries are supposed to use the money for OBVIOUS food shelter and clothing. To established institutions. Works like our welfare system. That s the plan.
Who in their right mind would give a "suit and tie contractor" with multiple bankruptcies and reputation for not holding up his end of contracts any amount of money for anything?

Just because Trump supporters believe this con man's BS doesn't meant the rest of us will.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:06 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Who in their right mind would give a "suit and tie contractor" with multiple bankruptcies and reputation for not holding up his end of contracts any amount of money for anything?

Just because Trump supporters believe this con man's BS doesn't meant the rest of us will.
Trump's credit is so bad he has to go to crooked overseas money laundering banks like Deutsche Bank for loans. But sure, let's give this con man swindler $5.7 billion to play with.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
That was clear, but thanks.

That post just had the leftie reference. It plus comments made online on the Cantu book by immigration activists made me realize there really haven't been far-left comments on this forum much - at least on this issue.

There are folks out there who do support more open borders - want to restrict ICE - view the border patrol as abusive - and find the wall a human-rights issue.

Most of the wall discussion is between those taking moderate views (not that all posters are themselves moderate) and far-right posters.

Maybe that's wrong ...
Maybe what's wrong is to forever put differing points of view into the "leftie" and/or right-wing pidgin holes rather than simply stick to what's right vs wrong, true or false, but my point about the number of comments in this thread (lost on some) is that no facts, reason or logic helps to reconcile what everyone already knows and thinks per their preconceived notions and bias.

Or just what has been accomplished along those lines going on near 6,000 comments now?

I've also explained why this dynamic and truth holds true more than a few times in this forum, and although I appreciate what seems the want of intelligent exchange on your part, the influences that prevent that sort of exchange in this forum are formidable.

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-04-2019 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies