Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,537,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
lol...no it wasn't.
Actually for many of us, it was! I was born the the late 50s, never saw my mother in anything but a dress, my dad actually acted like Ward Cleaver, never raised his voice, dressed like him and living in Baltimore, I never saw a black or other non- white person, unless we drove downtown to a department store! I don’t think I ever actually met anyone not in our same socio-economic class until I was a teenager. I remember hearing the word “divorce” when I was ten and my mother explaining how sometimes two married people decide to separate. It’s hard for folks to imagine now and, I know this wasn’t everyone’s experience but, for a lot of folks, life actually was a lot like Leave it to Beaver. Not saying that’s a good thing but just that so much has changed in 50 years! As far as Seinfeld goes, you love it or hate it. I can still laugh at the reruns though I’ve seen them all many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,076,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Actually for many of us, it was! I was born the the late 50s, never saw my mother in anything but a dress, my dad actually acted like Ward Cleaver, never raised his voice, dressed like him and living in Baltimore, I never saw a black or other non- white person, unless we drove downtown to a department store! I don’t think I ever actually met anyone not in our same socio-economic class until I was a teenager. I remember hearing the word “divorce” when I was ten and my mother explaining how sometimes two married people decide to separate. It’s hard for folks to imagine now and, I know this wasn’t everyone’s experience but, for a lot of folks, life actually was a lot like Leave it to Beaver. Not saying that’s a good thing but just that so much has changed in 50 years! As far as Seinfeld goes, you love it or hate it. I can still laugh at the reruns though I’ve seen them all many times.
You do understand that bubbles exist still today and is part of the reason we have such a hard time understanding each other.

But our reality is more reflected in shows that have some kind of diversity.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,960,029 times
I’m assuming Always Sunny is next to be hated too then?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,127,133 times
Millenials don't seem to be able to think about other than what they want or how they feel. I guess they're easily manipulated if they think a reward is involved for thinking a certain way.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:36 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, Buddy, it wasn't. No one mopped the floor in heels and pearls. No one.

Did your mother? Because ok, yes, we have a winner. A mom who mopped the floor wearing heels and pearls and perfect makeup.
Holy cow people. It wasn't LITERALLY like that but the depiction was very close. Do you really think cops solve cases in an hour like they do on CSI and Law and Order too?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You do understand that bubbles exist still today and is part of the reason we have such a hard time understanding each other.

But our reality is more reflected in shows that have some kind of diversity.
No it isn't. Our reality is different for each and every one of us. Do you pick your friends according to diversity? Do you toss friends aside when the circle doesn't have enough diversity? Do you have a quota system that you use that defines your "reality"?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 AM

12,970 posts, read 13,707,820 times
I don't think it was that rare to have a group of friends who are all the same race. People who complain about Jerry won't complain about the Martin Lawrence show which was not any different. ( Martin who by the way slept on Jerry's couch while he was trying to break into the business) What might be rare that today's sitcoms portray is a family that has what I call "one of each," a gay, a interracial couple, a black, a transexual, a divorced person a pothead grandma, and a same sex married couple. That is just as unreal as the Cleavers or Mayberry.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-04-2019 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 AM

21,494 posts, read 10,611,444 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not sure if you noticed the post you replied to was talking about Friends.
I guess I didn’t. I was thinking Seinfeld since the topic is Seinfeld. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,708,579 times
Quote:
Millennials grew up watching this show........

Do people not realize that many millennials are pushing 40????

They don't. I am Gen X and I graduated from college, had been working for quite some time, my friends were getting married and having kids, but I was still reading about "Gen X teens" (when the last Gen Xer was about 25 years old and well out of the teen years).

What's funny is I have a few teen relatives (nieces) that are in high school. They hate it when they are called Millennials. They answer, "Ew, we aren't old people." Haha (they must think I am ancient).

Personally, I hate all this generational garbage. It's basically just astrology (saying an entire group of people, born at a certain time all share the same characteristics). You might as well say those who are Capricorn are offended by this TV show... or those born in the year of the Dragon hate that TV show.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:56 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,841,936 times
Wait so you are saying someone on the internet is mad about something trivial?! Holy crap this is the first time that has ever happened, someone alert the press!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies