Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times

Advertisements

Well I have decided I am all for Dems working on this in Congress, because if they are fiddling around with things like this then it allows for less time to do things that are an actual detriment that have possibility of passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Well I have decided I am all for Dems working on this in Congress, because if they are fiddling around with things like this then it allows for less time to do things that are an actual detriment that have possibility of passing.
That's funny I like that. It sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Can't win, change rules.

No, that's the Republican ploy to change rules in their favor. Hence, gerrymandering.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
its amazing at how many people that are too stupid to vote. but they still have the right. I believe only property owners should have the right to vote

Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Dumbazz D Congressman from Tennessee. If it were to pas, his state of Tennessee would have very little input into who actually elected the Presidents of the US.

NY, TX, FL and CA would be the only states that determined the next President. Screw the rest of you small states.

Politicians would only campaign in about a 20 large population centers. They wouldn't care about anyone else.
Unit go to Trump, it would be vetoed.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its amazing at how many people that are too stupid to vote. but they still have the right. I believe only property owners should have the right to vote
That would take away my voting rights, so I vehemently disagree with you!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Fine then, keep the electoral college but eliminate winner takes all. If your state is 80% red or blue for that matter why should the 20% of votes for the opposing party be ignored, that is wrong.

once again you have no clue about what you speak of. the feds dont set the rules for apportioning EC votes, the STATES DO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You're mixing up individual's votes and a state's representation.

The EC absolutely makes a vote in WY worth almost 4x a vote in CA. That's just the reality. There's literally nothing equal about it.

Popular vote would make individual's votes equal regardless of where you live in the country.

Sure, the state would lose its representation, but I think this highlights a significant philosophical divide. Do we see ourselves as Americans? Or residents of our respective states first, and Americans second?

There's no doubt in my mind that in the 18th century, each state functioned more like an independent country. But in the 21st century? I challenge that premise pretty heavily.

I also don't understand the philosophical argument that more populated states should not have more power. And they do in the EC.

I'd argue if you want to make the EC more fair, do two things: eliminate winner-takes-all vote allocation, and make the elector counts more accurately reflect populations in each state.

That would basically just mirror the popular vote at that point, of course, but I really don't see a valid argument for why it should not.

remember that the founding fathers wanted a WEAK federal government, and the real power in the hands of the people and the states. as for your claim that somehow a vote in WV is worth more than a vote in california for president, that is bull crap.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you have no clue about what you speak of. the feds dont set the rules for apportioning EC votes, the STATES DO.

remember that the founding fathers wanted a WEAK federal government, and the real power in the hands of the people and the states. as for your claim that somehow a vote in WV is worth more than a vote in california for president, that is bull crap.
More accurately the states all had their own self interests and did not trust each other. Its not like the founding fathers said "oh gee, state rule s the best". There was many concessions to get the states to join together for self preservation. Slavery was the first of such compromises.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
As a Texas resident, why should Vermont, approximately 1/56 the population of my state, get as many senators as we do!!

Same argument about California vs Wyoming.

Beyond this, consider the following:

2010 population of the 50 states: 308,156,338

2010 population of the 10 most populous states: 166,762,981. 54.1% of the 2010 population of the 50 States.

2010 population of the 10 least populous states: 8,970,654. 2.9% the 2010 population of the 50 States.

Both sets of states get 20 senators each. Practically a 17-to-1 ratio.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
And once again you resort to personal attacks for no reason at all. I am aware that states make the determination but there is a movement to get the issue heard by the Supreme Court.

Quote:
Here is a new solution, championed by Lawrence Lessig, a Harvard law professor. This last February, his movement (Equalcitizens.US) filed four lawsuits (two in blue and twp in red states), claiming that the “winner takes all” system (presently used in 48 states) violates the 14th Amendment principle of “one person, one vote.” That concept is settled law, most recently applied in the 2000 Supreme Court ruling that elected George W. Bush. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/florida...226-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies