Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So, in essence, the student stresses herself out, again, by restudying and retaking the test, all the while the ETS is off the hook. Sounds like a bit of burden-shifting, does it.....?
When the algorithm already identified her for having similar answers to a person(s) next to her and they followed established procedures then no, no it isn't.

I mean seriously, it's not like they've *got nothing* and are just saying we don't believe your score without anything to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree. Plenty of successful people who didn't score well on the SATs. It is more of a pride issue and people equate the SAT score with natural "intelligence." So regardless of ones ultimate success, people want to score well on it.

An Asian friend of mine said his parents made him take start talking SAT prep in middle school because his parents said that the score will follow him around for the rest of his life. They viewed it as a marker of his intelligence. Not saying that's right, but some do think that way.

Especially being black, I think it probably hurts more that her score is being questioned. I found it odd and a little sad that the government is tracking and publicly posting scores by race:

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=171

That is why I think the score is a big deal to her, and not just some arbitrary test. It can be used to paint a negative narrative and perpetuate negative stereotypes.
1) They track tons of stuff by race. Not sure why you find it sad since it's intended to EXPOSE racial inequality and unfairness. I mean seriously, we've had dozens of articles about companies not having the right %'s of race or gender. Imbalances in lending. Unfairness in criminal justice. etc. etc. etc.

2) The score is a big deal to her because she needs a higher score to get into that college. They wouldn't let her in with a 900 but something 1200+ would work. The girl and her attorney are trying to make it racial to try to pressure SAT or perhaps the University to fold and give her a pass.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I’ve always considered the SAT a good tool but if it’s possible to improve your scores that dramatically in a short space of time I wonder a bit if that’s true.
It's possible to go from getting them all wrong to all right just by guessing.

Short of royally fudging your first attempt like getting off a row on your answer sheet, that kind of skill gain is unheard of. I've known a lot of people over the years that have studied hard, tutors, test prep and taken those tests 5-6 times to try to move up 30-40 points SAT or 1-2 ACT for admission or that next level scholarship and struggled to do so. (Again, if you're familiar with the ACT her score went from 16 to 26 approximately.)

However, that's not why they got flagged but it's the red herring that is being used to distract and try to make it into "they don't believe a black person can work hard and improve" etc.

Unfortunately, SAT cannot release the exam sheets from the suspected students, but that's what the girls attorney knows. In short, he can drag them through the court of public opinion and completely control the narrative because SAT cannot comment on anything that they don't publically disclose.

Last edited by Mathguy; 01-07-2019 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m a flawed man with big clay feet. If there were shenanigans to be committed in my youth, I did ‘em all. Cheating on tests is the least of my tomfoolery. That’s just junior high and high school...I won’t even talk about the crap I pulled in my 4 years of college. I could’ve been jailed for half of it. Funny how my parents til this day still think I was actually a fairly good kid when you consider that they have no idea about a lot of stuff my siblings and I did.

I didn’t really get my head outta my ass until I went in the Army. Best thing that happened to me although I hated every second of it. Lol
No further response beyond this was needed. I have many friends and relatives that have similar stories to your own. The phrase "youthful indiscretions" has been around for centuries for a reason.

Heck, our Whitehouse has had more than a few butts in the big chair that have lead colorful lives especially in their youth.

These days, everyone on the internet just seems to be out for a witch-hunt at the drop of a hat.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:40 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
That's not how it works. Let her retake the test is she's SO prepared for as she claims. Otherwise she can register at a community college and major in Social Services.
It's not up to her to prove her innocence. That was one of the things we fought a Revolutionary War over.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m a flawed man with big clay feet. If there were shenanigans to be committed in my youth, I did ‘em all. Cheating on tests is the least of my tomfoolery. That’s just junior high and high school...I won’t even talk about the crap I pulled in my 4 years of college. I could’ve been jailed for half of it. Funny how my parents til this day still think I was actually a fairly good kid when you consider that they have no idea about a lot of stuff my siblings and I did.

I didn’t really get my head outta my ass until I went in the Army. Best thing that happened to me although I hated every second of it. Lol
Same. I don't think the statute of limitations has ended on a couple of my "incidents".

Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Where there's smoke there's usually a fire.

They didn't accuse the woman of anything and haven't said why the test was canceled.

They told her she can take it again. Quit listening to people with an agenda to push, put on the big girl pants, and take it again.

For anyone not part of the permanent victimhood class, this wouldn't be an issue. (unless there really was something wrong)

Old 01-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Where there's smoke there's usually a fire.

They didn't accuse the woman of anything and haven't said why the test was canceled.

They told her she can take it again. Quit listening to people with an agenda to push, put on the big girl pants, and take it again.

For anyone not part of the permanent victimhood class, this wouldn't be an issue. (unless there really was something wrong)
Something has to give. The authorities need to tell the entire truth or she needs to confess if she did cheat. By entire truth, why aren't the others involved, under the spotlight? They can at least say others involved have cooperated if they have, without naming names. I wonder exactly how similar the scores are and how they cheated if they did cheat.
When they say others, I took it as a group had the similar answers, vs this happens a decent amount of the time and there are a few who do it but the cases are not related.

Something strange is going on imo.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:24 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) They track tons of stuff by race. Not sure why you find it sad since it's intended to EXPOSE racial inequality and unfairness. I mean seriously, we've had dozens of articles about companies not having the right %'s of race or gender. Imbalances in lending. Unfairness in criminal justice. etc. etc. etc.

2) The score is a big deal to her because she needs a higher score to get into that college. They wouldn't let her in with a 900 but something 1200+ would work. The girl and her attorney are trying to make it racial to try to pressure SAT or perhaps the University to fold and give her a pass.
I agree with this. I think I worded my original post poorly. I know they obviously track SAT scores by race. I just didn't know they post it publicly on their website. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but when I was taking the test (a long time ago, in the mid/late 90s), I could have cared less what other White students scored. I only cared about my score. To show racial inequalities is fine, but I think posting these scores can also perpetuate negative stereotypes as well.

Yes. A 900 is not competitive at all, although I don't know if it would automatically disqualify her from getting into FSU. Harvard or top tier schools, yes, but FSU, probably not; especially since she's in-state. I believe the article mentioned that a higher SAT score was need for a scholarship or for that particular program she was interested in. I don't think it is automatically a racial issue either. I found an article (unrelated to this case) where a SAT spokesperson mentioned that improving by more than 150-200 points was unlikely but that with hard studying, a student could improve by 150-200 points. So they seem to be really hung up on the max they think students can improve; so it seems her level of improvement more than anything was what caused all the red flags.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:56 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Something has to give. The authorities need to tell the entire truth or she needs to confess if she did cheat. By entire truth, why aren't the others involved, under the spotlight? They can at least say others involved have cooperated if they have, without naming names. I wonder exactly how similar the scores are and how they cheated if they did cheat.
When they say others, I took it as a group had the similar answers, vs this happens a decent amount of the time and there are a few who do it but the cases are not related.

Something strange is going on imo.
Mostly because ETS wasn't who broke the story, the student, and her attorney did. Had that not happened this wouldn't even had been a story. ETS doesn't issue press releases on what amounts to an internal matter.

There were some scoring issues several years ago. ETS did notify the students, and testing coordinators, involved but said nothing publicly. It became public when some students went to the press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies