Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are many black Muslims in Detroit and elsewhere in this country.
Quite a few are native born.
. . . and black.

Apologies to black muslims.

My point was that the demographics numbers refer to race, not religion or nationality.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
There is no photo anywhere on the internet showing the photo of a map hanging on a wall in a office with this person standing near it. This a hate thread of Palestinian American.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There is no photo anywhere on the internet showing the photo of a map hanging on a wall in a office with this person standing near it. This a hate thread of Palestinian American.
That is not conclusive proof that it's a hate thread, but it's plausible.

She has not commented on it, so who knows?

Old 01-06-2019, 09:26 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I agree. Palestinians are being slaughtered by the Israelis, using American tax dollars and American military aid, but a Palestinian-American should not be allowed to protest. That's what the OP is advocating for.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree. Palestinians are being slaughtered by the Israelis, using American tax dollars and American military aid, but a Palestinian-American should not be allowed to protest. That's what the OP is advocating for.
And the OP seems to have abandoned this thread. Sad. I was hoping for civil discourse.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,476,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes....that's enough. She is saying that Israel should not exist, and that the entire land is Palestine. That's a problem.
How can you know that?

Perhaps her point is that Palestine should be recognized as a sovereign state. In any case she, and her constituents are entitled to any opinion, as long as it agrees with yours.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:00 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,353,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
U.S. is abandoning allies left and right. We are about to double cross the Kurds, again.

Aside from Evangelical rapture fantasies, what's so special about Israel?

We pay a steep price for protecting Israel. Why? What U.S. national interest does it serve?
The price has been steep. Not all US foreign policy need serve clear US national interests. Substantial constituencies need only to support it. At this point in time, rightwing Christians are one of those constituencies - one that has been carefully nurtured by Israel. A larger issue is that Israel is a nuclear power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Is there really no way for a person to support the rights of both the Israelis and the Palestinians? This business of being accused of hating one side the moment you express concern for the other really stinks.
Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
And the OP seems to have abandoned this thread. Sad. I was hoping for civil discourse.
The subject simply is too emotional for many, particularly for those with family histories connected to the holocaust.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:18 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,285,052 times
I dont think from my posting that anyone could argue that I am not an American first. I consider myself an American nationalist, by the Webster definition, not by the new liberal definition based on a fiction writer’s point of view.

At the same time, I am very pro-Israel, and and that means an Israel that remains a Jewish nation. I take comfort in knowing that if anyone tries to exterminate Jews again, that they have their own army that will come to defend them. And that they have a place on the planet where they know they will be welcome for the sake of their own safety. I firmly believe that the holocaust would have had a much different outcome if Israel had existed at that time. While I would like to believe that other countries would be quicker to defend Jews this point in history, I dont want to count on the benevolence of others. I feel better knowing that Jews can count on themselves to defend themselves.

I am not dismayed by the election of this congresswoman. Instead, I am hoping it is a wake up call to liberal Jews. I live in an area with many Jews, and while most of them are liberal, there are a lot more conservative Jews than people give credit for. I have no problem finding Jews that are politically aligned with my way of thinking. That said, even the most liberal Jews I know, are pro Israel, so I am hoping their survival instinct kicks in and they realize that maybe the Democratic Party is not the party for them. For all of Trump’s personality issues, his Israeli stance and policies are a stark contrast to Obama’s. This can be illustrated by the fact that Israel is naming train stations, parks, and streets after him.

I hate all antisemites, regardless of whether they are right wing antisemites or left wing antisemites. I feel like a lot of left wing Jews make excuses for the left wing antisemites, but I am hoping that as they become more emboldened, the left wing Jews will change their votes, as well as their political contributions. I am encouraged by the change of heart of Alan Dershowitz in response to Keith Ellison’s rise to the deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee. It is my hope that we will see more of this as the left wing antisemites become more emboldened.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont think from my posting that anyone could argue that I am not an American first. I consider myself an American nationalist, by the Webster definition, not by the new liberal definition based on a fiction writer’s point of view.

At the same time, I am very pro-Israel, and and that means an Israel that remains a Jewish nation. I take comfort in knowing that if anyone tries to exterminate Jews again, that they have their own army that will come to defend them. And that they have a place on the planet where they know they will be welcome for the sake of their own safety. I firmly believe that the holocaust would have had a much different outcome if Israel had existed at that time. While I would like to believe that other countries would be quicker to defend Jews this point in history, I dont want to count on the benevolence of others. I feel better knowing that Jews can count on themselves to defend themselves.

I am not dismayed by the election of this congresswoman. Instead, I am hoping it is a wake up call to liberal Jews. I live in an area with many Jews, and while most of them are liberal, there are a lot more conservative Jews than people give credit for. I have no problem finding Jews that are politically aligned with my way of thinking. That said, even the most liberal Jews I know, are pro Israel, so I am hoping their survival instinct kicks in and they realize that maybe the Democratic Party is not the party for them. For all of Trump’s personality issues, his Israeli stance and policies are a stark contrast to Obama’s. This can be illustrated by the fact that Israel is naming train stations, parks, and streets after him.

I hate all antisemites, regardless of whether they are right wing antisemites or left wing antisemites. I feel like a lot of left wing Jews make excuses for the left wing antisemites, but I am hoping that as they become more emboldened, the left wing Jews will change their votes, as well as their political contributions. I am encouraged by the change of heart of Alan Dershowitz in response to Keith Ellison’s rise to the deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee. It is my hope that we will see more of this as the left wing antisemites become more emboldened.
And yet, not a word about right wing antisemitism becoming emboldened. Why would any self-respecting American Jew support a party that harbors neo-Nazi skinheads? Who, according to our president, represent some very fine people?

Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,569,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Is there really no way for a person to support the rights of both the Israelis and the Palestinians? This business of being accused of hating one side the moment you express concern for the other really stinks.
It is completely ridiculous but such is the nature of political discussion today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
My niece is a liberal who thought she could help bridge the gap between students who support the Palestine movement and those like herself who feel Israel is unfairly viewed as the oppressor. It didn't work. She said there was no room for compromise. Supporters of Palestine see their cause as noble. End of discussion. My niece ran across graffiti on campus over the past four years bashing Israel. Now my nephew who is a top high school student refuses to attend UCB.

My guess is it will only be a matter of time before the Palestine/Israel conflict moves up the ladder of importance within the Dem party. The Palestinians no doubt will be seen as virtuous and Israel to blame for the decades of conflict.
Again, demonstration of completely all or nothing conservative thinking.

The 'compromise' thing works both ways. Israel has no room for compromise either. My son visited there 2 years ago and stayed at an Airbnb and the female host showed them around; he really liked her. BUT according to her, they are taught to hate palestinians from early education on. Although, as an outsider, he tried to see both points of view - he said it was not up for discussion and he certainly didn't want to offend his host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The OP has no interest in civil discourse. This thread was created to try and bash democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies